BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.

Go down 
+5
MASShole9C1
Pooge
Matt Trakker
MalibuSSwagon
YachtDriver
9 posters
AuthorMessage
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Empty
PostSubject: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Earlier this summer the original Stock Optispark failed in the SS Wagon heading home from Bill's mod day. So I decided I wanted something more reliable and maybe a bit better.

After some consideration I went with the Bailey LTCC conversion. The only negative being you keep the Optispark but you only use the Optical portion and you are bypassing the cap and rotor which is what failed on me. I also didn't want to tackle the replacement of the stock computer timing gear and wiring harness changes that come with the 24X conversion. I may still consider this in the future maybe for another project yet to be named but the LTCC is a very nice product and so far I am happy with it.

The original plan was to have this work completed before Wagonfest NY but as these things go I ordered my LTCC box in between batches and it was delayed over a month.

In the short term I replaced the original Optispark with a NOS one along with a new ignition module and Coil I had in my hoard. I didn't want the car down while I waited for all the parts to come in for the LTCC conversion.

With help from JaySS (Thank you Jason!) we finished the LTCC install this past weekend. This was after the module arrived and we had time to complete the work. The LS coils and bracket were installed before wagonfest NY.

Since the conversion the car starts faster (Shorter crank time) and it runs much smoother especially at highway speeds. Throttle response has also been improved. I am quite impressed with this conversion so far.

The only problem encountered so far was the #1 spark plug wire. The car has first generation Tri-Y headers and they are difficult to work with. In it's original configuration the wire was too close to the header. The plug boot ended up touching the header once it warmed up and of course it melted. Luckily we had some wire left and were able to make a new wire with a different route.

The shopping list.
1. LTCC module. Made and developed by Bailey engineering. http://www.bailey-eng.com/
   (I would suggest emailing them to see if they are in stock. Bob is very quick to respond to questions and he also certified this configuration for me.)
2. COILS The recommended coils are what I went with. I ordered them new from ebay. GM Part number 12573190.
   The auction I purchased them through is still running.   http://r.ebay.com/4mLnFG
3. Coil brackets and mounting bolts. There are several options.
   I went with EFI connection. http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=1340
4. 2 Factory LS Coil wire harnesses. ACDelco 357A GM Ignition Coil Wire. GM Part number 12579355. They are the same for both left and right.
   Purchased through Amazon
5. Plug Wires. I went with Taylor 409 wires.
   We started with this set and had to cut them apart to fit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-79226/overview/year/1996/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

And now for some pictures!

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. 20140923_090135_zps46a2592d

The black box in the RAISS is the LTCC box. We placed the box inside the air intake so it was away from heat and vibration.

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. 20140923_090040_zpsba63f6f6

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. 20140923_090155_zps6e445aac

In the following photo you can see where the ignition module and coil were against the aluminum head. Now they are gone and only the wiring harness grounds are left.

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. 20140923_090052_zps30a34fb2
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Nice work Doug, looks great.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Doug, I noticed that the other night and wasn't sure if you had done that before or after Billy's house. That's pretty damned cool and just another interesting mod done to that car...nice!
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 9:20 pm

This is probably my favorite mod to the LT1 cars. Not because it works better, but because it looks more modern and heavily badass.

Nice work man, looks good!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 pm

***drool***
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Looks good Doug!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks alot...another thing on my want list now...damn you.. Razz
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:00 am

sdstick wrote:
Thanks alot...another thing on my want list now...damn you.. Razz

Come on, like you don't have one somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks gents.

So far I feel that it has been a worthwhile project. The car starts faster and it runs smoother.

It also got rid of most of the highway chuggle that these cars all seem to have.

I will report more as the miles stack up. I am just over 150 miles on this conversion so far.

Now I have to change out the water pump that has decided to start leaking out it's weep hole.

-D
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 am

YachtDriver wrote:

Now I have to change out the water pump that has decided to start leaking out it's weep hole.

-D

Dont get the opti wet...oh..wait...nvm

Ya, I know, but .... Surprised ... Smile
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:12 am

Nice upgrade! cheers

Have know about him for years, he has been working with turbo Buicks, for years.

Saving up for his newest Buick upgrade now. Upgraded coil, and ignition module with built in rev-limiter:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/tr6/

Nothing but quality stuff from him. Cool
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:20 am

Paid celebrity endoser right there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.   Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion. Empty

Back to top Go down

Bailey LTCC coil on plug conversion.
Page 1 of 1