BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Aftermarket temp gauge issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Aftermarket temp gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 1:02 am

I have some underdash Summit Racing gauges in my car, for oil pressure and temp. The other day the temp gauge just stopped working, however it seems that if you fiddle with it, it will work for a bit then stop again. It's kind of working intermittently on it's own like something's loose. I think I did gently brush the wiring on the back with my hand before this started happening when I was messing with something else on my dash. Always worked fine before this! There is a decent amount of slack in the wire and it's all bunched up/tie-wrapped behind the gauge.

Obviously something must be loose, but does anyone know how these work? The gauges were in the car when I got it and while I figured it was probably a loose ground, I'm hearing now that the wire that runs from the engine block to the gauge actually has pressurized gas or ether in it? How do I tell if it's a mechanical or electrical gauge? Someone told me a mechanical one will have a copper tube, while electrical is a wire...my gauge has one wire going into the back that's a little bit thick, maybe 1/8", but seems thin to be containing a gas or anything copper tube like.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 am

Pretty sure all the Summit branded gauges were electrical.

A mechanical temp gauge will have a thick, metal, corrogated tube going to it. It'll look kind of like a metal version of split-loom. I doubt that's what you have.

Stick your head behind there and re-tighten the sender wire. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Pretty sure all the Summit branded gauges were electrical.

A mechanical temp gauge will have a thick, metal, corrogated tube going to it. It'll look kind of like a metal version of split-loom. I doubt that's what you have.

Stick your head behind there and re-tighten the sender wire. Wink

Thanks dude I'm going to mess with that today then. It definitely doesn't have a big corrugated tube going into it!

I bet I knocked off a ground wire someplace
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm

It may be a ground, but I'm leaning more towards the sender wire. More than likely, the installer hooked all the grounds together, so if the other gauges and illumination still work, then the ground is probably ok. But then again... Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Fiddled with it and didn't really get anywhere...I don't know what the problem is. Wasn't expecting it to be as much of a pain to get under the dash just to look at things!

For clarification, these are the bastard gauges I'm fighting with, the oil pressure gauge works fine (it actually has an oil line running to it)

Aftermarket temp gauge issue IMG_8153

Aftermarket temp gauge issue IMG_8151

This is the sender in the head:

Aftermarket temp gauge issue IMG_8155

It's just that wire going from the sender right through the firewall and to my gauge. I still don't know if it's mechanical or analog though!

Aftermarket temp gauge issue IMG_8154

That's the "pissketti" I'm dealing with under the dash too. You can see how the slack from the temp gauge wire is all mushed up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Your oil guage is mechanical. study

That is my final answer. cheers
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm

LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:11 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Autozone sells the stuff needed to fix it. Just ask for mechanical oil guage install kit.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Autozone sells the stuff needed to fix it. Just ask for mechanical oil guage install kit.

Even though it's a temp gauge? lol

If I can get a kit I'll do it, I don't want to bother doing all the gauges, although Summit has a special, 19.50 for all three gauges and a pod right now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Even though it's a temp gauge? lol

If I can get a kit I'll do it, I don't want to bother doing all the gauges, although Summit has a special, 19.50 for all three gauges and a pod right now
I am sorry, I was talking about the oil guage. I guess I can't read. scratch study

I would buy the kit from summit, which should give a volts guage too. I think the repair kit from autozone is $10, so $20 for everything is a steal. cheers
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 pm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2953/?image=large

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Yup.. Dat's a mechanical gauge. I don't think you can repair them, can you? I thought you had to keep the wire as all one piece attached to the gauge?

Yeah, get a new set of Summit gauges for cheap with a volt gauge, too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:42 pm

That kit comes with an ammeter gauge, aren't those basically useless? I remember they were put in all the old cars but required a real strong circuit because the flow of electricity actually went through the gauge...you see a lot of old Mopars with melted gauges that have been bypassed... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Aftermarket temp gauge issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket temp gauge issue
Page 1 of 1