BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

WTB tuner software, suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:34 pm

I've been wanting tuner software for years now and I just told myself to stop screwing around and buy it already. Before I go to Tunercat.com and buy it, any suggestions? Anything used out there for much less? Are people happy with Tunercat or are there other brands people are happier with? I am all OBDI now. My 9C1 and FWB are OBDI, my OBDII wagon just retired and I'm looking to replace it with an OBDI.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 am

You can always download tunerpro RT for free and play with that. You do need an ALDL cable however. I bought mine from Red Devil River.

http://www.tunerpro.net/

http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

Also found a walkthrough for using Tunerpro with an LT1. Not familiar with the flashing part as I was using it for TPI. But you could at least get the cable and do some datalogging to learn the program.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:29 am

As a followup, I was doing some searching on flashing my PCM and came across a couple threads of interest on the gearhead-efi forums. First link is files mostly, very hand stuff but you will need to sign up on the site to download them.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?335-16188051-and-16181333-PCM-Information-EE-EEB

EagleMark says he likes the FW VP4 tow pack bin because the trans shift calibrations are better...

Some tips on flashing http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?652-Buying-a-spare-ECM

Other info.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?655-94-Camaro-Lt1-Tunerpro-for-dummies
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Eric. You can't beat that price!

The only laptop we have in the house is a fairly new apple (1 or 2 years old). Anyone know if this will work with that? Then all I'd have to buy is a cable. Smile

Also, I have two spare PCMs but both '96s. One LT1 and one L99. Anyone know if those can be flashed and "turned into" an OBDI (to practice on)?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:50 pm

There is a mod you can do, solder a resistor or two on the circuit board (knock sensor circuit, iirc) to emulate an obd1 pcm. You'd have to search for it though, as I don't remember it. I know it can be done, though. I did it on the Fleetwood years ago.

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 pm

FUN-9C1 wrote:
Thanks Eric. You can't beat that price!

The only laptop we have in the house is a fairly new apple (1 or 2 years old). Anyone know if this will work with that? Then all I'd have to buy is a cable. Smile

Also, I have two spare PCMs but both '96s. One LT1 and one L99. Anyone know if those can be flashed and "turned into" an OBDI (to practice on)?

You can buy "parallels" which will let you run windows, or use the apple bootcamp thing which lets you install windows and boot into that. The latter is better as it's got full hardware support.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:49 pm

I have a Macbook pro, I just wiped out OSX and installed Windows 7. Don't have any use for Apple stuff but I needed a laptop at the time lol
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Well I don't want to mess with the OS on my wife's sort of new Apple laptop, but I do have a 2004 Dell desktop with XP sitting here doing nothing. Not as convenient as a laptop but I'm OK with it if that will work. Will it? I've looked at ALDL cables on ebay and I'm confused (I am extremely technologically challenged). Looks like one end would plug into the car (that part I get) but the other end looks like it would plug in where the monitor would plug in which would mean I would have no monitor. Is that because it's not a laptop? Does it HAVE to be a laptop?

I am dying to program this "new" RMW. Shift points are very not to my liking.

What I'd like to do is copy my '95 9C1 programming (done by Brian Herter way back in the day and then tweaked later by Mike454SS- great job by both- are they still around?) to my '94 RMW as a starting point. Keep the shift points and fuel table etc the same and change whatever needs to be changed, like final drive ratio, etc. Should that work?

If somebody could send an ebay link to a cable that will work with my '94 Dell with Windows XP to my OBDI (if there is such a cable) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:25 pm

FUN-9C1 wrote:
If somebody could send an ebay link to a cable that will work with my '94 Dell with Windows XP to my OBDI (if there is such a cable) that would be greatly appreciated.

I just noticed that Eric DID send a link to the cable I need! Thanks Eric!
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 pm

About the red devil cable. I was unable to get a successful link in my 95 9C1. I tested and was able to link up with my 92 OCC. Not sure if it's the car or the cable at this time, I tried with three different laptops so it's likely not the computer or software, as I tried both Winflash and Tunerpro. Would need to try it in another LT1 car to confirm.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:03 am

FUN-9C1 wrote:
Well I don't want to mess with the OS on my wife's sort of new Apple laptop, but I do have a 2004 Dell desktop with XP sitting here doing nothing. Not as convenient as a laptop but I'm OK with it if that will work. Will it? I've looked at ALDL cables on ebay and I'm confused (I am extremely technologically challenged). Looks like one end would plug into the car (that part I get) but the other end looks like it would plug in where the monitor would plug in which would mean I would have no monitor. Is that because it's not a laptop? Does it HAVE to be a laptop?

I think what you saw was a serial connector not video. Take a look again it should have 9 pins. Serial ports are far less common now. If the Dell has a serial port you can use it and that cable. I have never used the USB ALDL cables.
Back to top Go down
MikeOD

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:42 pm

FUN-9C1 wrote:
Mike454SS

I'm still alive...different screen name, and I almost never come on here though LOL.

The resistor mod Bill is talking about is a mod to an OBD1 PCM to use it in an OBD2 car...you can't make an OBD2 PCM an OBD1 PCM...you have to replace it.  It's just to correct the knock sensor signal because they're wired differently in the OBD1 and OBD2 cars.

I'd buy the Tunercat LT1 Tuning Kit.  If you want to have it work with a 94/95 B/D-body car, you need the LT1 Tune 1 kit...if you want it to work with a 96 B/D-body that's swapped to an OBD1 PCM, you need the LT1 Tune 2 (that is also used for some of the LT1 F-Bodies and Vettes)...or just buy the one that's got both so you have the option to mess with either.

Tunerpro works, but you have to buy the cable anyways, and Tunercat gives you software definition updates forever.

If you want to watch what the car is doing, you should get datamaster as well...TC sells it...it works much better than any of the free options.

http://www.tunercat.com/cables/lt1kit.html

http://www.tunercat.com/DataMaster/dmaster.html

And I wouldn't screw with an older laptop...they tend to have older batteries that suck. The USB stuff works great on newer laptops. I use a Dell with Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit...everything works great.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Hey Mike! Great to hear from you! Glad you're "still alive", oh master of the T-56 installation!

Thanks for the advice. All my big talk last October about not screwing around anymore........ and I still haven't bought piece one to do any programming... but I am getting close...

My 9C1 is still running on the programming you did all those eons ago and still runnin' like a raped ape. Nice work. Smile Got a "touch" of rot and leaks oil like a bastard, but will still light 'em up without even trying and go from 50 to 90 in about 3 seconds. I still love driving that thing...

Do you still have any tri-9 LT1s?
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:56 pm

I finally got off me arse and got a laptop and the cable. Should be here before the weekend. Now I just need to download TC and figger out how to use it!

My plan is to upgrade my RMW PCM- copy the "Brian Herter and later tweaked by MikeOD" program that will get 2nd gear rubber all day in my 9C1 into my RMW and just change what needs to be changed like gear ratio, etc.

Thanks for all the help in what I need to get in order to do it.

We'll see how it goes this weekend!
Back to top Go down
MikeOD

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Glad to hear it man...hopefully it goes/went well. It's not hard once you start looking at what the tables do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB tuner software, suggestions?   Today at 3:00 am

Back to top Go down

WTB tuner software, suggestions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1