BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 MA 9C1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
boojum



Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 29
Location : NH

PostSubject: MA 9C1   Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 pm

About 2 weeks ago at my state inspection it was pointed out to me that the water pump was leaking. About a week later it got much worse. I also sometimes had difficulty starting the car. I put a used opti jn somewhere around 60k miles ago so I thought it might be time for a new one. This weekend it got a new water pump, opti, oil change, new plugs, lube, and a new used ignition coil. I could not find a 9C1 coil so I had to use one from an Impala.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin


Posts : 1512
Join date : 2009-01-17
Age : 48

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Cool story Jim. What's an opti, and what is a 9c1 coil? Wink

_________________
2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3 Aluminum V8 (My daily)
2007 Pontiac G6 VL 2.4 I4 (Wife's Daily)
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1



Posts : 4211
Join date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Which, MSP 9C1 tho? Wink

Should've just tapped the weep hole with a zerk (sp?) fitting, drilled out the fitting, and stuck a hose on it. Let it leak all you want. Just not on the opti.

24x conversion time?
Back to top Go down
boojum



Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 29
Location : NH

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:43 pm

A 9C1 ignition coil works with the cop chip to give you the best performance gains. An opti is a general term for the components that replaced the older points ignition system. GM's opti system costs up to 25 times the cost of the old points ignition system but don't dwell on the costs, just think of it as progress.


Last edited by boojum on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
boojum



Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 29
Location : NH

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:49 pm

The same car that I had at Chris'. This pump was actually leaking at the front cover.

I think LS7s have a 58x CPS.
Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake



Posts : 79
Join date : 2009-03-03
Age : 40
Location : Derry NH

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 am

I have found that once a water pump on the LT1 starts to leak it deteriorates very rapidly.  The rear bearing on the water pump takes a beating.  One of the things that accelerates the demise is lack of use.  For those of us who park their cars for the winter you will see your water pump life drop in half.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103



Posts : 1475
Join date : 2009-01-25
Age : 21
Location : Littleton, NH & St. Simons Island, GA

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:07 pm

MancheSSterJake wrote:
For those of us who park their cars for the winter you will see your water pump life drop in half.

I have 3 LT1 cars, that are parked in the winter and probably between all of them they don't get driven 1500 miles a year. They all drip.

Tom
Back to top Go down
No Moa



Posts : 3871
Join date : 2009-02-21
Age : 44
Location : Midcoast Maine

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:35 pm

zerk fitting in the top of the opti, why am I always the last to know this sh!t
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
sdstick



Posts : 4278
Join date : 2009-03-20
Location : Revere, MA

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:30 pm

No Moa wrote:
zerk fitting in the top of the opti, why am I always the last to know this sh!t

Doesnt matter WHEN you know...you dont have time to do it anyway

Find time for that ^^^ tho...noticable change in performance.. Arrow

_________________
Steve


96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:34 pm

boojum wrote:
A 9C1 ignition coil works with the cop chip to give you the best performance gains. An opti is a general term for the components that replaced the older points ignition system. GM's opti system costs up to 25 times the cost of the old points ignition system but don't dwell on the costs, just think of it as progress.

Surprised face palm


Have you ever thought about doing standup?
Back to top Go down
No Moa



Posts : 3871
Join date : 2009-02-21
Age : 44
Location : Midcoast Maine

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 pm

sdstick wrote:
No Moa wrote:
zerk fitting in the top of the opti, why am I always the last to know this sh!t

Doesnt matter WHEN you know...you dont have time to do it anyway

Find time for that ^^^ tho...noticable change in performance.. Arrow

Blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
boojum



Posts : 2152
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 29
Location : NH

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:54 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
boojum wrote:
A 9C1 ignition coil works with the cop chip to give you the best performance gains. An opti is a general term for the components that replaced the older points ignition system. GM's opti system costs up to 25 times the cost of the old points ignition system but don't dwell on the costs, just think of it as progress.

Surprised face palm


Have you ever thought about doing standup?


I would need a better angle. At least here we have two or three carburetor guys that might get my jokes. Ultimately it's a matter of timing and the being in the right place. Hopefully I have made these points clear, it's not my intent to spark a debate of the old and new designs.

oh and before I forget, if you have '93 or '94 F-body you put a hole in the opti itself but that's a topic for another forum.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:47 pm

boojum wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
boojum wrote:
A 9C1 ignition coil works with the cop chip to give you the best performance gains. An opti is a general term for the components that replaced the older points ignition system. GM's opti system costs up to 25 times the cost of the old points ignition system but don't dwell on the costs, just think of it as progress.

Surprised face palm


Have you ever thought about doing standup?


I would need a better angle. At least here we have two or three carburetor guys that might get my jokes. Ultimately it's a matter of timing and the being in the right place. Hopefully I have made these points clear, it's not my intent to spark a debate of the old and new designs.

oh and before I forget, if you have '93 or '94 F-body you put a hole in the opti itself but that's a topic for another forum.


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: MA 9C1   Today at 8:04 pm

Back to top Go down
 
MA 9C1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-
Jump to: