BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
crankshaft sensor EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
crankshaft sensor EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
crankshaft sensor EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
crankshaft sensor EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
crankshaft sensor EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
crankshaft sensor EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
crankshaft sensor EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
crankshaft sensor EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
crankshaft sensor EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

crankshaft sensor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

is there a crankshaft sensor on a 94 caprice 4.3l everywhere i search theres no part for it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 pm

only 1996 and 1997 LT1 motors have a CPS.... I believe
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
only 1996 and 1997 LT1 motors have a CPS.... I believe

thats what i was thinking to but had to ask why would the seal in the front start leaking now had a small puddle when i was tryin to start it was back firing a bit i think this is reason car is missing possibly getting into the opti but i never seen the oil til now so could a backfire do this? i really am starting to hate this car now i love caprices but this one is really ticking me off i want to sell it now and get that box 83 i seen for 500
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 pm

its leaking from where the opti attaches or from where the timing cover meets the oil pan? its been a while since i've pulled an lt1 apart, so im trying to visualize it. these 96's i have now havent needed any engine work, the last time i did an lt1/l99 was when i pulled the l99 from my 94 and replaced with an lt1.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm

a backfire could be from a faulty EGR, vacuum leak maybe, or maybe the timing off either damaged ignition components or maybe a worn cam??? how many miles and how hard do you ride her??
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:00 pm

did you check the throttle position sensor? i'd hate to see you give up on a nice car you put work into just to have someone come and do a $15 part fix and have a great car.... 1983 car for $500.00 is probably $500 for a reason. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
how hard do you ride her??

Thats a pretty personal question, don't you think? Wink
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:02 pm

how did i guess someone would say something!!!! lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Here's where the oil is probably coming from if its the opti / front cover seal
IMPALADAKID wrote:

crankshaft sensor Optiinstall003
crankshaft sensor Optiinstall004
crankshaft sensor Optiinstall005
If its in the opti, that would explain it not running.
Youd have to find out where the drip is coming from
If you sell it, you could end up with the same problems different car.
The devil you know....
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Honestly if its "just" the opti, I wouldnt sell it. Its not a death sentence for the car.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm

i agree, seriously if you havent worked on a gen II motor DONT be scared of it... i actually like working on them better than an older 350 with a carb. get a haynes or chiltons and go step by step. once you take one apart you'll see
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 7:45 pm

its just so frustrating how i have to do it all by myself my boss told me to put whatever i need on our account and gave me a truck for the night its just the stress i never had a l99 or ls1 so i am at a loss here with it but your right things are fairly easy but honestly ive never took a crank pulley off i wish yall were closer to me i relly want some one to look her over that has been dealing with these for a while the old one were alot easier. and it is comming from crank you can see the line of oil and watched it drip out lol. so since it is leackin mostlikely culprip is opti.cats seem good no rattle when io bang em
Back to top Go down

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm

If you are going to own one of these cars, you have to be prepared to work on it. I don't mean just changing an air filter. I mean digging deep, and being willing to remove, replace, and repair any part of the car. Some things are more difficult to do than others, but when you are talking a car that is 15 years or older, it will need work. If you own one of these cars, there is a 90% chance that at some point, you will need to do a distributor, or at least a cap and rotor, which for me is the same amount of work, as I still pull the distributor to replace the seal behind it, and the water pump seal since I am there anyways. If the distributor is good, I still disassemble it to make sure everything is clean and as it should be. This may not be for everyone, but I feel if you are going to own one of these cars, you first have to really enjoy it, and second must be able to maintain it. When these cars are maintained, they are hard to beat, but when they are not, they make things frustrating if you do not know how or what to do to correct the problem. There are two things I would like to ask GM "WTF" were you thinking. The placement of the distributor, and the location of the upper rear shock bolts. The rest of these cars are easy.

Only 96 L99 and LT1 got crank sensors, along with down stream O2 sensors to meet the federal mandated OBD2 on board diagnostics for all 1996 and newer motor vehicles sold in the united states. So your 94 would not have this.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm

i hear yha on the mainenence part my father did almost none for 3 years and who knows what the cop did to it so im at a loss there. but so far here is what i have done: new coolant temp sensor, all 4 shocks, 4 tierods and sleeves, home plate delete, a/c delete, air pump delete, fuel filter, plugs, regular oil changes, new alt, belt, sealed rad, removed resonattor, has trailer hitch so its like a buick brace,front pads,rotors,tommorow egr is going in, i dont run her to hard but im not afraid to get in it either. she has 124900 miles and i got her at 110000 and she didnt run at all. so yeah i know we all get the f its when it dont go there way and belive me i aint afaid to get dirty doing it lol. if you guys have a sticky or pic on how to do the crank seal would be appriciated. and need to know what kinds of pullers will pop it off
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Watch this 1st just to get the feel for the opti

https://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/t2782-optispark-service-video

Hate to send you elsewhere....heh...heh...heh

Try this. 1st is parts you can get elsewhere, 2nd is help

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=TCS45956

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=250397

& Impaladakid posted an opti rebuild sticky (thats where I got the earlier pic)

Last edited by sdstick on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

well i just watch goldmasters 4 videos on the tear down required with all new seals except the crank seal seems pretty easy but time consuming. as for the e4 or e5 toeks socket to take opti apart it there another tool to use as well i just hope i can get away with replacing the cap and rotorits big money for the whole thing right?also when i pull opti apart if everything is cover in oil do i have to replace the whole thing or can i replace cap rotor and clean the rest i really dont have 500 to spend on this 250 is enough and thats pusshin it now i gotta pay the owner of my company back wth
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you all on your input and help its really appretiated. OK now heres what went down with the beast. I got to work at 8 am and started romoving water pump etc. and pullled opti out and low and behold the rubber o rings were no were and a little tiny piece of one was still in groove. ro i replaced all the seals except crank put on a new egr with new solinoid started it and it ran ok for about 5 min but while it was running my hand was the wires and sparked me good so go new ones still same. so i removed the coil and icm and found a broken ground fix it then wire brush the aluminum heat sink put dieletic behind icm and ran great for hours and died but started up after icm cooled 30 sec. so i have one on order tomorrow. she runs great now though besides that.
Back to top Go down

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 8:28 pm

I can't stress this enough. Any time you have a stumble and or stall, check the wires going to the coil that power it. They come out of the connector at an angle, and wear inside the insulation til they break inside, and you will not be able to see it. I cut the insulation from the connector long ways about a half inch, and look for broken wires. If I see broken wires, I replace the connectors. If not, I still replace the connectors, as they will eventually fail anyways, and I get to lengthen the wire to keep it from happening again. If you do lengthen the wires, don't use crimp connections. Solder, and use heat shrink.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 pm

its funny the wires on it were factory and there were no visible signs of arh but gave me a hell of a shock though lol i guess its good it happened though everything i did needed attention lol whats a good compound to put behind the new ICM im also building a braket to get it off the head seems set up to fail
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

crankshaft sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: crankshaft sensor   crankshaft sensor Empty

Back to top Go down

crankshaft sensor
Page 1 of 1