BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

GM's future role in NASCAR?

Go down 
+6
Cadet57
8bud
toomanytoyz
Pooge
Matt Trakker
MASShole9C1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

GM's future role in NASCAR? Empty
PostSubject: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 pm

While talking with my father on the phone tonight, he informed me that GM hinted, but gave no confirmation, that they are looking into using the caprice/holden commador as a future template starting next season. I'm not a NASCAR fan anymore, not sure if anyone here really is, but my 'rents live in the deep south and are hardcore fans. They were when they lived in MA. So, anyone with more or any info at all, post here. I'm interested to see what happens only because its a caprice we're talkin' 'bout here.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Wouldn't be the first time!

GM's future role in NASCAR? See-caprices-are-cool

GM's future role in NASCAR? NascarCapriceKylePetty

GM's future role in NASCAR? 75714-500-0

I heard the same as you, that it's a different car that's going to be used in conjunction with the new relaxed regulations that allow the cars to actually resemble their corporate twins. Supposedly, it would be under a "new" nameplate and is supposed to be unveiled soon...
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Wouldn't be the first time!

GM's future role in NASCAR? See-caprices-are-cool

I heard the same as you, that it's a different car that's going to be used in conjunction with the new relaxed regulations that allow the cars to actually resemble their corporate twins. Supposedly, it would be under a "new" nameplate and is supposed to be unveiled soon..

Heard the same

Also pretty sure I had a matchbox of that exact car...probably where it all started

Doug
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 am

I believe I still have the same one you are talking about among many others.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:30 am

I had the gatorade caprice when I was a kid, too. Pretty sure I also had that 42, too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 am

I thought I had the Gatorade Hot Wheels, but I think it was a white Buick Regal?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
I thought I had the Gatorade Hot Wheels, but I think it was a white Buick Regal?
I had that in the 1/25th scale ATM plastic model back in the early 80s. And it was a 81 or 82 regal.
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Last I heard they were considering calling it the commodore, but I'll wait to believe anything until chevy announces it. It would make sense since they are supposed to be releasing the impala ss from that platform. They can import them together.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

I wish they'd retool a plant to build some vehicles on that platform in N. America- I'm not exactly sure about how it all works, but I've read that a lot of cars are simply not sold in the US right now because the exchange rate between Euros/Australian dollars and our dollar just sucks and makes importing them costly somehow. In Ireland I saw a VW Scirocco there that has been for sale for a few years now and looks like a miniature Audi R8 almost, but VW won't sell it here. It's also part of the reason some small diesels aren't sold here too...I guess.

I just remembered that my Hot Wheels said "Mountain Dew" on it:

GM's future role in NASCAR? $(KGrHqQOKkYE5soU9QE(BOoNFJ2J-Q~~60_35

By the time I lost it in a pile of firewood (when my dad took away the pile years later I never found the cars LOL) along with the car pictured below, the tampos (decals) were completely worn off and the car was just white... Laughing

GM's future role in NASCAR? Matchbox_Plymouth_Gran%20Fury_BJ5n
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

Yep!

I had it too. Was def a buick. In fact, I think the underside even said NASCAR Buick.

As to GM using the Caprice, the last thing I read is that in order for it to be used, naturally they'd have to put the Caprice into civi production. To do this, they were rumored to be replacing the Impala with the Caprice. However, spyshots have come out of the 2013 fullsize sporting Impala badges Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

Yep!

I had it too. Was def a buick. In fact, I think the underside even said NASCAR Buick.

As to GM using the Caprice, the last thing I read is that in order for it to be used, naturally they'd have to put the Caprice into civi production. To do this, they were rumored to be replacing the Impala with the Caprice. However, spyshots have come out of the 2013 fullsize sporting Impala badges Crying or Very sad

IIRC, the Hot Wheels said "Mountain Dew Stocker" on the underside of it...

Justin, where did you see these spy shots with the badges? I've seen the ones that showed the new Impala covered in camo crap...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

All this talk and no link? Fail! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

Justin, where did you see these spy shots with the badges? I've seen the ones that showed the new Impala covered in camo crap...

It was autoblog or Jalopnik. I saw the camo wrap ones, and then a few days later there was another with Impala badges. Lemme dig around...

Here's the camo wraps. Also note the article states this car is a FWD on the same platform as the Malibu and ATS.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/12/2014-chevrolet-impala-takes-shape/

Still looking for the badge shots...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:22 pm

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/21/new-york-auto-show-confirms-2014-chevy-impala-debut-via-facebook/
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/21/new-york-auto-show-confirms-2014-chevy-impala-debut-via-facebook/

The last two paragraphs make me happy! cheers

New caprice at the dealership for me and not the cops Cool That'd be cool! Then again I couldn't afford it.
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Then again I couldn't afford it.

That's what I thought in the 1990s. Just had to wait to get one used Very Happy
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 1:55 am

mp775 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Then again I couldn't afford it.

That's what I thought in the 1990s. Just had to wait to get one used Very Happy

I knew I wanted a boxy since age three! My nana had an 89 Bro-ham! I loved it! Cool

I talked to a guy tonight at the World of wheels from GMPP he said tehre may be something coming down the line but he couldn't say much. A different GMPP guy said he didn't know, then I pushed more and he said anything about a rear drive impala is just rumors...I STILL (want to) call BS on that though. I hope I'm right!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-new-york-2012/#content

Honestly, a pretty good looking car...some style cues remind me of the 77 Impala up front as well as the 91+ in the rear...too bad it's not RWD and such but they're talking about that thing with Nascar so who knows, I think considering the circumstances this is a nice cah. Especially because they didn't to that friggin' split grille up front.

GM's future role in NASCAR? 2014-Chevrolet-Impala-front-three-quarters.JPG

GM's future role in NASCAR? 2014-Chevrolet-Impala-side-2.JPG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-new-york-2012/#content

Honestly, a pretty good looking car...some style cues remind me of the 77 Impala up front as well as the 91+ in the rear...too bad it's not RWD and such but they're talking about that thing with Nascar so who knows, I think considering the circumstances this is a nice cah. Especially because they didn't to that friggin' split grille up front.

GM's future role in NASCAR? 2014-Chevrolet-Impala-front-three-quarters.JPG

GM's future role in NASCAR? 2014-Chevrolet-Impala-side-2.JPG
Looks like a Cruz was raped by a Camaro............ I love it. cheers
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20120517/BUSINESS0101/120517018/GM-introduces-rear-wheel-drive-Chevrolet-performance-sedan-first-time-17-years
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Kinda reminds me of a TORE-ASS
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm guessing this means no U.S. Caprice wagon Sad
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:45 pm

LOL! Saw this on the MIATA forum! Very Happy

http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevrolet-confirms-upcoming-v8-powered-rear-drive-ss-sedan-will-form-basis-for-2013-nascar-entry/

I guess everyone is watching. Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:44 am

"Chevy SS"...that's the best they could come up with...of all the names out there? Someone must have been in a real rush to get home and take a dump or something.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:49 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
LOL! Saw this on the MIATA forum! Very Happy

http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevrolet-confirms-upcoming-v8-powered-rear-drive-ss-sedan-will-form-basis-for-2013-nascar-entry/

I guess everyone is watching. Wink

LOL I got this link trolling the cougar forum earlier today, go figure! Everyone is jealous! Razz
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:39 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
"Chevy SS"...that's the best they could come up with...of all the names out there? Someone must have been in a real rush to get home and take a dump or something.
Exactly. Why not just call it a Caprice. That is what it is called every were else. I really think GM has no clue sometimes. Plus it is going to be limited production. So it is not going to be cheap. The attraction to the 94-96 Impala SS was the price and performance.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat May 19, 2012 1:21 pm

That, and "SS" is an optional package applies to an assortment of vehicles. How can you have a model named solely that? Shows how people who do not care get promoted to upper echelons of marketing departments.

Honestly, if they called it the "Super Sport", I wouldn't be nearly as turned off...that and use the old mid 60's Impala Super Sport fender emblems or something like that. But still, it's not a model name per se.

And true, this car should cost marginally higher than a cop-spec Caprice does, it should not be some vaunted halo car like the Corvette. This just removes any fun from the equation!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? EmptySat May 19, 2012 1:22 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Exactly. Why not just call it a Caprice. That is what it is called every were else. I really think GM has no clue sometimes. Plus it is going to be limited production. So it is not going to be cheap. The attraction to the 94-96 Impala SS was the price and performance.

Autoblog has reported they're also toying with a wagon ( Cool ) and a Ute version. My guess, if the 9C1 and the "SS" sell well enough look for a more basic Caprice to come along as well. As it is now, you figure you have the 9C1 which is pretty basically equipped and then the SS on the opposite end of the spectrum. People may still want a nice big RWD car but dont need the SS goodies. Or, you'd need a nice car to convince your boss to buy when he dumps his MKZ's Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GM's future role in NASCAR?   GM's future role in NASCAR? Empty

Back to top Go down

GM's future role in NASCAR?
Page 1 of 1