BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
89 Caprice EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
89 Caprice EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
89 Caprice EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
89 Caprice EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
89 Caprice EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
89 Caprice EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
89 Caprice EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
89 Caprice EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
89 Caprice EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

89 Caprice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 am

I didn't really put any thought into listing this here before but I will anyway-

My brother has an 89 Caprice Classic. Car is 305 TBI, black, burgundy interior, power everything, etc. It is the box one with the updated nose header panel, sport mirrors, etc.

The car has 160K miles on it I believe, I'm really not sure. The previous owner was a cop in my town and had the car for ages, but it wasn't a cruiser and isn't a 9c1. Definitely a fixer upper. It was his main car a few years ago, then he took it off the road in '08 when he got his Roadmaster. Had to put it back on the road this year because his RM got hit. At that time he put in a new ECM, a new radiator, new fuel pump relay, and a couple other things I can't remember. The car also has a new (last year) starter (I think), new ps line, new fuel line, new exhaust system w/cat (that needs 1 donut gasket IIRC) and I forget what else. Basically there are a lot of new parts in it.

What I know it needs:

Fuel pump. That died and he took it off the road. I checked the FP relay, that's fine and my truck runs with it installed. If you shoot starting fluid in the TB the car will run for a bit then dies.

The car is rusty, it will need new front fenders put on, they are rotted to the point of being useless. Has rust spots all over basically, but most are surface rust.

The power antenna stalk broke out of the socket. The fender has to come off to fix the antenna, but they have to come off anyway...soo....

The headliner is falling down and was stapled back up.

It has no hubcaps on it, because my brother borrowed a set of 74 Chevy ones from me when he lost one of the factory ones (it had those cop-car style full wheel covers on it)

The end of the multifunction switch for the wipers/blinkers fell off, and to turn the wipers on you have to stick the piece back into the stalk. Still works... Laughing

The front outside door handles are getting floppy and should be swapped out.

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting but that's what I know of.

The Good:

This car ran good and reliable but seemed like it needed a set of plugs and a basic TBI tune up (wires, cap, etc). My brother never did since he got the car, all he did was change the oil and fix broken things.

The interior is pretty nice, aside from the headliner and the dash pad is cracked. The door panels are very nice and the seats are mint. The carpet is pretty damn good too IIRC. The driver's seat needs that bolt where the backrest hinges on the bottom, it snapped right when the car was taken off the road.

My brother wants 400 bucks for the car just because he put about 800 into it just getting it put back on the road this year. If anyone here is interested for whatever reason feel free to let me know, it would be a great parts car if you needed one.

I was actually going to try and fix this car if my brother wanted to just give it to me, I was thinking of putting a pump in it, tuning it up, replacing the fenders, then painting the whole car satin black Rustoleum with a foam roller or something and using it as a winter car. Still might but I'd need some input on that...

Laughing

This is the car:

89 Caprice IMG_4913
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:30 am

Not a bad deal. But could you tell us a little more about it? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
LOL Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Um...probably not...

Laughing

Figured I'd get the crap out of the way before anyone might come drive down to see it. I get a lot of emails from people thinking they can just drive the car away when the CL ad clearly says it has to be towed away...or they offer me a salvage yard price. Um, if we junk the car, I'm taking all the new parts off myself as well as the header/tail panels and mirrors, THEN junking it! Laughing

I've had this thing on craigslist (and it's NOT EVEN MINE!!!) for months and my brother keeps on not calling anyone back, and it's pissing me off. It's taking up the driveway and the snow is going to be falling soon.

I should check if there is a floor access panel in the trunk to swap the fuel pump out. I didn't even think of it.
Back to top Go down

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 4:12 pm

[quote="Matt Trakker"]
toomanytoyz wrote:
if we junk the car, I'm taking all the new parts off myself as well as the header/tail panels and mirrors, THEN junking it! Laughing

I've had this thing on craigslist (and it's NOT EVEN MINE!!!) for months and my brother keeps on not calling anyone back, and it's pissing me off. It's taking up the driveway and the snow is going to be falling soon.

I should check if there is a floor access panel in the trunk to swap the fuel pump out. I didn't even think of it.
I would use it for a metal bin, and load it up and drop it at the recyclers and give him whatever you get for it since you are doing his leg work. But thats me
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 am

yea. lol. I saw it on"the list" a few times and gave it a moment, then passed. Great car tho. I had two of these body styles back in high school. Very dependable in my eyes!!!
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:16 am

I may be in the market for a new car in the next little bit. You sure it just needs a fuel pump to get it running? It's an awful long ride home from there so I'd hafta fix it where it sits and then drive it all the way home by my lonesome, without AAA or nothing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:05 am

It needs a fuel pump to run, but, the car has been sitting here since June I think, the battery surprisingly isn't dead but who knows what else may have transpired since then, ya know? I wouldn't recommend trying to drive it back TBH. lol
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:19 am

It's ok. I'd rather the 74 anyway Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

89 Caprice Empty
PostSubject: Re: 89 Caprice   89 Caprice Empty

Back to top Go down

89 Caprice