BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
I have Dexcool. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
I have Dexcool. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
I have Dexcool. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
I have Dexcool. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
I have Dexcool. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
I have Dexcool. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
I have Dexcool. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
I have Dexcool. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
I have Dexcool. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I have Dexcool.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SPCS

SPCS

I have Dexcool. Empty
PostSubject: I have Dexcool.   I have Dexcool. EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Cooling system troubles. I've had a few. From '91 to '96, from L03 to LT1, I haven't owned a single Caprice that hasn't at some point spectacularly blown up one or more random cooling system parts.
Usually far away from home or in the middle of the night or on busy road with no shoulder to pull over to. Sometimes two or more of these circumstances combined.

I've had cracked radiator tanks, cracked reservoirs, leaking caps, more cracked radiators, cracked radiators, leaking radiators, clogged radiators, leaking hoses, leaking tees, leaking heater cores, clogged heater cores, cracked radiators of course, failed waterpumps, stuck thermostats, cracked heater control valves, leaking thermostat housings... you name it. And cracked radiators, of course.

I keep spares for virtually every part of the cooling system. And it's not like I live in the desert or something.

Right now, radiators on both my L05 1A2 and my civilian l03 are leaking, and today, the thermostat on my white 94 LT1 9C1 just quit working. Everything ok one second, overheating the next, with the radiator outlet hose cold to the touch. When I pulled the thermostat, it was stuck. Solidly, permanently stuck. Not a bit sticky. Stuck. Irreversible. Oh well, as I said, I keep spares, so that was no big deal.

It reminded me however, of a bigger deal: Dexcool.

I've learned to stay away from 96s, that's why I own all these 94s. But sometimes even the best plans fail, and that's why I own a 94 that was converted to Dexcool use when it was new. Yes. I have the service records. Purchased by a San Francisco Area Agency in 1994, put in service in 1996 (the same agency bought 20 96s and started using them in 2000). Whatever made them think that was a good idea. Well, I admit it might have truly seemed like one back then.

They also ran the LT1 on non-synthetic 15W40, which to me seems a bit over the top even in California. Not as bad as the 140Wsomething they used in the rearend. I know for a fact that wasnt't a good idea. 3000 Mile oil change interval for the transmission, though! And before you ask, I got the records after I purchased the car.

Aaanyway, back to the point: I have Dexcool. For several years, I've managed to ignore the fact, but today's failed thermostat served as a drastic reminder. The stuff is starting to go off. Something needs to be done.

So, what can I do? I've read the TSB, but I have no access to anything remotely capable of actually flushing the system for several hours. Garden hose yes, but from what I know that won't do. No GM Dealerships around here, either, and no way I'm gonna let a German shop give this a try. Dexcool is unheard of here.

What are my options? Anybody been thru this? DIY Dexcool remedy? Of course I can take all the components apart, pull the knock sensors and start hosing the *#+'* out of the block, but if there's a better way, short of performing the full TSB, please let me know.

Right now I'm thinking basic flushing and refilling with fresh dexcool every few weeks till the stuff comes out clear. But what I really want is nice, fresh, GREEN coolant in my system. Is there a way? Help!
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

I have Dexcool. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have Dexcool.   I have Dexcool. EmptyThu May 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Here we have antifreeze that mixes with all types. Dex-cool, or regular green. I am sure you must have it there too. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/AutoZone-50-50-antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=540721_0_0_
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

I have Dexcool. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have Dexcool.   I have Dexcool. EmptyThu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Both of my 96's have the green stuff, someone converted over at some point. Just hope they did a good cleaning before mixing Surprised
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

I have Dexcool. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have Dexcool.   I have Dexcool. EmptyThu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

I always drain the system, (knock sensor pulled too) and then Fill with plain water and some prestone FLUSH. run the car a while in the garage to circulate, drain again and fill with regular water, run again to get car to temp and circulate. Then full drain AGAIN, add plain water back in and hook up a hose with a barbed end to some of the hoses and run the water for a bit to push the water through the pump, heater core, and radiator. Drain it back out and Fill with the green stuff and your done. Never had an issue this way. Might be overkill but why risk it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I have Dexcool. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have Dexcool.   I have Dexcool. Empty

Back to top Go down

I have Dexcool.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-
Jump to: