BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
New guy from North Shore EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
New guy from North Shore EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
New guy from North Shore EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
New guy from North Shore EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
New guy from North Shore EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

New guy from North Shore

Go down 
+5
GasTT
Tomz9C1
bowtiepimp
toomanytoyz
chapel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

New guy from North Shore Empty
PostSubject: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:46 am

Hello.

My name is Jared. I'm from Beverly. I'm nudging 30 this year... I drive a 1995 Audi S6/RS2 Sedan

I come from a Muscle Car family.
My mother had a 69 GTO 400 RA3 4speed and when I was about 5, my mother bought a 1986 Caprice Classic Wagon (white with wood on blue) which she promptly delivered to her mechanic who removed the stock 5.0 V8 and jammed in a Pontiac 400 with a 4bbl Holley and a 700R4

Over the years I've avoided jumping into American cars as my first car was a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am.... and it was garbage.

I've owned BMWs, Audis, VWs, Subarus, Saabs, Mitsubishis, etc... I've worked for Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, BMW and Acura as an IT guy over the years... but recently, my dad's been taking care of a friend's 1966 Corvette 327/350, and after driving that, I finally realized that I REALLY want that V8.

So, I've been browsing the forums and classifieds and craigslist for an adequate car to buy. I'd really like to get a pre-95 wagon with a 6 speed swap already done... or an LS swap... or both.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Welcome aboard!

We need to work on that taste for German cars. Wink Do you work on them yourself?

I've got a 6 speed 95 Impala SS for sale, but it's not a wagon.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I could go for a sedan Wink

Yes, I do MOST of the work myself.

at least I USED to. now with a wife, kid and house and a job in the city, it's hard to find time

you can see two of my builds here (WRX Wagon with STI bits and my current S6) - http://www.battlewagon.co.nr
I've also done a motor swap in a 1992 GTI (nothing fancy, just a cammed 2.0 8V with OBD2 electrics and ECU)

This weekend I'm pulling the turbo out of my S6 to get rebuilt by Borg Warner and I have to replace a blown axle and try to find a boost leak

My S6 has some American DNA in it... I have LS2 ignition coils in it, because the Audi ones are crap

New guy from North Shore S6_03
Pre Porsche brakes and RS2 turbo

New guy from North Shore Bbk2
New guy from North Shore RS2_3
LS2 coils mounted against the firewall there

On the dyno - 275whp, 298wtq (blown turbo and a boost leak)

Dyno Chart - http://chapeltech.net/s6dyno.png (huge)
Scan of chart - New guy from North Shore S6Dyno_2

New guy from North Shore Bbk1
I actually got the car because it kinda reminds me of a big 4WD Caprice
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Pretty cool S6. I diggit. Smile I've had to work on my brother's 99 A4 a couple times and it has put a bad taste in my mouth for the German "engineering"... lol Smile I've been jonesin' for a V8 S4 for a while, but am terrified of the maintenance. Seems the first step to everything is "1. Remove Nose." Boo.

And I think I have been on that same dyno. My SS put down 340 to the wheels. One of the Impala guys does some tuning there sometimes. I think he tunes a bunch of different cars though. He did my GMC, too.

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 4:09 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Pretty cool S6. I diggit. Smile I've had to work on my brother's 99 A4 a couple times and it has put a bad taste in my mouth for the German "engineering"... lol Smile I've been jonesin' for a V8 S4 for a while, but am terrified of the maintenance. Seems the first step to everything is "1. Remove Nose." Boo.

And I think I have been on that same dyno. My SS put down 340 to the wheels. One of the Impala guys does some tuning there sometimes. I think he tunes a bunch of different cars though. He did my GMC, too.

Yeah, I can pull my turbo in an hour or less. Nothing needs to get out of the way except the airbox (1 bolt) and the wastegate (4 bolts + 3 bolts for the wastegate downpipe)
then it's 4 bolts to the manifold, 4 to the downpipe, slide off

New Audis suck like that. Especially the V8s.

The early Audis are much easier to work on.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 5:51 pm

boooooooooo! more volksfagon crap booooooooo!
Surprised
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
Surprised
lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Sell the Audi and buy Toomanytoyz's 6 speed Impala SS
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
Surprised

More?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 pm

chapel wrote:
I could go for a sedan Wink

New guy from North Shore Bbk1
I actually got the car because it kinda reminds me of a big 4WD Caprice

I see what you mean. If I squint really hard I can see a Caprice.
BUT...Its tough to drive with your eyes like that. Wink
Just get the real thing & bring your turbo knowledge to a LT1 Arrow

Welcome.
Check out the Club Calender & come say hello at the upcoming get together
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I spy the Beverly graffiti wall. Wink
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 pm

You happened to step in just after a little VW bashing session last week. Don't worry about it. Smile

(Audi bashing isn't scheduled until next month) Wink
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
You happened to step in just after a little VW bashing session last week. Don't worry about it. Smile

.......... good thing making fun of Bill is year around...... Razz Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

sdstick wrote:
I see what you mean. If I squint really hard I can see a Caprice.
BUT...Its tough to drive with your eyes like that. Wink
Just get the real thing & bring your turbo knowledge to a LT1 Arrow
it's mainly that rear 3/4 window.

I'd love to turbo an LT1 in a Caprice/Impala, but I'd prefer to supercharge an LSx in one. I'm addicted to torque lately.

Matt Trakker wrote:
I spy the Beverly graffiti wall. Wink
yep, this was taken a while back, it's changed quite a bit
New guy from North Shore S6_13

toomanytoyz wrote:

I assume bashing on the current hipster scene of hard parking and hella flush and whatever other things that involve taking a stock car, slamming it on the ground, poking rims and stretching rubber?
a'la

If so, I'm not one of those...
I'm more of an engineering type.

The main reason I haven't gotten into American Muscle is that I'm primarily a suspension engineer and I like to ice race. I've been looking into suspension tuning for the cars and I ended up getting this S6 for a song. They also come standard with locking rear differentials.

I'm not saying American Muscle can't handle, I'm just not well educated in it. Luckily, I've been reading a LOT of Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding and Car Craft to learn as much as I can from the books. At the very least, learning the manufacturers of stuff.
I'd been thinking of just dropping an LSx into the S6, but I'm not sure if I can keep the AWD system, and converting to RWD is going to be more expensive than it's worth.

Also, on a more personal note, the main reason I'm looking into Muscle Cars is to honor my mom, who died in a car accident 2 years ago. My dad got back involved in the muscle car scene last year. He used to drag race down in the Marshlands with my mom back in the early 70s.

I've been actually trying to track down her 69 GTO, but information on her car is sparse aside from color, year, options, etc...

here's the Corvette that my dad is 'responsible' for
New guy from North Shore 38250_414047851983_523876983_4810868_2398087_n
New guy from North Shore 38250_414047831983_523876983_4810864_6063311_n
New guy from North Shore 38294_414047876983_523876983_4810869_2324609_n

and my dad and I
New guy from North Shore 30617_386268051983_523876983_4108596_7151310_n
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:56 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
Surprised

toomanytoyz wrote:

Jerks Crying or Very sad

Wink
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
bowtiepimp wrote:
Surprised

toomanytoyz wrote:

Jerks Crying or Very sad

......... yup Arrow
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:

......... yup Arrow

lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm

That's a nice looking vette. Smile Good luck on the search for the Goat. It's really cool what you're doing.

Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:39 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
That's a nice looking vette. Smile Good luck on the search for the Goat. It's really cool what you're doing.

the noise is addicting with the side pipes.
the transmission drops 2nd every so often (normally when you dip into the throttle and back right off). I'm debating whether to rebuild the M20 or buy a reman...

the first couple times I drove it, I was appalled by the brakes... eventually I found that the master cylinder had completely failed, the calipers were all leaking and... well basically the entire braking system was compromised.
suffice to say, it was a brown pants moment everytime you stabbed the brakes.
Then the fuel pump failed.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:42 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

..... have to agree with you on that ......Is the vette original or restoration ?
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 pm

from my understanding it's an NCRS restoration... however it does have an incorrect 67 Big Block Stinger hood.

It's got some NCRS paperwork and a sticker on the rear window... I've not gone through it yet...
My dad isn't planning on doing anything but keep it running.

He's an old school Ex-GEAE machinist and the car is his 'girlfriends' car... she bought it as an investment, so my dad's basically her 'investment manager'

I'd love to get this Impala:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=248284

but the guy yanked all the HVAC shit. I could do without AC (no I couldn't...) but no heat... yeesh
Back to top Go down
LandMaster

LandMaster

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your searches for the goat and a nice B-body, best way to get one is from a kid whose grandpa gave it too him and is selling it cuz you can't get laid in one Rolling Eyes that's how i came across mine you can score them dirt cheap that way too. But I know what you mean by engineering type you gotta be to work on some of the german cars, like my duetch kraft everything involves dropping the transmission Evil or Very Mad but I can't argue about how they work when they run right, and the Audi's like yours are great sleepers haha
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm

LandMaster wrote:
cuz you can't get laid in one
you should be able to pull a train in the back of a B-body...
sucker can't get laid cause he has no game... that's all.
Back to top Go down
LandMaster

LandMaster

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:43 pm

that's what I said after I handed him 5 bens haha looser I luaghed the whole way home
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:55 pm

LandMaster wrote:
But I know what you mean by engineering type you gotta be to work on some of the german cars, like my duetch kraft everything involves dropping the transmission

The C4 S6 is pretty easy to work on. Yanked the turbo in under an hour
the engine bay is very accessible on these and the electronics aren't terrible
hell, the HVAC system on the car is an old GM HVAC system

Newer Audis, not so much...
Back to top Go down
LandMaster

LandMaster

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:06 pm

yeaaa my 924S is fun to drive and what not, and most maitnence isn't horrible but if it's behind the flywheel and under the car the transaxle has to come out to do it Mad if I get the time or some sad misfourtune falls on my Roadie it'll get some american influence upon it, otherwise the 2.5 pulls more than enough for me for now, and I can tow it to autocrosses with he Buick even though boats shouldn't tow sports cars
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 pm

I meant to ask, is anyone from the North Shore area?
I'd love to get a ride in one of these

also, here's my updated dyno runs from last time
New guy from North Shore Jr2011
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 pm

I was wondering what happened to you!

Who tuned your car there? Scott (from our club) tuned mine on that dyno! Smile

You're more than welcome to take my 6 speed car for a rip before it sells. Smile
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

It's an 034 chiptune. You replace the two EPROMs
I'd love to get a ride. You have a buyer? I'd be afraid it would set my expectations too high
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:54 pm

I have two potential buyers, but I haven't listed it yet.

(it could be yours!)

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy from North Shore   New guy from North Shore Empty

Back to top Go down

New guy from North Shore
Page 1 of 1