BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BoSStonsSS

Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:05 pm

I saw it on the Issf but cant find that thread. So What performance parts will help gain hp but not burn a hole in our pocket?
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 pm

I'll look for that thread for you. I thought it was a stick but can't seem to find it.

There are some mods out there that don't break the bank too much... If you wanna open up the motor you can do springs and rockers and stuff like that.

Did you do plugs and wires when you did the Opti?

But for the most part HP costs money. Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Gears/Converter/160 t-stat/Tune is probably the best way to start your performance modding. Once that stuff is in place, you have a solid base to go as wild and crazy as you want.

--

I forgot to mention this earlier though:

If you haven't yet, check out the Impala Handbook. http://www.lisst.com/ss_handbook.pdf
Save that link. Will make your life easier for years to come.

---
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanx man for that handbook... Yea i did plugs and wires when i had the opti changed.. Would i be able to have my pcm tuned witjout shipping it out because my SS is my daily driver.
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Bryan at www.pcmforless.com offers a core exchange program. He will send you a tuned PCM, and you send him back yours to recieve a $125 refund.

Alex at www.pcmperformance.com might do something similar, but on his website all it says is you can buy his PCM for $75.

I would recommend getting a tune from Alex, but I would not recommend spending $75 on a PCM. You should try and grab a cheap PCM from a junkyard(should be $20-$30), and send away that one to be tuned. That way you'll have no downtime and also a spare PCM just in case.

Another option is to have Alex send your tune via E-Mail. You'll just need a cable though to download from your laptop to the car.

Alex sells cables, http://pcmperformance.com/cables.html for $50.

A little more than it would cost for a spare PCM, but it would save you the hassle of a junkyard, shipping charges both ways, and anytime you change something you could do very inexpensive and easy re-tunes. That would probably be the best option if you have a laptop, or if someone in the club had the cable and would be willing to share? (I don't)
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Once again thanx Bill i plan on getting that Asap Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm

Rich, is your car a 95 or 96? If it's a 95 (OBD1) then the cable would be an excellent idea. Smile If it's a 96 though (OBD2) then a spare PCM will be your best bet because there's no free or cheap ways to flash an obd2 car yourself.

Did you do all the free or cheap-ass mods like the baseball field delete (sewer pipe & hockey puck) and swiss cheesing the airbox? Just swapping out the stock mufflers for better flowing ones will help out a bit too. Summit turbos are GREAT for 15 bucks a piece. Smile

And I'm totally bummed that I didn't get a chance to check out your car yesterday! And you were the only one who brought their SS up!!! Sorry man, I'll check it out soon!
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Its a 95and i i dont have any mods yet the car is completely sstock, i am buying the ram air ss kit from Bruce tonight.
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: inexpensive ways to get morehp/tq   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 5:32 pm

hi if i ever get my ecm back from herter.and its all better. you can use my spare ecm. that came out of a 1995 impala ss .while yours is being flashed. but send it to alex at pcmperformance. $160.00 total. ok let me know. ron
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 pm

+++++What ever number we are on for Alex @ PCMperformance.com I have used him 3 time and going for number 4 as soon as my 3:73s arrive.
Not to say anything bad about the other guy, but when something works I try to stick with it. Well except a certain wagon that I got running mint, and then sold.
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: inexpensive ways to get more hp/tq   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 7:08 pm

alex at pcmperformance. com the first flash is $145.00 plus s&h. i dont know prices for re flash. i wont use herter again. things were fine till i installed 4.11 gears now it wont call for od. maybe its me? ill know when i get it back. and go from there. alexs phone number is 917-825-9069 hopes this helps any one.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!   Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Inexpensive Ways to get more hp/tq!!!!!
Page 1 of 1