BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 59 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm
Latest topics
» New (to me) RMS
Yesterday at 12:49 pm by MASShole9C1

» Jerry's sequentials group purchase
Yesterday at 9:36 am by MASShole9C1

» CraigsList car finder
Yesterday at 4:32 am by Pooge

» Feeler- Looking for Steelies with Dog Dish nubs
Yesterday at 4:31 am by Cadet57

» Summit SUM-G9001 Headers, Mods needed?
Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm by 1984twodoor

» 5 Ultra low mileage multec injectors
Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am by miniz33

» WTB 91-96 B body, NOT looking for someone to check Craigslist.
Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:47 pm by 1984twodoor

» Some more goodies for sale
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:22 am by Cadet57

» Bumper Guards: 2, Shitty Drivers: 0
Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:24 pm by MASShole9C1

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930    
CalendarCalendar
Share | 
 

 Aftermarket temp gauge issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I have some underdash Summit Racing gauges in my car, for oil pressure and temp. The other day the temp gauge just stopped working, however it seems that if you fiddle with it, it will work for a bit then stop again. It's kind of working intermittently on it's own like something's loose. I think I did gently brush the wiring on the back with my hand before this started happening when I was messing with something else on my dash. Always worked fine before this! There is a decent amount of slack in the wire and it's all bunched up/tie-wrapped behind the gauge.

Obviously something must be loose, but does anyone know how these work? The gauges were in the car when I got it and while I figured it was probably a loose ground, I'm hearing now that the wire that runs from the engine block to the gauge actually has pressurized gas or ether in it? How do I tell if it's a mechanical or electrical gauge? Someone told me a mechanical one will have a copper tube, while electrical is a wire...my gauge has one wire going into the back that's a little bit thick, maybe 1/8", but seems thin to be containing a gas or anything copper tube like.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President


Posts: 6486
Join date: 2009-01-20
Age: 37
Location: East Hampstead, NH USA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:07 am

Pretty sure all the Summit branded gauges were electrical.

A mechanical temp gauge will have a thick, metal, corrogated tube going to it. It'll look kind of like a metal version of split-loom. I doubt that's what you have.

Stick your head behind there and re-tighten the sender wire. Wink

_________________
Bill "The Verb" Crovo - Resident Car Slut

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Pretty sure all the Summit branded gauges were electrical.

A mechanical temp gauge will have a thick, metal, corrogated tube going to it. It'll look kind of like a metal version of split-loom. I doubt that's what you have.

Stick your head behind there and re-tighten the sender wire. Wink

Thanks dude I'm going to mess with that today then. It definitely doesn't have a big corrugated tube going into it!

I bet I knocked off a ground wire someplace
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President


Posts: 6486
Join date: 2009-01-20
Age: 37
Location: East Hampstead, NH USA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 am

It may be a ground, but I'm leaning more towards the sender wire. More than likely, the installer hooked all the grounds together, so if the other gauges and illumination still work, then the ground is probably ok. But then again... Wink

_________________
Bill "The Verb" Crovo - Resident Car Slut

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Fiddled with it and didn't really get anywhere...I don't know what the problem is. Wasn't expecting it to be as much of a pain to get under the dash just to look at things!

For clarification, these are the bastard gauges I'm fighting with, the oil pressure gauge works fine (it actually has an oil line running to it)





This is the sender in the head:



It's just that wire going from the sender right through the firewall and to my gauge. I still don't know if it's mechanical or analog though!



That's the "pissketti" I'm dealing with under the dash too. You can see how the slack from the temp gauge wire is all mushed up.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Your oil guage is mechanical. study

That is my final answer. cheers
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Autozone sells the stuff needed to fix it. Just ask for mechanical oil guage install kit.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:03 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Autozone sells the stuff needed to fix it. Just ask for mechanical oil guage install kit.

Even though it's a temp gauge? lol

If I can get a kit I'll do it, I don't want to bother doing all the gauges, although Summit has a special, 19.50 for all three gauges and a pod right now
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:48 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL

Seems that this actually is a mechanical gauge...wanh wah. I'm going to see if I can straighten out the sender, if I can't, I'll see if I can get a new sender only, if I can't...I'll either leave the dead gauge there and be mad about it for a few years, or just replace both of them with electrical ones... Laughing
Autozone sells the stuff needed to fix it. Just ask for mechanical oil guage install kit.

Even though it's a temp gauge? lol

If I can get a kit I'll do it, I don't want to bother doing all the gauges, although Summit has a special, 19.50 for all three gauges and a pod right now
I am sorry, I was talking about the oil guage. I guess I can't read. scratch study

I would buy the kit from summit, which should give a volts guage too. I think the repair kit from autozone is $10, so $20 for everything is a steal. cheers
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2953/?image=large

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President


Posts: 6486
Join date: 2009-01-20
Age: 37
Location: East Hampstead, NH USA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Yup.. Dat's a mechanical gauge. I don't think you can repair them, can you? I thought you had to keep the wire as all one piece attached to the gauge?

Yeah, get a new set of Summit gauges for cheap with a volt gauge, too. Smile

_________________
Bill "The Verb" Crovo - Resident Car Slut

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker



Posts: 4618
Join date: 2009-07-30
Age: 32
Location: Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket temp gauge issue   Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm

That kit comes with an ammeter gauge, aren't those basically useless? I remember they were put in all the old cars but required a real strong circuit because the flow of electricity actually went through the gauge...you see a lot of old Mopars with melted gauges that have been bypassed... Laughing
Back to top Go down
 

Aftermarket temp gauge issue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Temp Webclient
» SP3 - ISO- ACTIVATED - GENUINE | Temp-adds
» Pas Jebe Zenu Video | Temp
» ISSUE OF BONUS SHARES
» SUDOKU for all ages - issue

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-