BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee

Go down 
+5
sdstick
MASShole9C1
Matt Trakker
GasTT
bladerunner
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bladerunner

bladerunner

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Empty
PostSubject: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am

Looking at a bigger vehicle for the family. Wife wants a Tahoe, but it ain't gonna happen cuz I am a cheapskate.

So we have narrowed the search down to 2 SUVs: a 2004 Xterra and a 2003 Grand Cherokee. Both are the same price ($8000). Nissan has 65k and the Jeep 75k. Nothing special about the Nissan's V6 but it does get better gas mileage. The Jeep has a V8 and does 14/19. We are currently upgrading from a 2006 Subaru Impreza which did mid 20s.

I have heard hit or miss things about both cars but wanted opinions. We can always wait too. And I did try to get the wife to look at a TrailBlazer or Envoy, but she did not like them. Anyone got experience with these vehicles?
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 am

I like the jeeps. But, the V8's use rediculous gas but have nice power. I feel the nissans have cheap interiors.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 am

I'd still get the Tahoe over both of those. I've heard both good and bad about the Nissans so it's kind of hit or miss. The Jeeps of that generation are terrible. I know several people who've had them. A lot of the parts on them are just cheap crap and fail prematurely, they are notorious for issues with stuff like ductwork and air diverter doors in the dashboard which require removing the entire thing, etc. I wouldn't compare them to a 1980s Jaguar or anything, but I would definitely take a Tahoe first and foremost. You can get a real decent 2000+ one for under six grand. I think the fuel savings "over" a Tahoe or Yukon with the alternative there would be negligible, and the Tahoe will always be cheaper to fix. Just make sure obvious things aren't bad on one such as rotted backing plates on the rear brakes, etc.

The only Jeep product I would ever consider is the older generation Wrangler, or the XJ Cherokees. Even they have their issues like any other vehicle, but they are much more reliable. Smile
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks Matt. I have heard similar things about the Jeeps and I have heard about drivetrain issues with the Nissans. Problem with most of the Tahoes from that era I find are 1: they have mega rot issues 2: they are over-priced (IMHO). Plus the wife really wants the NBS Tahoe, which are ridiculously priced.I have a feeling I might just keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 am

I would hold out for a Tahoe/Yukon, I'd even suggest looking down my way, I know MA isn't great either but I keep forgetting you're in Maine! The land of "Eyah, well she's not totally rotted out yet, so it's like new!" Laughing

I was at a party a few weeks ago, and someone showed up in a very early NBS Suburban. The WHOLE quarter on both sides was all rotted out! Bubbled to shit up all around the wheel well, rotted away at the bottoms of the quarters, and starting on the rockers. I was in complete shock. This was in NH. I've seen them have some rust before but mostly some bubbling in the doglegs and a few with rotted out rockers in the salvage yards. I saw an '01 or so Tahoe at Dunkin Donuts recently with rot just starting in one rocker under the rear door and some blistering starting on the thin dogleg that goes up around the front of the rear wheel well.

Speaking of salvage yards, they always seem to have an abundance of engines for these generation of truck, because they get junked for something like a rotted frame out back but the drivetrain is fine. It definitely gives a hint of what to look for though.

Where are the rot issues you speak of on the Tahoes out of curiosity? I know of the issues with the pickups and stuff. I bought a Tahoe because for some odd reason, they don't seem as bad in that respect as the other NBS trucks. On mine, there is some rust underneath a little bit here and there where the paint was thin when the truck was assembled, around spot welds and such, but no rot, except the back bumper, which I've got to replace in the next few months.

I know they aren't perfect, but nothing is really. I'm just saying I'd take one over the GC or the Nissan. I would take the Nissan over the GC too.

I'd say just keep looking, and don't jump the gun if it doesn't feel right. I've seen a lot of nice Tahoes out there for not too much money, however they have higher miles on them. If something is from a rural area without much traffic jams that doesn't bother me too much...people generally have to drive longer to get where they're going in those places... Smile
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 am

Rot tends to be in the areas you mentioned, though rear quarters are what I typically see with the rockers not too far behind.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:49 am

Well, you could opt for the Z71 like I have...all the useless pieces of plastic will hide it... Laughing

I'd try looking down south in a certain price range, might not have to even drive too far. Now I'm wondering if the rust beast is hiding in mine... Shocked
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:54 am

Yeah anytime I crawl under one of my vehicles is a sobering experience. Wishing I lived in South Carolina or something...
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

Neither Arrow
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am

One of my workers drives an 2000 Xterra
Says its small compared to his prior Ram but certainly comparable to a Jeep
He said 3.3L & good gas mileage
Never failed him & he's not a big maintenace guy
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Xterras love rust like most Nissan trucks. Cool, but they LOVE RUST!

I love the hardbody frame trucks, but I wouldn't buy anything from this area

I love jeeps but the first gen 4.7 isn't as good as the newest ones or so I've heard. A buddy of mine has one and has never put real money into it. Just gas.

IIRC there is a yukon that someone on here owns, in Maine, that may be worth a look Arrow
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 pm

My tahoe is an 01, has 200k miles. Runs like a top. Buy a tahoe. Jeeps are crap, wifes had 3 of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Glen, would you say a high mileage Tahoe is good for long trips? She drives a lot and the vehicle would need to be able to do family trips and such.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 pm

No Moa wrote:
My tahoe is an 01, has 200k miles. Runs like a top. Buy a tahoe. Jeeps are crap, wifes had 3 of them.

See! Laughing

I wouldn't worry about mileage. I've been driving the one I have for 2 years just about and it's never let me down. One time it wouldn't start and we found out it was just a loose wire in the steering column that some alarm installer had left loose. People constantly ask if it's newer with lower mileage. Which is why I really need to fix the back bumper Surprised . I've seen them with over 300K...so 150K is low mileage to me...haha.

They are very comfortable vehicles if that's what you're wondering about. The rear AC in them is awesome too.

Look for is oil in coolant/coolant in oil...as some engines have the Castech cylinder head issue (some 5.3s), doesn't always happen though and even if it did, I'd say a whole 6.0 engine from a junkyard is cheap enough to drop in if you didn't want to replace the heads. Transmissions can go as with anything but they are probably much better than the ones in the JGCs and probably the Nissans too if they were automatics...

Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Don't stone me here, but what do you guys think of Expeditions?

Remember I drive only Chebbies. This is for the wife Smile
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:45 pm

bladerunner wrote:

Get her a Tahoe. You will both be much happier.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

bladerunner wrote:

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Gas-pump-regulations-for-people-with-disabilities

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee 6491CFD8-9BF7-9E9D-C243E8EBC5875FFE

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Ford_triton_spark_plug_broken_off

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:08 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
bladerunner wrote:

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Gas-pump-regulations-for-people-with-disabilities

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee 6491CFD8-9BF7-9E9D-C243E8EBC5875FFE

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Ford_triton_spark_plug_broken_off

LOL

There is a reason you see so many of the 97+ Ford trucks and SUVs either in small used car places for sale cheap or on CL for next to nothing with marker writing on the windshields, I'm pretty sure they go for way less at the auction because the transmissions cost so much to fix and the plugs fly right out of the heads. They have their own rot issues as well, the bed floors, rockers, etc. are very rot prone. It's too bad because those trucks are kinda cool looking. There was a really nice metallic brown/beige Lariat ext. cab one for sale near my old house that my father liked, it was really clean, but ALL the paint on the rockers was bubbling and about to have rust bleeding through, they were rotting from inside out. I would consider a real clean one if it was a great deal but I'd always be expecting something to happen and remember that the Tahoe would be easier to repair.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:17 pm

the 97-03 f-150 series trucks SUCK

The worst ford truck in history I'd say. Cracked exhaust manifolds, busted spark plugs in the heads, CRAP transmissions that go bad all the time, ROT LIKE CRAZY as Matt said. They failed miserable in the crash test department also. I can only imagine the expedition to have the same issues. The plugs in the heads is a carryover to basically any 5.4 IIRC.

Just my thoughts on the expedition. I'm not trying to stone you or be a dick but I wouldn't even consider it. I'd take a rusted GMT400 half ton that was a plow truck over a 97-03 f-150 at the same price.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Stay away from the nissan. They have issues with head gaskets, and timing chains. The jeep with an 6 cyl or a tahoe would be the way to go for reliability.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 pm

What about this one
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 pm

That's nice if the mileage is accurate I guess, I thought it was a police package at first, but I don't know. I does have a spotlight and you can see where equipment was mounted on the floor/dash. But it's 4wd, I thought the actual police Tahoes were RWD...someone here will probably know better than I about them. It could have been special ordered with some sort of fleet package because they wanted a 4wd for Maine. I wonder why it was retired with less than 60K, considering how long these trucks generally run for...

It appears pretty rust free and it has all the power options from what I can see, it prob doesn't have rear HVAC, might not have the compass mirror and other stuff like that, the cloth is nice because it seems to wear well, the leather is always a mess in these trucks, even though it's replaceable. Has a base radio but you have a lot of options there, and it's very easy to pull out and swap. That is the last year they made those, so has the updated back hatch glass with the better hinges that mount THROUGH the hatch glass, with a plastic trim piece covering them up like on the Escalades. The older glass is notorious for broken hinges, they are plastic and glued to the glass/molded to the trim that runs around the glass. Mine is broken, I'm just procrastinating with getting a new one.

I noticed it has a factory style roof lamp button on the dash, I wonder what that is for because it's on in the picture, haha. I would check the exterior for rubber plugs and holes from equipment that's no longer there, etc. Sucks about no center console, but you can always add the factory console to the truck and the fact it has the captain's chairs with armrests help a lot as far as going around corners and stuff. I once slid out of the pass. seat in an Astro cargo van that had no armrests, I had no belt on though. Laughing

I'd go look at it I suppose... Smile
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Only thing my wife wants in it is a third row, which it doesn't have. Unfortunately I have to stick to dealers for the trade in as I still owe on my Subaru. I really wanted to wait until the Subaru was paid off then go get a car, but the wife gave me the ultimatum.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 pm

You can buy the third row seats from CL all the time, and I believe the fastening hardware is sold as a kit? That company "The Seat Shop" started out buying and reselling third row seats from SUVs believe it or not...now they deal in replacement leather and reupholstering, lol.

And the cloth seats should be even cheaper than the leather. Or you could just get the same color back seat in leather... Smile
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for the tip Matt. Well we might go look at it on Monday. Got the day off due to Patriots Day and all.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

Might go check out this 2004 Tahoe in Wiscasset: http://www.normsusedcars.com/used/Chevrolet/2004-Chevrolet-Tahoe-924f4cc10a0a001f0063dc287432cde7.htm
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Ended up getting a 2004 Tahoe with 114K. Thing is loaded and rust free. Paid under what I had budgeted and most importantly, the wife loves it. Very Happy

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Tahoe
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Nice! Get it down here at Norms?
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 pm

I did. Dealt with Chris. Real nice guys and were straight up. I actually did not dicker on the price too much as they gave me a lot more on my trade in than I had expected. My wife said it was the best car buying experience she ever had.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Good. Chris is a good guy. He hates to haggle. Lol. I worked 3 days on the Subaru and got almost no where on price. Lol
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 am

That's a good choice right there. I like the color and wheels plus those fender flares, they look so much nicer with those on them. 2004 has the better looking factory taillights as well with the black edges. I believe that year got a more powerful 5.3 than the earlier ones but I could be mistaken on that.

Have fun with it! I think you'll be happy with this truck. Cool
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:21 am

Just need to undercoat it now. No real rust but I want her to last. I am kind of a POR15 nazi Very Happy
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 am

Fluid film, it's clean, easy, and can get into the little cracks and crevasses that its tough to do with the por and a brush.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:27 am

I use fluid film as well, but more as a touch up before winter. I clean the frame with a wire wheel and user a degreaser, then use POR or Chassis Saver. After that in the winter I will spray fluid film in the wheel wells and the underside as best I can. I always thought fluid film only lasted a few months at best.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 am

I do it twice a year. Works great.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am

Nice choice....good looking vehicle

Thats why I have dibs on Trakkers... Cool
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 pm

^Hahaha. I'm flattered!

I'd try the fluid film. What about also using an undercarriage spray car wash too? I wonder if that would ruin the Fluid Film?

I have to do some painting on the bottom of mine, I will have the bumper and hitch receiver off the truck for replacement sometime this spring, so I might as well do all up above the spare and everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee   Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee Empty

Back to top Go down

Nissan Xterra or Grand Cherokee
Page 1 of 1