BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...

Go down 
+4
GasTT
Pooge
onehunglo
toomanytoyz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... Empty
PostSubject: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:18 am

Ha ha! Yup! I did ANOTHER set. This was all "off the shelf" parts, too, so it's easy for anyone to accomplish. And I'm in it for less than 300 bucks. So what did I do? HID bi-xenon projectors in a smoked clear lense.

Here's the short(ish) version because it's late for me and I gotta go to bed!

So I finally broke down and got a set of the Smoked Clear lights from Jason at Street Trends because I had about 3 hours in polishing a factory lense and I was only up to 40 GRIT! I also got those "straight from China with hysterical translations" bi-xenon projector retrofit kit for 9004 bulbs offin eBay.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet001Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet004Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet005Medium
When I opened the box I was a bit disappointed because these lenses are A LOT darker in person than they look in pics. Bummer. Shoulda got clears!

Ok. On to the install. I didn't even have the box open for TEN MINUTES before I'd taken a heat gun to them to soften the sealant. TAKE YOUR TIME AND GO SLOW and they will come apart with about 10 minutes of careful work for each lense.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet021Medium
I alternated the heat gun on high and then used two screwdrivers to work my way around them until I could pull them apart.

Here's a shot of the back side of the projector. These are designed as a DIRECT replacement for the 9004 bulbs! How frikken cool is THAT? It doesn't get ANY easier than this!
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet007Medium

Here it is in the bucket.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet008Medium

The bore on the projector matches the hole perfectly. It's even marked "top" so you can't screw it up. And there is a spacer with cut-outs to exactly match the factory nubs and valleys to secure it sturdily. (yeah, I said that)
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet013Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet014Medium

It's in the hole!
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet011Medium

Thse things have angel eyes too, so you need to pass the wires for them through the bucket. There was already a small hole drilled in them (and taped over) so I just opened it up with a 5/16" bit and passed them through. I had to pull the pins out of the connnector so the wires'd go through and then reinstall them, no biggie.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet015Medium

And that's it! Test fit!
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet018Medium
Dat looksa niy-eeeece!

I won't bore you with the details of installing them onto the car though, as that's pretty straightforward.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet024Medium

Wiring was easy. A positive and ground on each side, and you plug into the stock headlight socket and the ballast. I also hooked up the angel eyes to the parking lights. Here's a shot of the wiring. It fits nice behind the lights!
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet025Medium

One BIG surprise for me though was that even though those bi-xenons claimed to be HIDS, and even came with the HID bulbs (6000K, if you're interested in which color temp I chose), was that they DID NOT INCLUDE BALLASTS! WTF?!? So be aware of that. Luckily, I was already running HID's in the stock buckets already, so I just reused the ballasts for those. They appear to be universal, so you can just get a set off eBay if you don't have any.

So how do they look?
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet029Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet026Medium

I like them! They definately give the car a modern look in front!

How's the pattern, you say? Like-a diss!
Low's:
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet030Medium
High's:
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet031Medium
(I did lower them AYE LOT since that pic though, just an FYI)

So how do they perform? Really well. Leaps and bounds better than stock. The pattern is great and there is a TON more useable light and those Godawful pigtails of light are finally gone! But... I screwed up. The smoked lenses block a lot of the output. Like a REAL lot. My old HID's in the stock buckets (6000K's with the SAME ballasts, remember) threw out a lot more light. But it was all over the place and not usable. This is a lot "better" light, but there is less of it. But it is totally my fault because I took a gamble with the smoked lenses. If you want to get the highest output possible, do yourself a favor and get the clears. Even if you're like me and can't stand the look.

I dunno... I still think the smoked ones look totally bad ass, but need to decide if it's worth the aesthetics to get clears for increased output.

No, my car doesn't have cornering lights. Yes, I plan to add them in the near future!

I'll get some daytime pics tomorrow.

Anyways, that's my story for now, and I'm stickin' to it!

Now.... GO BUILD YOURS!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:21 am

Finally, a head light thread that delivers. Razz

Great job Bill. I love how they came out. Very Happy

Maybe snap a shot during the day with the lights off.
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

onehunglo

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 am

Like to see if the smoked lens' get any flashes from other cars?
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 am

Looks badass! I'd like to see the daylight pics of the smoked lenses, cause if they are hot looking I might be interested in taking that setup off your hands if you decide to go to the clears....

Doug
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Maan that looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm

How much?????
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm

No Moa wrote:
How much?????

Did you read it? Wink

LOL.

Anyways, I gotta put the brakes on these for now. It seems the projector is too close and too hot and has melted the lense a bit. Shitski. I may try drilling a couple holes to vent the heat out. Or might try baking the lenses and molding a little bump into them in front of the projector or something. Kinda sucks!

This whole thing just really bums me out because my wife bought me the lights for my birthday and I was wicked looking forward to knocking this out of the park... Sad

Here's some daylight pics:
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet032Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet033Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet034Medium

And here's a couple pics of the damage:
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet035Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet036Medium
I know it's tough to see, but I did what I could. And it WAS on Macro. Wink

Worst case is I could run my old HIDs in these buckets. Or I could really hack them up and recess the projector assembly a bit. I dunno. I'll figure something out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 pm

I was concerned about the heat a bit close to the lense. That is to bad. I would not hack them, I would put your hids back in.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 pm

That darn Jason @ Street Trends sending you damaged lenses...... silent
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 am

lol, no i didn't read it, i was to excited.... Thats to bad about the heat, if anyone can find away you can!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Attempt Numbah TWO!   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok, so I decided to cut apart some factory lights for my experiments. Wink I took a 2 1/4" hole saw to one to see what would happen.

The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet049Medium
Believe it or not, it made a 2 1/4" hole. Wink

I also drilled another hole for the angel eye wires.
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet052Medium

This could work!
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet050Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet051Medium

A lil glue...
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet055Medium

And a quickie bracket...
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet058Medium

It looked so good, I duplicated it for the other side! It ended up recessing the light about an inch. I also lost my super-easy "it's in the right spot-o-meter" since I cut that hole. I got it close, angles are important here, both left/right and up/down. When installed, they didn't look as close as they did on the bench. We'll see when it gets dark...

The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet059Medium
The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... YesAnotherSet060Medium

If this experiment works, then I may do this again on the buckets that came with the lenses. Smile (I wish I hadn't glued that one side, I didn't glue the other, just in case! See what happens when you're in a rush?!?!?!?)

Wish me luck!

Oh, and FYI... The smoked lenses didn't quite fit on the factory buckets. *sigh* Oh well. They were close though!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Looking good as usual. You and Firewood are the headlight experts. cheers

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Try Mike's lenses, I read on that other forum that they fit the stock buckets. Smile

Then again I also read that they don't fit.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 am

What do you think about these? I'm just lookin for a plug & play, I think they'll work.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Tomz9C1 wrote:
What do you think about these? I'm just lookin for a plug & play, I think they'll work.

Uhm... Did you forget to post a link?

Otherwise, I think these suck. Don't do it. HID's in the stock buckets was far superior. And cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 7:50 pm

OOPPS! What was I thinkin? Heres the link! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-1995-1996-CHEVY-IMPALA-9004-BI-XENON-HID-KIT-95-96_W0QQitemZ350237366918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518bc61a86&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Do these suck? Should I buy them? lol.
Edit: I just saw the shipping, $29.95 for ground, a bit high isn't it?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Tomz9C1 wrote:
OOPPS! What was I thinkin? Heres the link! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-1995-1996-CHEVY-IMPALA-9004-BI-XENON-HID-KIT-95-96_W0QQitemZ350237366918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518bc61a86&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Do these suck? Should I buy them? lol.
Edit: I just saw the shipping, $29.95 for ground, a bit high isn't it?

That's how some of those sellers make their money. ALWAYS check shipping before you bid! Wink

That said, yeah. I'd run those. I'd search and see what other 9004 high/low HID kits are available on the bay though. See what offers best price and warranty. I'd also go with a 4500K or 6000K color temp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...   The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread... Empty

Back to top Go down

The "I can't believe Crovo did ANOTHER headlight thread" thread...
Page 1 of 1