BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

eBay Stainless headers anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
M.bianchini

PostSubject: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 am

Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone here has installed any of the $200 stainless long tubes from eBay? Right now I have the crappy Hooker shorty super competition headers that that I bought (at the suggestion of a Jegs sales rep) four years ago, before I understood how to research applicable content from sources such as this one where experienced people could educate me instead of Jegs and Summit selling me California emissions legal products when I don't live in California. I know that Summit has a set that will fit and there are the Flowtech Afterburners as well, I am not willing to spend the money on $1,500 Tri-y's so that's out. I understand that I may have to dimple the headers (will the dimple be far enough away to have no impact on back pressure?) or alter the crossmember of the frame to make this happen and that's fine. I want stainless because they don't rot as quickly and I don't have access to a kiln to bake ceramic paint on to steel headers and, header tape causes accelerated corrosion on steel headers. Any factual suggestions will be much appreciated, Thank You! scratch
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Typically the "eBay" headers are decent quality. Welds are almost too perfect, and the flanges are very thick. Real nice. However, a couple things.

The stainless is typically cheaper, as don't expect that nice shiny finish to last. Typically they turn blue then black. Either keep up on it, or paint them with header paint or get them coated.

Also, I've never encountered this issue with the headers I've had, but have heard stories of the flanges not being quite true where the meet the head. Just check them over with a straight-edge when you get them, a machine shop can plane the flanges if needed, there's plenty of meat on them.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 am

Never used them (I went afterburners on my sons car before he owned it)
I'd be interested to hear how you make out...good luck
Headers can be a PIA but it sure beats the broken bolt exhaust leak
I'm about to fight that battle now with my wagon

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
M.bianchini

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:21 am

Thank you guys for the support and, I'll update when possible. I'm just starting to order parts now so, it'll be a while before I get anything done. My car is under a foot or two of snow and I get the feeling that it will be for a while but, I'll keep posting. Eric, you don't live far from me and you had mentioned having them coated. Do you know where I can go to have this done? I understand that curing them on the car doesn't work well? I went to Lou's in Manchester and
I didn't get any useful suggestions. Also, do you know a reasonably priced shop that could properly replace my front main seal? It's been done twice now and, nobody can seam to get it right.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:31 pm

Well, depends on your budget. I had Lou's ceramic coat my headers, and I wasn't pleased with the results. Lou's also doesn't do the coating, they ship the headers off to a shop to do them. So you could just cut out the middle man and get some quotes from local powdercoating shops. Also get a quote from Jet-Hot, very good reputation and warranty.

Of course, if you're on a tighter budget and not worried about underhood temps, just buy a can of VHT header paint for $8.

I can't really recommend a good shop, I usually do all my own work. I know we have a few mechanics on here, maybe one of them can help you out at a reasonable rate....
Back to top Go down
M.bianchini

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:54 pm

So, is it a bad ideation to use the VHT ceramic paint then use header tape on the eBay stainless headers?
Back to top Go down
M.bianchini

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Lol, *idea was what I wanted to say.
Back to top Go down
M.bianchini

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:59 am

So, I ended up getting the Summit 9001 headers and bringing them out to a one man show called Suncook river powder coating in Bow NH. to get them done and I should have them back next week. I just decided to get the Summit headers because of all of the available information on that particular install.

I just got my PCM back from PCMforless and deleted the smog pump and EGR valve. I got the block off plates from eBay and now... I want a new steering wheel. I'm just stumped on this because I don't want to dump a bunch of money on this and I want the flat bottom F1 wheel and they are around $50 on eBay. Thing is, I don't know if I'd need a adaptor? Any suggestions gentlemen? Please...
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Here's my .02 on a steering wheel. I wanted a larger, thinner steering wheel, with finger grooves on the back side.

Since my '96 has/had an airbag, I messaged a few places, and even classic industries. They're not allowed legally to say that certain non airbag steering wheels fit on airbag equipped vehicles (for obvious reasons).

Long story short, I HATE how an adapter looks for an aftermarket wheel. It's cheesy and obvious it doesn't belong. So, I went with an 80s Caprice steering wheel that closely matched my '96's blue interior. You COULD always SEM the ugly adapter to match your interior color.

With that said, typically any aftermarket steering wheel/adapter combo that is advertised to fit one of those box bodies, I believe even G bodies, will fit our round bodies. They use the same Saginaw column. I had a hole drilled in the hub area just to slip the air bag connector and secure it under the horn pad, as opposed to snaking it back down the column.
Back to top Go down
M.bianchini

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Thank you for the input Brian. The idea for me though is that I don't like the large steering wheel and am seeking to replace it with a smaller Formula One style wheel. The other car that I drive is an Infiniti G35x and, I like the ergonomic design of that wheel much better. I also don't like the circumference of my current wheel. I don't mind the idea of it, and the adaptor looking like they don't belong there, I care about how cumbersome the wheel is, and after all, it is after market.
I have found a few wheels that I like on eBay and I don't want to find out the hard way that they don't fit and have to pay a restocking fee and shipping. I'm thinking that I want a black quick release hub and a new F1 wheel but, I don't see a lot in the way of explanation or direction. All I seam to see is "6 hole" "Universal" and "spline drive". Thing is, I don't know what I have and, I don't really understand what it all means? Any input is appreciated, Thank You!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eBay Stainless headers anyone?   Today at 5:12 pm

Back to top Go down

eBay Stainless headers anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1