BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)

Go down 
+7
bowtiepimp
Matt Trakker
sdstick
SPCS
V8Killer
toomanytoyz
chapel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) Empty
PostSubject: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:04 am

Fred on LongRoof said it's probably coming from the side window, roof seam or possibly the vent window...
there's about 3 gallons of water in my driver fender and another half a gallon in the plastic fender tray/cupholder.

boy, am I glad I didn't install my amp and sub in there yet.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:48 am

Yeah, pretty much anyone who owns one. Unplug the drain holes. Live with it. Lol.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:50 am

the drain holes in the fender you mean?
ugh, guess my amp isn't going in the fender well...
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Yup, the joy of a wagon Laughing

I don't think there is anything in the back that DOES'NT leak..... Mad
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 12:42 pm

great...

I HATE water... if there's one thing that keeps me up at night or wakes me in a cold sweat, it's water.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:43 pm

where the hell is the fender drain hole?
Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Should be under the Spare. Unless somebody did some patching down there. In that case, drill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:09 pm

SPCS wrote:
Should be under the Spare. Unless somebody did some patching down there. In that case, drill.

Sorry, driver side, not passenger
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:19 pm

If the wagons like the sedan, there's a little 1" round knockout ( not knocked out at all) 1/2 way between the rear wheel & the bumper.
From underneath look at the vertical sheetmetal.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm

someone mentioned the drain being 'clogged'
I assumed there was a hole already there. The car was resprayed at one point and I'm wondering if it got sprayed over which clogged it
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Nah....probably not....drill thru & dodge the stream

Crovo calls them drain holes...cuz....that 's what he makes them Arrow
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I'll have to buy some rust inhibitor and primer if I'm drilling through the rear fenders... last thing I want is my rust free wagon to turn into a rot basket
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Maybe there's a way to check with a hose, starting down low and moving up, to see where the water is coming in, then use some sealant to stop the leak?
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

I'll use my ultrasonic tester when the shop opens up to find it, but it sounds like a pain in the balls to fix. apparently I have to remove the headliner
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Thats 15yrs worth in there.
Drill the hole & fugetaboudit
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:12 pm

in what where?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm

15 years worth of leaking, collecting, evaporating etc.
If you give it a place to go, hit it with undercoat &....just drive.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I sucked it all up with a shop vac. Gonna let it dry first. Only about a gallon.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Drill it. Oil it. Done.

It leaks from the roof rack, roof cross bars, side windows, vent windows and probably the vista roof doesn't leak. They all come from the factory that way. Boo.

Mine are rotted from the inside out on the marshmallow cuz I didn't do that. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Is this thread not covered in wagon ownership 101..... scratch
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Just a reminder from the March 18th Mod Day -- check your rear wheel wells Smile

anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) 0299
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Thankfully mine are still solid.

Thankfully I also have an entire PS wheel wheel in the garage.

Back to top Go down
SPCS

SPCS

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:26 am

I'll send you a bucket of Germany's own Mike Sanders Hohlraumfett, if you're willing to cover the shipping... Very Happy

http://www.mike-sander.de/

After that, you'll be able to drive and park your car underwater submarine-style if you have to and not worry about rust ever again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:11 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Drill it. Oil it. Done.

It leaks from the roof rack, roof cross bars, side windows, vent windows and probably the vista roof doesn't leak. They all come from the factory that way. Boo.

Mine are rotted from the inside out on the marshmallow cuz I didn't do that. Sad

This.

My old blue 96 RMW, the super clean NC car, was filled with water in the drivers rear. Drilled a small hole, problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:23 am

96Brougham wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:
Drill it. Oil it. Done.

This.

My old blue 96 RMW, the super clean NC car, was filled with water in the drivers rear. Drilled a small hole, problem solved.

I remember when you did that at Doug's. Terror filled my eyes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm

drilled a 1/4" hole, sprayed both sides with bedliner...

voila
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm

chapel wrote:
drilled a 1/4" hole, sprayed both sides with bedliner...

voila

Hope you properly dried the fenders, and sanded any rust before you did that or else you just painted over all that moisture.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:17 pm

yeah... I... um... wiped it with a paper towel a bit on both ends...

but there was no rust to start with.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:26 pm

chapel wrote:
yeah... I... um... wiped it with a paper towel a bit on both ends...

but there was no rust to start with.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 9:29 pm

yeah, I was planning on doing it again next week anyway...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:05 pm

chapel wrote:
yeah, I was planning on doing it again next week anyway...

Arrow Much better!

I would strip all of that off, dry it off very extensively undercoat it then oil it every oil change. Less waste oil to deal with that way too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:29 pm

I mean, it's just a 1/4" hole... I was just planning on filing the hole back again to bare metal and spraying it again after drying it properly.

There was no rust or corrosion at all in the inner fender.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:08 pm

chapel wrote:
I mean, it's just a 1/4" hole... I was just planning on filing the hole back again to bare metal and spraying it again after drying it properly.

There was no rust or corrosion at all in the inner fender.

No rust at all is all well and good until you undercoat something with moisture trapped underneath it. I would use some POR-15 or SEM rust shield or something first then some undercoating.

I just don't know why the factory didn't have a proper drain hole in there scratch
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm

oh right, I see what you mean...
crap, now you got me worried about the areas I blasted just for the hell of it.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:41 pm

chapel wrote:
oh right, I see what you mean...
crap, now you got me worried about the areas I blasted just for the hell of it.

Yeah that week of rain wont help either. Scrape that crap off and really treat it well or that Carolina car will look like a Connecticut car in no time.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:43 pm

crap... this stuff isn't going to be easy to scrape off
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:46 pm

chapel wrote:
crap... this stuff isn't going to be easy to scrape off

Wire wheel it, if that fails. Heat gun and a paint scrapper. None of that stuff breathes at all so anything under it will just eat the other way out. Kind of like when Rusty Jones wasn't applied right.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:49 pm

that's what I was thinking... ugh, what a mess.

I just wanted to get that water out and a drain drilled before this weeks rain.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 12:52 am

chapel wrote:
that's what I was thinking... ugh, what a mess.

I just wanted to get that water out and a drain drilled before this weeks rain.

It will certainly help with that, drain is better than no drain! You just don't want to leave that moisture under there for TOOO long. You can let it slide a bit until we finish this false April and actually get into May Rolling Eyes and its dries that crap up. But remember that rust doesn't sleep!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)   anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons) Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone ever have their rear fender fill with water (wagons)
Page 1 of 1