BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh

Go down 
+4
bammax
silverfox103
toomanytoyz
Matt Trakker
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh Empty
PostSubject: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Anyone have any advice on this? I know it's a truck but figured I'd ask...

I'm pretty sure the rear end in my truck is toast. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as old as the truck (about to hit 230K).. I was pulling out of a street taking a left, said street was heading up an incline with a stop sign, onto the main street, one tire was on wet leaves with dry pavement ahead and the other was just on dry pavement as I pulled out. One wheel spun going around the corner, grabbed dry pavement, heard a metallic big bang OUTSIDE the truck and now it seems to be hanging up going around corners, and grabbing a bit heading straight. It's getting worse as I drive it too. Making big banging sounds that literally echo off of buildings I drive by, it's that loud!
I don't know exactly what happened (shattered spider gear chunk floating around in there or something?) but I DO know it can't be good.

The truck is a 93 2dr Blazer, 10 bolt, G80 with 3:42. I'm just not sure if I should try to have the old one rebuilt, take a chance with a junkyard 10 bolt from a CFC Tahoe or Yukon, etc, or maybe swap in a 14 bolt six lug from a heavy half ton or light duty 3/4 ton with a Detroit True-Trac and all that? I've seen 2dr Tahoes with 14 bolts swapped in before...I know there is a conversion U-joint that you can use for it...but I'm no expert and I don't think I can do this myself...

Anyone know any good custom driveshaft shops or places to get rear ends rebuilt...maybe I really should check Hollands for a CFC Tahoe or Suburban or something for a junk rear end and just have it swapped in...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Sounds like the Gov-bomb let go. Sad

Might be cheaper to just get a junkyard rear end and swap it in. Bunch of Hoe's at Hollands in Billerica...
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Matt, the truck has 230K on it, I think the cheapest fix would be to get a used unit rather than having one rebuilt. Replace apples with apples

My 2 cents

Tom
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeaaaaa...that's what I was thinking...probably should just find another one with the same gear ratio. I need this thing for the winter!

I'll probably head up there tomorrow...I doubt I can do that job myself but I think I know a couple places down my way Laughing
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:37 pm

The last time I did one it wasn't a bad job, if I remember correctly (it was 45 years ago). Drop the driveshaft, pull the axles, and take the 10 bolts/nuts off and the unit should come right out. Maybe someone with more recent experience will pop in. Bill C?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Yeah, it's the u-bolts and brake lines, d-shaft and stuff...but I have a bad driveway that almost prohibits me from even doing my own oil changes and no air tools, LOL

I'll see what happens, I have some friends down here with certain helpful aides for such a job. I need a damn lift, and a garage! Laughing
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Matt, I believe all you need to replace is the carrier. You keep the same housing and just change the guts.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:48 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Matt, I believe all you need to replace is the carrier. You keep the same housing and just change the guts.

Yeah, but I think it'd be easier to just swap out the whole axle with a lower mileage one.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:49 pm

I was thinking of swapping a True Trac into the stock axle, but I think that would mean total disassembly of the entire axle with it off the truck to make sure no metal shreds got in all over the place right?

I'll probably check out Hollands tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I was thinking of swapping a True Trac into the stock axle, but I think that would mean total disassembly of the entire axle with it off the truck to make sure no metal shreds got in all over the place right?

I'll probably check out Hollands tomorrow...

Yeah, once you've driven around with metal bits roaming around in there, I wouldn't run that housing again without a very thorough inspection...

Just swap in a good used one for a couple hundred bucks...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:12 am

Matt, it sounds like you need a "mod" day at your house Saturday.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:09 pm

I went up to Hollands yesterday, they had a lot of trucks but everything was stuffed in like sardines and I couldn't really get a good look at anything, found about 10 trucks with Gu6 10 bolts but they were sitting in mud/caked in rusticles and didn't really look like something I'd want to bother with. Gotta keep looking!

Bill I think I saw that 2dr you got the seats out of.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:29 am

Ugh......

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh IMG_8398

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh IMG_8405

I think I've decided to get another car or truck for the winter to just try and maintain and hope nothing happens. I like this truck too much to put a junk rear end in it, and I'm definitely not buying one unless it's already off a truck, not rusted to death, and hasn't been sitting in mud. Otherwise, it's going to end up just like the one in the truck already with the water-contaminated gear oil! And rust sucks. I'd rather hold out for a nice one. I'll look at more places, but the fact that Hollands only seemed to have stuff that was still bolted to trucks with crusty undercarriages sitting in mug bogs wasn't too promising!

Even if I found one tomorrow, odds are I'm not going to have the truck driveable for weeks. I need to stop driving the Impala NOW because it's getting ruined, the back window leaks and my trunk is now suitable for use as a fish tank, the back seat's backrest is getting wet too, and the car is filthy. Snow will be here soon, and I've had no choice but to drive it around for the last couple weeks in downpours, with antique plates too!

I think I'm either going to look for a cheap B-body or an 88-95 GM fullsize truck.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 am

Use www.car-part.com there are rears for your truck in your current gearing ranging from $200 with under 100k miles all the way up to rebuilt units for $1200. Then just go check out the ones that interest you.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:46 am

bammax wrote:
Use www.car-part.com there are rears for your truck in your current gearing ranging from $200 with under 100k miles all the way up to rebuilt units for $1200. Then just go check out the ones that interest you.

Yea, that's the site I use, it's great, but it would still take me weeks to get a rear end in there I'm guessing. The guy I was going to have do it is a little busy, can't drive the truck very far, and I'm not having it towed! We'll see what happens though.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 am

I dunno man, I'd still have a yard pull a rear end for me and toss it in asap. Odds are that it's not going to fail any time soon. Who cares if it's rusty and crusty? It's a winter beater!!! And it'd get the Impala off the road.

Also, LMK if you are going to get rid of it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:14 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I dunno man, I'd still have a yard pull a rear end for me and toss it in asap. Odds are that it's not going to fail any time soon. Who cares if it's rusty and crusty? It's a winter beater!!! And it'd get the Impala off the road.

Also, LMK if you are going to get rid of it. Wink

LOL you've never even seen the truck in person! But you're like the fifth person in line wanting my truck, hahahaha.

I think I might have tomorrow off, I'm indecisive by nature and it's just driving me nuts. I'm thinking now, I know what this truck needs, don't really need another crapcan for the winter that might break, should just get the damn axle. I emailed a kid about a 94 Roadmaster, says it's mint in the ad then turns out the car needs a few things...so I think that's indicative of what I'll find for the price range.

I'll look around some more and if I don't find anything better/cheaper I'll go back to Hollands.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Update- I think I decided to just fix my stock axle.

There is a Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealership near my house that is closing at the end of the month and I know a guy there that does side work. Well all of a sudden with word of the closure they have no business, and these guys work flat rate so they're making no money, lol.

I was just there picking someone up and the guy asked if I'd fixed my truck yet, he mentioned they had a few rear ends in parts sitting in the building that were supposed to be returned to GM for some problem not related to the rear diff itself, but I didn't really want to mess with another G80. Then he said if I wanted, I could just buy an Auburn Posi or a True Trac or something like that and he'll install it for me. I think I'm going to go this route, this way I'll know whats in there, while he has the axle apart he can look for other problems and fix them if need be, and while I still have the 10 bolt in there with my good brakes on it, I'll also be able to say I don't have a G80 anymore.

I think it will be fine even with the fact that a spider ate itself. There wasn't much metal floating around and I'm guessing the whole carrier would be replaced, right? Any tips on what I should buy and what places online are good to shop at?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts.as...ication&page=3\

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auburn-Gear/109/542022/10002/-1

I have to get this done in the next two weeks I guess...the dealership is going to be closed up.
Back to top Go down
21/4tonsoffun

21/4tonsoffun

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 am

Jegs is about the best you can do. you can find them occasionally for about 20 bucks less. I called a friend at FleetPride and he said his cost is $314 and the best he could do for me is $350 with a 3 week wait.

He also told me he could knock off @280 for an ARB air locker but your looking at $500 still.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Good to know-

I finally got the truck started after it sitting for a month and drove it around the yard/let it run...seeing it go down the tubes like this, I think I'm going to look into band-aiding my current axle with parts from stuff in that dealership if possible, failing that, find a used rear end, failing that, do with a True-Trac for the 10-bolt and hope for the best.

I'm also going to start looking for a cheap 14-bolt sf to build up someday and swap in, but that's on the back burner. I get so many differing opinions over on fullsizechevy.com about not wasting my time with the 10 bolt and getting a 14 bolt six lug vs. keeping the 10 bolt in there!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 2:55 pm

So I finally did something toward getting the truck back on the road, I picked up this turd in NH:

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 36392_523110562216_213500340_31157445_213220_n

14 bolt six lug with 3.42s and the locking diff.
Terrible pic, but in New England it seems they all look like this...and I didn't really pay much for it.
Everything in the junkyards from the OBS trucks seems to be like this, except sitting in big mud puddles and not already removed from the trucks, haha.
The guy said it had "new brakes", but I guess in NH "new brakes" must mean several year old brake shoes and not all the whole brake hardware like we say in the Boston area. Laughing
They probably worked, but I think I'm going to spring for some new brake hardware, wheel cyls, etc for this if I'm going through the trouble of putting it in my truck. It has some new lines on it too, but they look kinda ghetto as far as routing and such. I guess I should swap the ones over from my Blazer to the rear end anyway, including the proportioning valve? I dunno, I'll figger it out.

I'm going to start stripping this down if I have time this weekend, or on Monday, get it ready for some paint. I have to find my grinder and get a wire wheel for it...or just use my drill, a brush cup, and a wire brush/scraper. A friend told me he may have some of that "One Step" stuff left over. We'll see.

I think I'm going to browse Amazon for the brake parts...it worked great getting those Moog "Problem Solver" front end parts for my Caprice.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:04 am

That baby looks pretty clean for a New England axle. All mine always look like that.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 am

I feel a lot better now that I've got a second opinion... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am

It's cleaner than the one I am building for the Marshmallow! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 am

Matt Trakker wrote:

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 36392_523110562216_213500340_31157445_213220_n
Nice ford truck. scratch
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 11:16 am

S'not mine... Smile

It's for sale though..anyone...anyone?

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh Teacher1

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Damn, this is going to be a bigger project then I had imagined...

Upon closer inspection a couple of the spiders are kinda worn, but I dunno if they need to be replaced just yet. Also for some reason there appears to be black paint on some of the inside parts? I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh Wtf
Maybe it was rebuilt before, but why the hell would someone paint parts like gears? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

When I turn one of the axle flanges the other side moves freely without binding up, I still need to flip this over into a better position to turn the yoke again but I think it's fine...I can't flip it myself (pulled muscle). Guy also told me it was a G80. Call me crazy but that looks like an open diff. I don't care either way, with the spiders being messed up looking, I'm glad it's not a G80 if I'll have to replace them.

I ordered new shoes, hardware/spring kits for both sides, new wheel cylinders, new star wheel self adjuster kits for both sides, and a new diff cover gasket. I held off on drums, I am going to see who can turn drums because new they aren't cheap. I ordered the parts from Rock Auto, and shipping some heavy-ass drums is obviously going to be expensive...maybe I can get some drums a lot cheaper from a retailer around here instead and be done with it (relatively speaking, lol).

I kind of want to put a Detroit True Trac in this, but with as much as those cost, I think if I do that, I should have the whole thing rebuilt with bearings and stuff. We'll see...There is a place in Wakefield called Montrose that "everyone goes to" for driveline work, however when I went there asking about a rebuild for my 10bolt, the guy didn't even know what a 14 bolt sf six-lug was. I didn't take that as a good sign, especially with what they charge. Shocked

Last edited by Matt Trakker on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 2:44 pm

So this ain't friggin' good....after some scraping of all the scale on the rear end, there are two pinholes rotted through the damn axle tube because of those dumb upside-down u-bolt anchor plates GM used on the bottom of the tube!

I don't know if I can have these welded shut or not...maybe I should ask my friend if he still has a 14sf laying around...
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I have 2 ideas based on what I'd do in your position. Either return the rear and get another one in better shape. Or take the internals from that one and swap them into your original housing. Between the 2 you have the parts for a complete build. Plus it'll let you do some upgrades and such while your at it.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Well, I got it off some kinda redneck guy, so a return likely isn't in the cards.

Second...I'm swapping in this 14 bolt sf in place of the original 10 bolt, because ten bolts in trucks are pretty chintzy. I've had more annoying brake problems and other clunkiness with this thing than I'd like to remember, which is why the 14 bolt six lug swap is so popular with these trucks...anyway, I don't think any of the parts are interchangeable...

My buddy has a 14sf he was saving for a truck he never built...I'm looking at it thursday. A bunch of people have told me I can weld this one and it will be fine, but I think my friend's axle is in better shape, and I kind of want the truck fixed quicker. I may save this 14 bolt I have now, or just resell it. When I saw the pinhole I freaked, I never heard of it happening before, but I guess it's common!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:19 am

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 34654_523273091506_213500340_31163726_4013558_n
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 34654_523273096496_213500340_31163727_2460529_n

Shocked

Last edited by Matt Trakker on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:00 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 34654_523273091506_213500340_31163726_4013558_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 34654_523273096496_213500340_31163727_2460529_n

Shocked
I think I would just pull both spider gears from the new rear and put in your old one. I would not attempt to use that housing.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:02 am

Try checking out this listing before it expires
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/1782289511.html
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Went to look at the other rear end, MUCH nicer shape. It has been in a shed for 5 years. Needs spiders like this one does, looks like it needs a pinion seal or maybe just had residual grease from the bottom of the truck it was in. Much less rust overall, no scale, pretty "dry" and solid looking. The backing plates still had black paint on them from the factory. Picking it up on Saturday!

I'll probably have the axle seals and bearings done while it's apart and paint it up nice, looks like it will take a coat of paint real well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Should be in the truck next week, finally. I ground this down with a wire wheel, then painted it with Master Series rust sealing aluminum primer. Then I rattle canned it with Rustoleum.

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 35338_523756083586_213500340_31177607_4326466_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 35338_523756088576_213500340_31177608_6635975_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 35263_523798433716_213500340_31178748_4492119_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 35263_523798423736_213500340_31178746_4338506_n

Flipped it over to get the other side painted, found that the silver paint doesn't even want to come off when a grinder hits it. Shocked
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 39861_523935284466_213500340_31182894_4979993_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 39861_523935289456_213500340_31182895_3241325_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 39747_523935314406_213500340_31182897_3325112_n

Cool
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 39861_523935274486_213500340_31182892_3377743_n

Have all the brake parts, gonna have new brake lines, I got new Yukon spider gears for it, conversion u-joint, U-bolt flip kit to convert it from the stupid GM design over to "real" u-bolts, and what have you. Can't wait to get this thing on the road again.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:34 pm

U-bolts and plates:

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59039_525269311066_213500340_31227037_5726359_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59163_525269336016_213500340_31227038_663767_n

New spider gear set:
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59163_525269341006_213500340_31227039_1309875_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59163_525269345996_213500340_31227040_4991949_n

Done! (For now)

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59163_525269350986_213500340_31227041_5680620_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59039_525269306076_213500340_31227036_2311285_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59039_525269301086_213500340_31227035_806013_n

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59163_525269355976_213500340_31227042_3012662_n
Same view exactly 3 years ago:
I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh N213500340_30519615_1700

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 59398_525269281126_213500340_31227034_335122_n
Precision #447 u-joint and GM u-joint straps (for a 93ish K2500 application, I believe all 14b's are the same yoke specs...)

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh 58526_525269400886_213500340_31227043_2097227_n
One of my bilsteins got toasted in the rubber at the bottom when the bottom bolt wouldn't come out no matter what. So now I have one blue shock. Laughing It rides fine, you can't tell they're any different.

The truck drives a lot better, these body style trucks are notorious for having a crappy feeling brake pedal that dips too low, and it almost seems like the bigger brakes in the back help that now. This axle is wider than a 10 bolt axle too by a little bit on each side, so it handles slightly better! The truck seems slightly slower, so I'm figuring either the brakes are adjusted too tight (but I don't smell brakes or anything), the axle is that much heavier (it felt twice as heavy loading and unloading it), or I'm just used to driving the smoother running and faster Caprice.

Now I need to get a new windshield, have the rust fixed in the windshield upper channel, and the rot fixed on the bottom of the pass. side quarter...
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I'd try adjusting the brakes just to be safe. Then make sure you're at the right level on diff fluid. If it still feels sluggish then it's just because of the gear ratio or becasue you're not used to it. I remember my Blazer had alot of get up and go and sounded like a train out of control, but the speedo didn't quite match all the drama Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah, I'll probably play with them when I get a chance. The fluid is right and the ratio is the same as before, 3.42.

Every single brake component is brand new save for the brake drums (which aren't that old, I just stripped and painted) and the e-brake cables, which never gave me a problem in this truck. I've had maladjusted back brakes before and you could definitely smell brakes burning...it even happened in this truck when I got it. I think it's all in my mind. It is running a lot better than a few weeks ago when it was almost stalling (and my lowlife neighbor called the FD because I left the truck running in my yard for 45 minutes to clear it up Laughing ), but still isn't perfect, and I suspect that could be a problem too. Most of the tune up parts are recent, etc., but the truck WAS off the road since last fall/winter. I may toss a new GM ignition coil in there, it might be as old as the truck...

It's still pretty ballsy for what it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Very cool! Looks good. Smile

I think you may just have gotten used to the caprice. Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Very cool! Looks good. Smile

I think you may just have gotten used to the caprice. Wink

Dude, you have no idea. I drove the truck all day today, then took the Caprice to fill up the gas tank in preparation for the damn hurricane...I almost fell asleep it rode so nice in comparison. It was like a hovercraft. Funny how you get used to things and take them for granted. Laughing

I forgot to mention, if anyone here ever gets an 88-98 GM truck and you try to run tires that are 33"/285s or larger, you should do this swap or the rear end will probably give out soon. The 10 bolts probably should have never been installed in trucks. Shocked
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 am

Wonder how well that rear would fit in a b-body scratch
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:44 pm

bammax wrote:
Wonder how well that rear would fit in a b-body scratch

It's funny you mention that, there was an old Nascar 65 Impala on that BringaTrailer.com site (that has supposedly been restored already after being found in a barn covered in filth) that had Chevy truck six lug axles swapped into it. I'll try to find the link (I may have actually posted it here once)
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Congratulations on not using every bit of that paint on the undercarriage
I always have a hard time putting the can down
Looks great & you have pics.
Come spring we can do a comparison pic
(silver driveshaft FTW)
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Here is that Impala:

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/06/15/nascar-in-a-barn-1965-chevrolet-impala/

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/17/bat-reader-mail-60-day-nascar-impala-restoration/

Car came out BEAUTIFUL:
http://nascarimpala.com/

I can't believe they did all that work so fast! I wish NASCAR were still as cool as it was back then.

sdstick wrote:
Congratulations on not using every bit of that paint on the undercarriage
I always have a hard time putting the can down
Looks great & you have pics.
Come spring we can do a comparison pic
(silver driveshaft FTW)

I actually plan on painting more of the undercarriage next week, or even over the weekend. The wheelwells are already pretty clean and undercoated so that should be easy. I am going to clearcoat everything with some wheel clear that I have left over, once the axle is touched up, that might help it stay nice longer and even protect the brake lines from rusting?

The thing is a mess from sitting, I just cleaned the seating area of the interior and 303'd everything. I still have more to do.
The '09 wheels and tires are going on permanently (I will coat them with some of that Poorboys sealant for the winter) and I am selling the original Z71 wheels and BFGs, someone with a plow truck will probably grab them.

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 1:08 am

Hey Matt,

The rear looks great in the truck and I think once you go back under with the paint it'll look great. (especially at 230K) But I hope it serves you well this winter unlike last year lol. And make sure the neighbors know its a truck not a danger to society (toyota drivers suck!)

Oh, and get some pics up with the 09 wheels and tires Laughing

P.S. That impala story was SWEET! I would love to have an old stock car or at least a clone someday, preferably one that's street-able Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 pm

So I think the "new" rear end might have a bad bearing in it... Mad

Seems to make a howling groaning sound around 25-35 MPH that does not change with applying the brakes, just changes pitch with speed. It's the loudest about a second after I let off the gas and slow down around 30.
I'm not surprised since the axle's used and from a salvage yard originally, so whatever I guess.

It never ends... Surprised
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 12:31 am

That sucks! It came out looking great and seemed to work fine too.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 am

Yeah, but whatever, I'm glad it went as well as it did. I have to look into it more, might be something else but it sounds like bearings. It still drives nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh   I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh Empty

Back to top Go down

I blew the rear end in my Blazer this afternoon...ugh
Page 1 of 1