BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Doug's Official LS Build thread

Go down 
+19
chapel
bowtiepimp
V8Killer
1984twodoor
outragis
GasTT
JRS9C1
M.ROSS
bfurches
Matt Trakker
laidlow91
sdstick
toomanytoyz
No Moa
boojum
Cadet57
Tomz9C1
bammax
Pooge
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pooge

Pooge

Doug's Official LS Build thread Empty
PostSubject: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Yup, I did it, pulled the trigger, picked up a 5.3 and matching 4L60 today at Bow Auto Parts. I decided to go this way for a budget build to get my car on the road and later I will add the T56 and perhaps even build a monster 6 liter, but I want this car on the road this year.

I had been leaning toward doing something a bit different than an LS1, and after reading this article I was sold on the 5.3 at least for a temporary solution, if not long term.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0804_325_chevy_small_block_engine/index.html

I will get a pic or two up tonight, damn Imageshack is being a PITA right now and I am late for a fishing date, so I gotta run.

Doug
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Good choice. The vortecs are a better buy than the LS1 just because it's the same basic engine but without the huge price markup that comes from the words corvette or camaro.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Great article and good choice. 5.3 is the new 350
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Tadah!
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor

So excited, I think I am going to try to mock it up this weekend, get the wire routing figured and send the harness out.

Doug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Sweet Doug. Billy likey. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Cool Doug. Does the 5.3 bolt right in or do you have to mod the mounts or anything?
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Cool Doug. Does the 5.3 bolt right in or do you have to mod the mounts or anything?

Still uses LS style mounts, so you need a conversion kit, I went with these guys...It's all sitting in the garage with the 1-3/4" long-tubes Smile

http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BRP&Category_Code=CNV5

I'm going to send the harness out, order the Cam and valve springs next week, throw the rear in from the DCM, and hopefully get this baby on the road this year!

Doug
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm

I thought those were gas engines. What the hell kind of fuel is BIO E29?

I like the way it's all capped.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:58 am

congrats Doug. (you suck) lol. Now i'm going to have to get motivated!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 am

Sweet! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 am

Last night I stripped the harness off the motor, by the weekend I would like to have the manifolds off, AC off, and a test fit in the engine bay (Pics will OBVIOUSLY be here).

Harness goes out next week if I don't convince myself I can do the wiring...

OK, here is a little breakdown of the plan....

Step one: Install the motor in stock form with headers and exhaust, block and FEAD all cleaned and painted, stock truck intake setup.
I would like to do this to get the car on the road, as well as to get a baseline on a dyno.

Step two: (this will likely take place this winter) Install the cam, install LS1 intake setup
I would like to get a dyno run in like this as well obviously

Step Three: Install the T56, install the built rear (True-trak, 4.56s)
Timeframe on this is a bit foggy, kind of depends when I have the coin for the tranny and F2B kit, I don't want to rush this, I kind of want to wait for a sweet deal to fall in my lap for the T56.

Just wanted to post a little update, I had a lot of fun last night looking over the motor, seeing just how different it is than an LT1, and finding all kinds of little things I can do for cleaning it up and making it look nice that wont cost me more than a couple cans of paint.

Any recommendations on where to mount the coil packs? I'm not sure if I like them on the valve covers...

Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 am

Of all the LS builds ive seen, most of them are on the valve covers. I think it looks sharp. And easy to work on.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:08 pm

From what I've heard the truck intake may not fit under the hood. That's why people sacrafice the torque curve and run the ls6 intake. It adds alot of clearence.

Also do a search on which vette fuel filter has the built in return. The mid to late gen 3 engine's don't have a return line off the fuel rail and your ss fuel system does use a return. The vette filter has the return built into it so that you can retain your stock sending unit. I just can't remember which vette it's from. I want to say the first year ls1 or the first year ls6
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Just in case you missed this. Some ideas to bounce around.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=244592&highlight=ltcc
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Took all the accessories off tonight and degreased it real nice.

bammax wrote:
From what I've heard the truck intake may not fit under the hood. That's why people sacrafice the torque curve and run the ls6 intake. It adds alot of clearence.

Psshh, I have a couple hoods, I'll cut a hole in one if I have to. I do plan to have the LS1 or LS6 intake at some point, but for now I will make the truck one work.

sdstick wrote:
Just in case you missed this. Some ideas to bounce around.

Some great ideas there...however after looking at them all, I guess the way they are mounted on the valve covers will be best, if not only because it will make the plug wire routing easier and less messy.

Assuming I get the hoist bracket by the weekend, I should have a test fit with the truck pan this weekend, then I go into hardcore painting mode, with any luck I'll have paint on the block, valve covers, Accessory bracket, and coil pack holders.

Doug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:13 pm

So
How much are you into it at this point with kit, engine and tranny? I am thinking I like this idea if I keep the wagon.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Pooge wrote:

sdstick wrote:

... I guess the way they are mounted on the valve covers will be best, if not only because it will make the plug wire routing easier and less messy.
As long as your not changing or adjusting rockers the valve covers will be ok
(not that I can actually SEE your valve covers in the pic)
I like the gap between the valve cover & intake. Is there any room there?
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:58 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
So
How much are you into it at this point with kit, engine and tranny? I am thinking I like this idea if I keep the wagon.

This the wagon your selling? Or a different wagon?
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:06 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
So

I was going to hold out a bit longer to show this, but I think I'm doing pretty well. I am spending a bit more than someone else could do it for, just because I wanted to find the most bolt-in way I could.

-96 Impala without motor/tranny: $1500
-BRP Swap Kit with 1-3/4" ceramic coated headers, CTS-V oil pan, mounts: $1400
-5.3 LS motor (76K miles) and 4L60E Tranny (32k miles): $1400
To date: $4300

To come:
-Complete Custom plug-and-play harness & PCM tune: About $1000

There will be more obviously, like fuel plumbing, exhaust, etc., but above should be the big numbers...I will have a complete rundown once it is running. I want to stress that although I am doing this on a "budget" it could be done for a lot less if someone was willing to do their own wiring, fab mounts, use their old 4L60 with adapters, etc. I just really wanted to make this as plug-n-play as possible.

I am shooting for having this thing on the road for under $7000.

Doug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Pooge wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
So

I am shooting for having this thing on the road for under $7000.

Doug
Sweet.
No Moa wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
So

This the wagon your selling? Or a different wagon?
I can not make up my mind. The longer I wait, the less I want to sell.

Now for something thread related.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228454
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: update   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 pm

OK, so I did not get to test fit it, just too much going on around the house and at work, but I did get everything painted and back together!

Before:
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor

Now:
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor001
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor002

Block, FEAD, Idlers: Black
Water pump, power steering pump, and valve covers: Gunmetal gray
Intake will stay black plastic because I dont plan it to be there past winter.

Still need to sand blast and repaint the coil holders, and do something about the alternator (can I take the cage off it and paint that?)

I need to put the CTS-V oil pan and the LS mounts on and hopefully I can get a test fit in this week. I did not want to test fit till I had it all back together so I could check all clearances.

Doug
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Take the alternator to a shop & have them strip it for you
Do whatever you want to the case & have them re-assemble
They'll probably hit you for $40 but will give it a clean internal bill of health too.
Those headers look to nice to use.WOW. Good choice on the color scheme
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:08 pm

sdstick wrote:
Take the alternator to a shop & have them strip it for you
Do whatever you want to the case & have them re-assemble
They'll probably hit you for $40 but will give it a clean internal bill of health too.
Those headers look to nice to use.WOW. Good choice on the color scheme

Thanks Steve, that is a great idea on the alternator, have it all taken care of while I'm painting it!
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 am

Son of a ..... those are long headers.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 am

And look at those collectors, those are gorgeous
Shame theyre under the car, they look like they belong sticking out the 1/4's
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:32 am

Nice color choice! Wink

Oh, you could always just polish the alternator. Smile

Looks great! Those headers are damn sexy!
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 pm

OK, she is in! BRP motor mount kit with headers and CTS-V oil pan

We started out with an empty engine bay, power washed it last night.
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor004

Pulled the stock frame mounts and painted the exposed parts of the frame and a few accessories in a flat black (I have a set of a-arms that I will PC later)
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor006

The install went fairly well, no huge hangups until we got the passenger side motor mount into the frame mount and could not the the driver side no matter how much we tried...I figured it might help to get the car up in the air and look under, turns out the CTS-V oil pan has some sort of mount on the side of it, one of the bungs was hitting the crossmember, since it was just a mount for something, out came the saw!
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor007
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor009

Tightened everything up and test fit the headers...PERFECTION!
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor010
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor011

If you want to do this swap on a car that you need the heater in...you're going to have to get creative...
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor012

Just barely cleared the wiper motor, just enough room to plug it in with the coils on
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor013
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor014

All in all, if I had known about the little notch on the oil pan needing to come off, this would have been a bolt up swap so far. The truck manifold would clear a 2" cowl, but it does not clear the very top of the firewall, just the excuse I needed to go buy the car intake now instead of waiting till later. It just looks SO MUCH better, I'm almost glad I have to spend the extra money now. I'll likely get the car FEAD at the same time to keep the the alternator down a few inches, as that is above the fender line as well.

Sending the harness out to Current Performance Wiring Tuesday, should be 2-3 weeks.

Doug

Last edited by Pooge on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Lookin pretty kick ass, man! You must be getting pretty psyched! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 am

The Vette fead setup will mount pretty much everything nice and low for clearence. I'm not sure but from the pics I've seen the GTO setup also mounts things pretty low. I'd imagine Camaro brackets would be the cheapest but I'm not sure on the placement of the alternator and such in those cars.

I'd say that if the engine were about 3-4 inches further forward it would be a perfect kit for street use. Looks a little too far back for my liking. Of course you'll never drive that thing in bad weather so you really don't need heat and wipers Wink
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

laidlow91

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:26 am

WOW!!!! those headers are sick...
paint work looks good on the motor.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Dude, this looks awesome...I can't believe how quick it's coming together for you considering the future result...I'm definitely a n00b, but you've put the idea in my head to do something like this to either the 93 or my 74 Impala (the engine in that car is kinda tired) somewhere down the road. I'm guessing there'd be more wiggle room in that thing!

So you didn't have to alter the crossmember aside from the motor mounts because of the CTS oil pan and the headers you're running?

Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

So you didn't have to alter the crossmember aside from the motor mounts because of the CTS oil pan and the headers you're running?

That is correct, the mounts and oil pan (minus the extra mount that I had to cut off) are absolutely perfect. Oil pan is flush with the bottom of the crossmember.

I can't wait to get this thing going and show you guys how easy and semi affordable the LS swap is.

Doug
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Doug, this build is NASTY!

I cant believe I have overlooked this thread.

If I may put in my 2*.....stick with the 5.3
Its an AWSOME overlooked power-plant. I like the slightly smaller displacement and rev friendly engines....and as you have obviously found out; the compatibility with the other ls platforms.

These 5.3s respond amazing to boost Smile
I know of a lot of FWD impalas with turbo setups deep into the 11's on street cars.

If there is anything I can do to help, or you need access to any parts let me know.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:17 am

bfurches wrote:
Doug, this build is NASTY!

I cant believe I have overlooked this thread.

If I may put in my 2*.....stick with the 5.3
Its an AWSOME overlooked power-plant. I like the slightly smaller displacement and rev friendly engines....and as you have obviously found out; the compatibility with the other ls platforms.

These 5.3s respond amazing to boost Smile
I know of a lot of FWD impalas with turbo setups deep into the 11's on street cars.

If there is anything I can do to help, or you need access to any parts let me know.

Thanks, the more I look into it, the more info I find about how this motor is a "waste of time when there are 6.0 liters out there" What a crock of shit these morons are spitting. Unbelievably there are still people subscribing to the adage of "There is no replacement for displacement" when SC, Turbo, and happy spray are all somewhat common now. I have even seen guys online arguing that the 5.3 is not a valid replacement for the LT1 because the LT1 has more cubes and there is more aftermarket support...LOL

LSx are the hot rod motors of future and the more I read this bogus crap the more I want to build this motor. I don't mind a high rever, especially since I plan a 6 speed swap on this baby, I like to play in the high power band, I'll be driving this thing like I did my WRX.

Harness goes out today!

Doug

Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am

6.0 5.3 makes no diff, same motor in the end.

But I will argue there is no replacement for displacement. When ur talkin old sckool.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 am

Doug...as you have already found (and most likely knew for quite some time), the internet can be your best friend and worst enemy. Its a matter of taking what these clowns say with a grain of salt. Its amazing how many people who dont even lift a wrench on there own vehicles can tell you what you need to finish your own lol.

...and I agree with moa....if you are going for an NA race setup, then yes, there is no replacement for displacement, but on a street car there are far more options Smile
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Displacement is great depending on how it's used. A low displacement motor that spins high and fast can do wonders down a drag strip. A monster engine that spins low and slow must make a bunch of torque just to keep up. That's why it can be fun to play with both big blocks (when you want to lift the nose up on launch) and the old 327's (when you want to fly past beamers and still sound like a real v8). All gen 3's are basically small blocks in the 3-400 ci range so the difference is negligable. Now the ls7 and lsx are completely different stories Wink
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Update: Just snagged an LS1 intake with injectors and rail for $90 shipped from a guy on LS1tech... Smile Should be here by the weekend

Doug
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Sweet deal. There is a F.A.S.T. Billet throttle body laying around my buddys shop for that manifold Smile
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:39 pm

bfurches wrote:
Sweet deal. There is a F.A.S.T. Billet throttle body laying around my buddys shop for that manifold Smile

Tempting, I may PM you about that if I don't have one between myself and my buddies

Doug
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Justin came over today to work on his under carriage, I figured since my car was on the lift last night and there was no tranny or gas tank in that I aught to sand down the vicious rust spots and finish paint the floor pans...

Here is before:
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor025

Oh the horror!!! (by far the worst spot)
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor026

This was while my finger was cramped, this is the "Two Face" faze...
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor027

Finish pics...bad ones
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor028
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor029

More to come...

Doug
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Pooge wrote:

Oh the horror!!! (by far the worst spot)
Doug's Official LS Build thread Impalamotor026

Your worst part was my best part lol!
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Cadet stole my line.Best/worst yada yada !!!!!!
Is that the original brake line in the last picture ?
Looks as clean as my brand new stainless.
If my underbody was that clean.I would have never removed the body.
I AM JEALOUS Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 pm

M.ROSS wrote:

Yah, it's all original, 46K miles Smile

I have to say though Mark, your frame off is what made me want to hit the floor while I had everything out. Your's looked so good I just had to have fresh paint on mine.

Doug
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I feel sheepish. Sad

Looks awesome, you bastid. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 am

Pooge wrote:
M.ROSS wrote:

I have to say though Mark, your frame off is what made me want to hit the floor while I had everything out. Your's looked so good I just had to have fresh paint on mine.

Doug
What's really gonna set yours apart is the heat sheilds.
I had to paint mine black/They are like a galvanized material.
Clean/Polish em up a little and the contrast will really set it off.
How anal am I ??????????
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:48 am

M.ROSS wrote:
Pooge wrote:
M.ROSS wrote:

Doug
What's really gonna set yours apart is the heat sheilds.
I had to paint mine black/They are like a galvanized material.
Clean/Polish em up a little and the contrast will really set it off.
How anal am I ??????????

It's like you read my mind. I have them in a stack for a paint or polish, depending on how they look polished or if I cut the S out of my hands doing it, then I might paint them.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 am

Save your hands.
Theyre galvy so if you cut through the coating you'll just cause yourself grief.
If they're in good shape you could clear coat them. That'll make the white oxidation disappear.
Along those lines have you set yourself up an electrolsis station yet?
I bet you could make a whole lot of parts look much better after an overnight bath.
I've got a 50 gallon plastic drum I'm going to set up & try.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 am

Considering that your talking about heat shields I'd paint them a nice high gloss silver. That'll match up with any chrome that you decide to run plus it'll reflect the heat alot better than black would.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 9:10 am

LS1 intake came today! Pics to come tonight, hopefully I have enough time to get it installed!

Doug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doug's Official LS Build thread   Doug's Official LS Build thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Doug's Official LS Build thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next