BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

WTB Impala SS rear end

Go down 
+5
Matt Trakker
Ironfistdog
Cadet57
sdstick
1984twodoor
9 posters
AuthorMessage
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

WTB Impala SS rear end Empty
PostSubject: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Looking for a disc rear complete with no BS

Tall order but I've discovered that the one I have is ah...toast. Surprised

So I'm on the lookout, we all know it's going to a good home! So keep your eyes peeled! I really don't want to put a 7.5" drum rear in this car after all of this...

TIA guys!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Details?

While we look for what you need of course.... Arrow
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Matt, there is a guy on Longroof that has one for sale. The issue being, he lives in PA, however, he comes up to MA fairly frequently for work, I met him a couple weeks ago to swap some parts. If you want I can put you in contact with him.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Didn't you just PM Doug about that one he had last night!?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

sdstick wrote:
Details?

While we look for what you need of course.... Arrow

Well, stock used 3.08 is all I care about. Posi working would be sweet, but even if it didn't that's not a big deal. I mostly want to set the car and the brake system up for disc once and call it a day. So I just want a rear from a Tri-9 SS basically Laughing Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool

Cadet57 wrote:
Matt, there is a guy on Longroof that has one for sale. The issue being, he lives in PA, however, he comes up to MA fairly frequently for work, I met him a couple weeks ago to swap some parts. If you want I can put you in contact with him.

What's his price? If nothing up here pans out then I'll be interested in following this lead! Thanks Justin!

Ironfistdog wrote:
Didn't you just PM Doug about that one he had last night!?

Old threads have old info unfortunately, so that one's gonzo!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I meant details on the bad rear you have...repairable?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool

Sorry for the threadjack, but did the 8.5 come in the V6 cars because they had a higher gear ratio?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 pm

sdstick wrote:
I meant details on the bad rear you have...repairable?

Probably, but I have a lot on my plate and that's not going to be added...yet. The housing itself may be junk. It would have to be taken down to nothing and I don't have the time, space, or money to get it back together.

Matt Trakker wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool

Sorry for the threadjack, but did the 8.5 come in the V6 cars because they had a higher gear ratio?

I've seen them with the 8.5, the 305 cars didn't seem to have it. I would assume the gearing might have something to do with that. I'm sure there are plenty of variances throughout the years and how things are optioned out.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 pm

So ah...

Who's near Worcester with a pick-em-up tee ruck? Cool

Details will follow if I get any bights for this!
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 am

The boxy "B" car's rear wheel cavity is a good bit smaller than that found in the 93-96 B-body.

You might take some measurements before opting for WX3 housings instead of 94-96 9C1 housings.

When I fabbed up the 9" for my white box I made it narrower than the stock civi-box dimensions.

The rationale was that my spare tire, which was the biggest size
(in both height & width) that would fit within the front housing without rubbing,
must also fit the rear wheel house without shredding.

A wheel/tire combo larger than stock mounted on the wider SS Impala rear axle assembly
would possibly hit the Boxy's rear wheel opening trim strip lip even when folded up and in.

YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:46 am

If I didn't go for a "joyride" in my c10 I'd have a tee ruck ready to go,
What did u find? Might be able to check it out.

Also if wx3 does NOT work I have a 9c1 rear hanging out in the garage, BUT.... Coil perches are not on it
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 am

It does indeed fit, I've heard of plenty of people doing the swap and seen the proof (pics etc)

I'm not building quite the car you are Glen, so my tires aren't going to be steam rollers.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 am

Lol @ steam rollers

It begs the question. If a WX3 rear wouldn't exactly fit in the box cavity, why do we see seemingly flawless frame swaps with said rear end or equivalent width rear end?

I support the 9C1 rear end idea, certainly if one plans to "tuck" a set of meats.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Lol @ steam rollers

It begs the question. If a WX3 rear wouldn't exactly fit in the box cavity, why do we see seemingly flawless frame swaps with said rear end or equivalent width rear end?

I support the 9C1 rear end idea, certainly if one plans to "tuck" a set of meats.

Lots of dudes over on the other site seem to have great success doing it with the WX3 rear end so I'm not too concerned honestly. There is a magazine article IIRC it was car craft who had a full parts list and all of that on what you had to do to get it done. It also came out successful so I have no fear about it really.
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 pm

So the toasted rear ....is it a disc rear and does it have the backing plates? And if so would you be willing to sell them?
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:53 pm

FWIW, I do know first hand that a WX3 rear axle works in a boxy, with SS wheels, even with 275/40/17's on it.

Matt I have a 9C1 rear you can have if ya want it. Needs a rebuild, no backing plates.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm

cloud 9 wrote:
So the toasted rear ....is it a disc rear and does it have the backing plates? And if so would you be willing to sell them?

Has one good one and one that's pretty freakin bent. Once I figure out if I need them and if you honestly want to mess with the trouble of searching for the other good one thy'll be available.

V8Killer wrote:

FWIW, I do know first hand that a WX3 rear axle works in a boxy, with SS wheels, even with 275/40/17's on it.

Matt I have a 9C1 rear you can have if ya want it. Needs a rebuild, no backing plates.

Sweet! I'm not even planning tires that large!

I would take you up on that, but I need a quick turn around. I'm looking to get the chassis rolling to cross it off the list and button up the body. Then the magic can happen!

I think I may have found a good rear but I have to work out getting it so we will see what this week brings.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat May 04, 2013 11:07 am

Still looking for a truck in Worcester area Embarassed The ones I borrowed in the past are either junk, out of town, or plain 'ol unobtainable.

I have a line on a rear and I can't get out there WITH a vehicle to get it...which really sucks. Evil or Very Mad

LMK if anyone can help.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat May 04, 2013 11:36 am

1984twodoor wrote:
Still looking for a truck in Worcester area Embarassed The ones I borrowed in the past are either junk, out of town, or plain 'ol unobtainable.

I have a line on a rear and I can't get out there WITH a vehicle to get it...which really sucks. Evil or Very Mad

LMK if anyone can help.

I know this guy with a wagon AND a trailer. And I think this person might be able to help you out.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySat May 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:

LMK if anyone can help.

I know this guy with a wagon AND a trailer. And I think this person might be able to help you out.

That guy should PM his number and me and him can work something out Wink
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Call off the search. Rear end found, purchased, and delivered! Thanks Justin! Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   WTB Impala SS rear end Empty

Back to top Go down

WTB Impala SS rear end
Page 1 of 1