BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Dual Alternator on TBI

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
boojum

Dual Alternator on TBI Empty
PostSubject: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm thinking I'd like a dual alternator battery setup on a '94 TBI.

I'd like to spend no more than 10 bucks less the alternator and battery.

Anybody have any good ideas.

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Try Harbor Freight. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Wait till spring and take the second battery tray and cross over cables from a diesel at the JY, then the plug from another TBI and make a bracket for the second alternator. Seems like a good starting plan.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 pm

The bracket is the problem.

I've seen one that used a bracket from a V6 (Astro ?) on the right side of the engine.

Another that mounted the second alternator in place of the AC.

Both these require losing the AC. Now that I have some nifty Harbor Freight tools I was hoping to fix a lot of my broken ACs this year.
I suppose I could switch back and forth if I could cap the AC lines good.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 pm

boojum wrote:
The bracket is the problem.

I've seen one that used a bracket from a V6 (Astro ?) on the right side of the engine.

Another that mounted the second alternator in place of the AC.

Both these require losing the AC. Now that I have some nifty Harbor Freight tools I was hoping to fix a lot of my broken ACs this year.
I suppose I could switch back and forth if I could cap the AC lines good.

Forgot all about AC. I think that switching between the two all of the time would be a hassle after a while. Maybe an alternator with a custom bracket where the AIR pump should be?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't know if I still have a TBI "air pump" bracket. The trucks don't have 'em. IIRC correctly the pump is a lot smaller. I'll search for a photo, it will be easier than looking through my junk. Smile

I read one idea that you use the two existing alternator bolt hole locations but use only one bolt hole for each alternator, clock them a bit, fab up a bracket for the others and a pulley. I was hoping someone has a link to a photo of a similar arrangement.

I'll keep in mind the battery tray from a diesel but the wife has a standing order to pick up any sleeping bed rails at the dump's "still good shed". I'm sure I have at least one pair left. Smile

This one actually gives me some ideas...
http://greenbd.info/video/AZ7_HYtWS0Q/6-alternator-suburban.html

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

boojum wrote:
I don't know if I still have a TBI "air pump" bracket. The trucks don't have 'em. IIRC correctly the pump is a lot smaller. I'll search for a photo, it will be easier than looking through my junk. Smile

I read one idea that you use the two existing alternator bolt hole locations but use only one bolt hole for each alternator, clock them a bit, fab up a bracket for the others and a pulley. I was hoping someone has a link to a photo of a similar arrangement.

I'll keep in mind the battery tray from a diesel but the wife has a standing order to pick up any sleeping bed rails at the dump's "still good shed". I'm sure I have at least one pair left. Smile

This one actually gives me some ideas...
http://greenbd.info/video/AZ7_HYtWS0Q/6-alternator-suburban.html

LOL I think that is totally the way to go! haha

Though you dont need five, you could probably adapt that idea and make a bracket for both alternators on one side and keep the AC junk all at the opposite side.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/gm-vortec-dual-alternator-kit-with-230-amp-sp-series-alternator.html

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/_/3_1.jpg

Those are for LS vortecs But I'm sure you can try and use a plasma cutter or something to fab up a bracket to use the stock single alternator bracket.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

It looks like PN 10118722 is a bracket form a 90-91 Caprice that would allow me to use a CS144 in the original location. I have to fab something for the rear. Anybody have one?

Here's a link to some photos and he also put what looks like a CS130 in the air pump location:
http://www.guildfx.com/random/Tex/alternator/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dual Alternator on TBI   Dual Alternator on TBI Empty

Back to top Go down

Dual Alternator on TBI
Page 1 of 1