BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED

Go down 
+6
boojum
Tomz9C1
bammax
Fishah
mean ss
BoSStonsSS
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BoSStonsSS

opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED Empty
PostSubject: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:57 pm

was running fine all day.. when iwent to go start it up didnt want to, took awhile ..stays running but when i go to put it in drive it shuts down

last week fuel line was slice by the body and had that section replaced.

WHAT COULD IT BE Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 pm

i think its the fuel pump.. the first time i turn the key i didnt hear the fuel pump prime, so i let the car run for a couple of minutes. i shut it off i took the fuel pump fuse out then put it back in , and now i hear the fuel pump and it runs fine..

is it time for a new fuel pump?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 pm

you could try a new relay first but you should check fuel pressure first when it dont start
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:10 pm

You had a section of line replaced? Are you sure you don't have any leaks in the system?

Check fuel pressure first like Bob said. Also take a look for leaks around the repair. If no leaks and pressure is down then it's almost certainly a FP problem.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Don't forget to check the fuel cap. Sometimes those leak and it reduces the pressure and causes issues starting.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:28 pm

run a power wire to the fuel pump test connector "it's near the under hood fuse box" this will bye pass all
fuses and relays

opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED Fuel_pump_prime
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Gary Meier (LS1MM6) showed me that trick. A length of wire that will reach your +positive+ Battery terminal from that wire as shown ^^^ above. You will here it prime.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Reverse polarity?

You can also scan for errors. DTC16 IIRC if the opit or opti wiring is bad. Do you have a tach? If it opti or opti related you won't see any RPMs on the tach while cranking.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 am

Make any headway on this, Rich? Was it the FP relay? Check your grounds back there?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 pm

i cant find the fuel prime connector. i saw a connector(red wire) but i dont think that was it . would it be tucked somewhere?

Fuel pump went out on me again.. i will have to check pressure 2morrow Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm

I can give you a hand with it if you need to swap it out. Just have to figure out a time that works.
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:30 pm

where are you going to be 2morrow morning/afternoon?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

IIRC it's red on the Bs. There is only one like it near that location.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:46 am

I'm going to be at the hospital tomorrow afternoon and then need to drive Laura to school from there. When's your next day off?
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:11 pm

am i suppose to check the fuel pressure when the car is acting up or when it is fine?.. if I am suppose to check it when its running/or key in on position fine i got 38-40
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:46 pm

you can check now it should be 43.5 psi with vacuum line to regulator pluged engine running,
racers will check theirs in 3rd at 6800 rpms,gauge taped to window Shocked

if yours is at 43.5 psi you will have to test it later when it gives you a problem
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 pm

its at 38-40 psi runnning connected to the schrader valve..
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

you need to take the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator to check

does it start better after you played with the fuse?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Dont you LOVE has an intermittent problem.
FP does that, so do many other things
Did you say the fuel filter has been replaced?
Silly but also easy (unless you find cancerous brake line back there uughh) Mad
Did you check the grounds in the trunk? Have you seen the harness by the tank?
I say screw it, tape the gauge to the windshield & drive laps locally.
Everytime you get home turn it off & on til the problem shows its ugly side.
Have you taken it out & beat the piss outta it? WOT stuff?
Did you spray the MAF? check all vacuum lines & wiring
Did you get a maintenace record guestimate from Doug?
I was begging for answers when my car was abusing me
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 am

So early morning 12am heading to work i start my car , i dont hear the fuel pump. but of course i cant test pressure because i have o be at work at 1215am.(so running late)

So I get off work..check the imp out no priming and i check the pressure and its 10psi Shocked ..

looks like i'll be getting that racetronix fuel pump for $170 because i will be adding more mods to the imp..

if anyone has any fuel pump suggestions let me kno ASAP.... 857-204-3670 Rich
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 am

BoSStonsSS wrote:
So early morning 12am heading to work i start my car , i dont hear the fuel pump. but of course i cant test pressure because i have o be at work at 1215am.(so running late)

So I get off work..check the imp out no priming and i check the pressure and its 10psi Shocked ..

looks like i'll be getting that racetronix fuel pump for $170 because i will be adding more mods to the imp..

Make sure to upgrade the harness as well, and replace the sock, and inline filter.
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 7:36 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
BoSStonsSS wrote:

Make sure to upgrade the harness as well, and replace the sock, and inline filter.

doesnt all of that come with the walbro 255 kit? http://www.racetronix.biz/customkititems.asp?kc=RFPK%2D004&eq=
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 am

Dont know if this link will be any help but if your alone, it may give you a couple of pointers.
https://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/problems-maintenance-f4/quick-fuel-pump-swap-t712.htm?highlight=fuel+pump
1) Check it out & use PC blaster a day or so BEFORE you do the job
That way if you need hardware, straps,fuel lines you'll have them
(Crovo was 100% right when he said the fuel line connectors can be a problem)
2) Relieve fuel pressure. Either way when you disconnect the feed & return lines it'll try to piss in your eye
3) Make sure you have no gas (at least after you remove it) Gas in tank=PIA
4) Make sure you tie a pull string (good quality tough line) to the old harness when removing. I didnt upgrade this on my 95 just a suggestion from years of pulling cable
5) Dont forget the fuel filler neck bolts behind the license plate
6) Beg for help cause then someone can hear you when you complain Razz
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 5:48 pm

I didn't see this before Rich, Just FYI if you did not see it from the records and when you looked underneath, the fuel filter was done this past summer and the rear brake line showed it's rusty head at that time and was replaced as well. That's about all I can recall for fuel related things.

I hate that it is doing this to you because it NEVER ever gave me any issues like that, sucks dude.

Good luck with everything

Doug
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 6:34 pm

you might want this to
BLT1 Bulkhead Connector Assembly

http://www.racetronix.biz/printitem.asp?Source=CK&ic=BTL1%2DBCA
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Rich is a jinx. Once he owns a car everything goes wrong with it Laughing

Rich I pm'ed you. I have all the tools you need for the job. I just need to find them Laughing
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 pm

bammax wrote:
Rich is a jinx. Once he owns a car everything goes wrong with it Laughing

Rich I pm'ed you. I have all the tools you need for the job. I just need to find them Laughing

PM'D U BACK...
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 pm

you would Mad

I'm just messin with ya Very Happy

I'll check the schedule and get back to you
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm

ALRIGHT COOOL...
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm

F#$%ING BOLTS ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS.. JUST ONE F'ING BOL IS GIVING ME A PROBLEM JUST ONE.. THE BOLTS CLOSEST THE BUMPERS WERE ACTUALLY THE EASIEST ONES/ ITS THE ONE TOWARDS THE FRAME( JUST ONE) THE OTHER UNBOLTS FINE.. AND OF COURSE MY EXHAUST PIPES ARE IN THE WAY..

NOW JUST GONNA HAVE TO PB BLAST THE HELL OUT IT AND WAIT TI 2MORROW MORNING.( GETTING DARK)

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Sad Sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes affraid affraid affraid No No No
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 am

Rich,
Ron had sent me this link back in August, it's since updated but was fast delivery
Back then it was $59 & it said make me an offer I offered $45 & he took it
I was just throwing $ at the job to make it go away
The width of the strap at the rear of the car is about 1/16-1/8 to wide
Grind down before paint & your good to go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RST186-1991-1996-BUICK-ROADMASTER-GAS-TANK-STRAPS_W0QQitemZ120486116836QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0d883de4
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: opti? fuel pump? shit the bed   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 1:46 pm

rich. there now down to $49.00. or best offer. good luck with the job. hope that fixes the problem. dont forget the pics. i cant post. Embarassed but i like looking at them.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:30 pm

JOB IS DONE cheers ...... THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT GAVE ME ADVICE. SPECIAL THANKS TO STEVE (SDTICK) FOR ANSWERING HIS PHONE WHEN I NEEDED HELP.. I ONLY TOOK A COUPLE OF PICS BECAUSE I WAS FRUSTRATED MOST OF THE TIME. WILL POST 2MORROW..

CAR SEEMS A BIT FASTER.. GONNA INSTALL THE HARNESS 2MORROW

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Glad it worked out for you. Sorry I couldn't be there to help. I was elbow deep in the Omega today so it just wasn't going to happen. I'll do my best to help out next time you break something. It shouldn't take long Razz
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:11 pm

SMELLING GAS!!! I TIGHTENED THAT EVAP HOSE THAT WOULD CAUSE THAT.. STILL SMELLING IT

WHAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:35 pm

you might need a new o-ring in the fuel lines
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

If you can smell it you should be able to see it
Check both ends, fuel filter & there's 1 more between the filter & the front but I've never seen it (somewhere below the A pillar at the frame?)
Didnt you say you had a repair done?
Sniff it out
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:15 pm

FIGURE OUT WHERE THE SMELL IS COMING FROM.. THE IDIOT THAT DOUG GOT THE CAR FROM DRILL A SCREW IN THE GAS TANK TO MOUNT THE SUBWOOFER.. SO I GUESS WHEN I DROPPED AND PUT IT BACK MUSTVE MADE A BIGGER HOLE..
SMH Mad

WHAT NEXT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Well Question Mad How could you know?
At least your now certified & you know the hardware is fresh
JB Weld FTW
I bet Brad will be available this time now that its snowy & freezing Rolling Eyes tongue
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I knew because i sniffed and felt around in the trunk and saw it wet but the screw. i have jb weld but i will not be dropping the tank its too shitty out... jus gonna see how much a shop will do to drop it
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 pm

WTF!!!! Nowwww. Don't hear fuel pump priming. When I put the hazards on the car it drives.

What are the three hoses that connect to the fuel pump. The3rd hose to the right.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 2:24 pm

3/8 feed
5/16 return
3/8 vent
Thats not your problem. No prime = electrical
How did you ever figure out your hazzards start the car WTF???
Maybe a grounding issue?
Unplug your harness under the tank & check with multimeter
Whichever is ground should be 0 continuity ALL the time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Ground issue.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

sdstick wrote:

Unplug your harness under the tank & check with multimeter
Whichever is ground should be 0 continuity ALL the time
I ef'd up here it should HAVE continuity ALL the time
1 side if meter to harness (car side not tank side) other side to good ground
meter should read the same as touching the 2 sides of the meter together
(in ohms setting)
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Fuel pump and tail lights are some how connected. My blinker and brake lights make my pump whine change pitch. I'd say the spot where the systems connect is the spot that's screwing you right now.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump/sender uses the ground in the trunk on the left up under by the hinge. that ground should be the same in the harness (plug) to sender connection
Check that wiring
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED   opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED Empty

Back to top Go down

opti?fuel pump? SHIT THE BED
Page 1 of 1