BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?

Go down 
+3
Matt Trakker
95brmw
Cadet57
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? Empty
PostSubject: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 5:06 pm

My bro wants to ditch his peg leg 2:56 come spring for something with a posi, preferably a 9C1 or Impala rear. What's the going rate for a ready to go rear end in good shape with preferably low miles?
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 6:36 pm

It took me a good month to get $100 for a my 3.08 posi drum rear
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 6:41 pm

How big of a deal is the rear end swap on one of these? I kind of would like to get something with more bite, ratio wise, but I'd probably sell the car and get something different after the crap I had to do on my truck's rear end swap, and that wasn't even with me physically bolting it in there!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
How big of a deal is the rear end swap on one of these? I kind of would like to get something with more bite, ratio wise, but I'd probably sell the car and get something different after the crap I had to do on my truck's rear end swap, and that wasn't even with me physically bolting it in there!
Swap is easy. Driveway, jack, jack stands, and two guys: About two hours. 11 bolts, ebrake cables, abs wire, and brake line.

Good time to install new axle bearings, seals, and fresh fluid with a fel-pro diff cover gasket.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 6:59 pm

What would be the best swap, something from a B4U Caprice or Impala SS? I'm assuming there's a lot of BS involved with going from drum to disc?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
What would be the best swap, something from a B4U Caprice or Impala SS? I'm assuming there's a lot of BS involved with going from drum to disc?
Very easy actually. If you want to keep the drums, and the new rear is disc, just pull the axles (should do anyways for bearg seal replacement), and swap backing plates. If going from drum to drum, go for the bigger drums. If the new rear has discs and that is what you want to use, you will need the both rear ebrake cables from the donor car. The best setup from the factory would be the 94-96 posi/disc rear from a L99 9C1. It comes with 3.23 final ratio. Or g80 equipped 9c1 or any impala ss will have 3.08 final ratio.
Some of the 91-93 cars may even have lower gears, and would still work.
If you are adding discs to a non disc car, just get the stealth brake bolt, and metering rod.
If you feel like it is too much, bring the rear end to me with the car, I will swap it out for you.
This is also a great time to replace the rear shocks.

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Very easy actually. If you want to keep the drums, and the new rear is disc, just pull the axles (should do anyways for bearg seal replacement), and swap backing plates,. And you will need the both rear ebrake cables. If going from drum to drum, go for the bigger drums. The best setup from the factory would be the 94-96 posi/disc rear from a L99 9C1. It comes with 3.23 final ratio.
If you are adding discs to a non disc car, just get the stealth brake bolt, and metering rod.
If you feel like it is too much, bring the rear end to me with the car, I will swap it out for you.
This is also a great time to replace the rear shocks.

Pretty much what my brother wants to do. New rear, shocks, springs, the works.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 pm

I had been planning to do an axle swap on my 1A2 for a few months now, just too lazy to remove the rust off the replacement axle and plumb new brake lines Surprised
I was going to do a gear and carrier swap originally but I was talked out of it because its a pain to get the gears installed properly. Much easier to swap in a new axle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 pm

If it was me, I would go balls out, and replace shocks, brakes, ebrake horseshoe on disc car, outer bearings, seals, all eight control arm bushings or new control arms, and not have to do any work in the rear for a very long time.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:33 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
If it was me, I would go balls out, and replace shocks, brakes, ebrake horseshoe on disc car, outer bearings, seals, all eight control arm bushings or new control arms, and not have to do any work in the rear for a very long time.

Probably would. Thats why we're going to do it come spring, give him time to get everything together and source out a good rear end.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Last time I did one I just hung the calipers and brakes lines still connected. Coat hangers > TBI > sliced bread!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Do it yourself. Swap for swap is the cheapest. I (mistakenly) had a "reputable" shop swap carriers to a posi, and I over spent. Trust me. I will be doing it myself from now on.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Yeah, from now on for me it's either a whole good rear end just being bolted in, or a full on rebuild with all new parts...messing with and adjusting bearings gears and all that crap near the center just seems like it's impossible to get done without having noise as a result, nevermind more serious headaches...
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 8:11 am

Its a pain in the ass on the ground, find a buddy with a lift and a tranny jack. Oh and difinatly find a buddy. Cause i did mine alone 3 times and it SUCKS!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:27 pm

remember you'll need a different driveshaft, 8.5 rears takes a shorter one, make sure you make it look pretty, yeah on the ground was a pia, but moving it up and out of the cellar by yourself well thats more fun..
So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? Hpim0168

it was easier for me to roll it under the car

So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? Hpim0184
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 4:31 pm

waynes91 wrote:
remember you'll need a different driveshaft, 8.5 rears takes a shorter one

Thanks for the heads up. Never knew the DS was different.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
waynes91 wrote:
remember you'll need a different driveshaft, 8.5 rears takes a shorter one

Thanks for the heads up. Never knew the DS was different.

I think he means on the sedans, wagons should all be the same.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 5:58 pm

It would be a sedan. My bro has a 93 LS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Depending on the final gear, it could be either size. A 2.56 would be a 7.5, and a anything 2.93 or higher would be a 8.5 if memory serves me, and yes there is a difference in driveshaft size. A set of long trailing arms should compensate if you have the smaller diff/longer DS. I actually have long forgotten the length difference, since I have never owned any b-body with the smaller differential.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:28 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Depending on the final gear, it could be either size. A 2.56 would be a 7.5, and a anything 2.93 or higher would be a 8.5 if memory serves me, and yes there is a difference in driveshaft size. A set of long trailing arms should compensate if you have the smaller diff/longer DS. I actually have long forgotten the length difference, since I have never owned any b-body with the smaller differential.

Yeah, he has the 7.5 2:56 rear. That part I knew. I just never knew there were two sizes of d/s's What would an 8.5 driveshaft run plus the rear end?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am

Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Yeah, he has the 7.5 2:56 rear. That part I knew. I just never knew there were two sizes of d/s's What would an 8.5 driveshaft run plus the rear end?
First of all, I would be talking to Doug or one of the many other guys here who sell parts from parts cars. You will keep it in the familiy so to speak, plus get a good deal on the rearend and driveshaft. cheers
I like Junk yards for some things, but there is nothing like a drive to Walpole NH to clear the head, get a good deal and help a friend. Arrow
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:

First of all, I would be talking to Doug or one of the many other guys here who sell parts from parts cars. You will keep it in the familiy so to speak, plus get a good deal on the rearend and driveshaft. cheers
I like Junk yards for some things, but there is nothing like a drive to Walpole NH to clear the head, get a good deal and help a friend. Arrow

Plus he has a lift. Razz

But that is what I planned, come spring I (or if my brother ever joins...) will start a thread looking for the goodies. I was going to start with the usual suspects, Doug, Glen, etc and go from there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 am

Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

Plus he has a lift. Razz

But that is what I planned, come spring I (or if my brother ever joins...) will start a thread looking for the goodies. I was going to start with the usual suspects, Doug, Glen, etc and go from there.
I C. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 9:28 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

Plus he has a lift. Razz

I C. cyclops

Hah, yeah. But I thought i'd get a jumpstart to see what he is looking at to do the swap the right way so he can start finding parts and saving some $$ up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?   So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend? Empty

Back to top Go down

So What Is The Going Rate For a Rearend?
Page 1 of 1