BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Noob here, did i overmod?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
miniz33

miniz33

Noob here, did i overmod?  Empty
PostSubject: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Hello people of BADASS, names Brandon and I'm glad to be a part of a group of car enthusiasts like myself! Matter of fact its been three years in coming to get a nice adriatic blue tow package 94 D body fleetwood! It needed a motor, bought one with 11k miles on it, yes you read that right! I recently burned my right hand pretty bad, so I had a friend kindly offer to help out, I believe whos also a member on here! New motor went in with fresh opti, car still has mechanical fan, installed new plugs/wires, 02's when she went in to a place called jamies exhaust in pawtucket for a full 2.25 exhaust, highly recommend him btw! I added headers by bbk, the K&N FIPK CAI, and a 2500 stall by performabuilt with a 160 stat. Car runs well but gets 12mpg on average, perhaps 18 on highway with gentle driving, occasionally gets a low egr code, which I assume is from low back pressure, also throws a knock sensor code, maybe I made a mistake when I removed them to drain the motor prior to install, I used a good amount of thread sealer to put them back and made sure they were tight. Most concerning is a code for ECT running cool. My HVAC allows me to see the ECT running 180 to 185 on a cool day, spec is 195, gauge installed in cylinder head is saying 175.  Is my 160 t stat too much for a car with a mechanical fan? Is it the cool running thats killing my mileage? Or the fact my car still is running the 110k mile delco coil? Not sure if I should send out my pcm for a tune when my car goes for some light body work, or just reinstall the stock stat? I do love the power the car has and would rather not lose any, what do you folks think?  Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by miniz33 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Brandon

Glad you found us. We have quite a few Fleetwood guys here, including me. They're should be some guys dropping in, who can help you with your engine problems. I have a 96 Fleetwood, I would say the mileage is close to twice what your getting. Mine is stock.

Tom
Back to top Go down
miniz33

miniz33

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, I figured as much, a couple friends of mine had them and they would get over 20 on the highway, about 16 in the city or so. I love mine but really hope I dont have to convert it to stock.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum. Make sure to check out our April mod day get together thread. Maybe you can come by and meet some of the members. Great group of guys here.

I think a reasonable explanation for your issues is that you changed crucial components such as the TC with out a tune. The ECM needs to be reprogrammed in order for it to see the new TC as normal operation. It's probably correcting because your mods are out of factory ECM settings. Also, you should change your knock sensor the the LT4 version. It would detect less "detonation" or what the ECM THINKS, is detonation. It has more allowances and won't retard your timing so much.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome Brandon
1) Dont believe what people tell you for mileage...they all lie...lol
2) Yes, programming is always a good idea when changing from stock
3) You really didnt say if you reconnected the EGR or not ?(I see you have headers & the code)
4) New knock sensors are somewhat easy. Knock will retard timing.
5) Does the car have the secondary electric fan? like a RMW? I dont know D's but if so, take off the mechanical I run my wagon without & have no issues
6) Do you think the ECT is bad? you can measure the resistance vs temp to see. They are also cheap.
7) Dont worry about the coil if it runs good
Cool See #1) above (but yes...12mpg is not good)

Back to top Go down
miniz33

miniz33

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for the insight guys, went on a highway trip today and got between 20-23, its stop and go that murders me. But then again its got a wonky stall converter and lots of weight. These damn digital fuel gauges aren't exact science either, took the boat out and had a blast when I ran into a group of mustangs, an ls3 swapped former lt maro' and a stock camaro. They looked horrified that a fleetwood was keeping pace with a group that was trying to lose me haha. God bless these b/d bodies!
Back to top Go down
tonyc712000

tonyc712000

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 12:25 pm

miniz33 wrote:
Thanks for the insight guys, went on a highway trip today and got between 20-23, its stop and go that murders me. But then again its got a wonky stall converter and lots of weight. These damn digital fuel gauges aren't exact science either, took the boat out and had a blast when I ran into a group of mustangs, an ls3 swapped former lt maro' and a stock camaro. They looked horrified that a fleetwood was keeping pace with a group that was trying to lose me haha. God bless these b/d bodies!

Don't think you over modified at all!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noob here, did i overmod?    Noob here, did i overmod?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Noob here, did i overmod?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-
Jump to: