BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. Empty
PostSubject: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 pm

This thread will document from start to finish, the rebuild of my Impala.(Thanks to my friends)

I am starting to plan the conversion to move the impala over to the caprice. I have about a half gallon of chassis saver that I want to use for the frame, floor pans, and wheel wells. I would like to lift the shell off the frame to paint everything, and replace the body bushings.

There was a master suspension kit, and a body bushing kit from energy suspension, but I can't find them in jegs or summit, or even energy suspension's website. Does anyone know the part numbers?
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: EBAY   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:08 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energy-Suspension-Body-Mount-Bushings-94-96-Impala-SS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885bf47e2QQitemZ380201027554QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 pm

try this for now

http://impalasuperstore.com/superstore2010/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Beat ya by a minute Bobby and my price is better. Very Happy
Anybody using these ?
Do they squeek.
How hard are they to install.
Does the body have to come comepletely off the frame ?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 pm

M.ROSS wrote:
Anybody using these ?
Do they squeek.

ya ya Smile I gave him that link for the part #s.. the body bushings by the rear end you will have to lift the body off almost a foot, did you search the Impala forum somebody did them and didn't like them. I had the front suspension ones on a monti and they sqeek but they are easier to install than stock bushings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:28 pm

M.ROSS wrote:
Anybody using these ?
Do they squeek.
I did add the missing bushings on my original 94 ss back in the late 90s, but those were not between the frame and body. I would imagine you would just loosen up an entire side, and use a jack to take the pressure off the bushing you are trying to replace.

I have used poly bushings many times in the past for suspensions. I just put some vasaline to keep the squeeks away.
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:33 pm

That sucks = squeeking !!!!
I'd like to do the bushings
Some look like they'd be easy.
The write up for bushings in the herd article doesn't mention lifting it that high.
http://www.theherd.com/articles/bushings.html
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm running them in my 96. They dont squeak unless the bolts loosen up. They are HARD
Roads around here scream for rubber but new rubber will cost you 2x the $ of those
I have new rubber waiting to go in cause I hate hitting like that
From what I've read you need about 3-4" of seperation to swap them out, I'll be finding out.
I'm about to frame off my old 95 to see if I rebuild it for Matt or punt like Bill M
Wont be a crazy restoration just solid armor for his 1st car
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Billy and his Vasoline.
What do you do buy it in 55 gal drums. affraid
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 pm

M.ROSS wrote:

The write up for bushings in the herd article doesn't mention lifting it that high.
I didnt read that whole thing again, but if I remember that writeup was for lowers only
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:38 pm

I don't know about the Impala body bushings but when we did the 70 chevelle we had to buy all new factory
bushings just for the steel inserts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:53 pm

sdstick wrote:
M.ROSS wrote:

I didnt read that whole thing again, but if I remember that writeup was for lowers only
That is the original Scott Mueller writeup I used back in the day to replace my missing lowers. Only the 9c1s got all upper and lower bushings. The caprice, and Impala had 6 missing lower bushings at the front of the body shell.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 pm

It's really not a big issue missing the body bushings. Just when you go over big bumps you wait for the front end to "land" which can take a few seconds. It's an odd feeling at first but you get used to it. It's like the feeling you get in fast elevators when you stop at a floor and then wait for your head to land back on your shoulders bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 11:26 pm

bammax wrote:
It's really not a big issue missing the body bushings. Just when you go over big bumps you wait for the front end to "land" which can take a few seconds. It's an odd feeling at first but you get used to it. It's like the feeling you get in fast elevators when you stop at a floor and then wait for your head to land back on your shoulders bounce
That would be the sloppy front suspension, not the body bushings. drunken Besides after I did the lower install, I did not feel a difference. I guess Scott pushed his harder than I did.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 am

I did the whole Energy body mount setup in the Impala, what a nightmare it was to install... However when done the car felt a lot firmer, but as stated, when you get on a rough road you know it...

Doug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.   Planning the rebuild of Sshamu. Empty

Back to top Go down

Planning the rebuild of Sshamu.
Page 1 of 1