BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Let's talk low oil pressure

Go down 
+6
95brmw
toomanytoyz
V8Killer
Matt Trakker
IMPALADAKID
Cadet57
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Let's talk low oil pressure  Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 2:32 pm

So my intake was indeed leaking again. Buttoned that up yesterday and I'm nice and dry again. I also changed my oil. Using the same 5w I've always used with the exception of a new brand of filter. Last night once the car is at temp, the oil pressure drops like a rock at idle. I highly doubt a new brand of filter did this but is it possible?
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 2:57 pm

I would check the wire to the gauge sending unit.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Would that cause it to stall?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I want to say that this could be related. There is something in the distributor area, oil pressure switch, that I believe leads to fuel cutting off because the computer senses no oil pressure...with TBI. I forget how it all works. There are two oil pressure sensors, senders. The gauge and then one that tells the computer you have oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
So my intake was indeed leaking again. Buttoned that up yesterday and I'm nice and dry again. I also changed my oil. Using the same 5w I've always used with the exception of a new brand of filter. Last night once the car is at temp, the oil pressure drops like a rock at idle. I highly doubt a new brand of filter did this but is it possible?

Only way to know for sure what the oil pressure "really is", is to hook up an actual mechanical gauge.

In a pinch I bought a cheap auto-zone/pep-boys gauge and hooked it up under the hood. The ones with the plastic tubes bend easy enough that you can even prop it under the back edge of the hood (to watch it from inside).

I'd start there, before chasing something.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Let's talk low oil pressure  He's+right+you+know
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 pm

I was gonna say it, but Al did already. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I have a mechanical gauge in my 9C1 and can tell you the filter does matter. When hot I got around 5psi lower pressure with a garbage Fram filter in there. I usually use Napa gold or Delcos.
Aside from that, the TBI oil pressure senders are trash and do fail. My old OCC as well as lynol's would either peg at no pressure or off the charts with too much.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 am

95brmw wrote:
I have a mechanical gauge in my 9C1 and can tell you the filter does matter.  When hot I got around 5psi lower pressure with a garbage Fram filter in there.  I usually use Napa gold or Delcos.

The weird part was I was running a Fram filter. (All wally world had the night before Mod Day) but I swapped in a Bosch pro. Thats why I was so shocked I ran into trouble.

I'm going to get under the car on Tuesday and check the sender wiring. I may have bumped it when I put the new filter in, who knows. The sender only has about 2k on it I really dont think it went bad, unless it finally got damaged from the heat, but I've driven the car longer and harder before with no problems.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 am

Oil pressure sender is on the back of the block....
Oil low LEVEL sender is on the side of the oil pan. You can put a TEE at the back of the block and run the sender AND a mechanical gauge together. Thread size is 1/8" I believe.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I want to say that this could be related.  There is something in the distributor area, oil pressure switch, that I believe leads to fuel cutting off because the computer senses no oil pressure...with TBI. I forget how it all works.  There are two oil pressure sensors, senders.  The gauge and then one that tells the computer you have oil pressure.

To piggyback. I believe this is the same reason that a bad ICM will cut fuel. I think its a failsafe thats built into the pcm.

Still need to get underneath to check the wiring, but I think I might throw in a new Delco filter too, just to rule it out for sure. I highly doubt it's the filter. But god knows I've had stupider shit happen on these cars.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 8:37 pm

I had this discussion with Jay at the cruise night regarding the oil pressure switch. It was there because the early 80s fuel pump relays were unreliable and if the relay failed the pressure switch would bridge power to the pump as long as it saw more than 3-4 Psi of oil pressure. The ecm is not aware of oil pressure, not even on the newer ls engines. Check a wiring diagram, there is no oil sender that ties to the computer
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Whether it was the ECM or what I never knew, I just knew there was some sort of fail safe that tied the ICM and the Oil pressure to the fuel system.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Ok, so updates.

Swapped in a new Delco filter. No change, so we can rule out the filter. Also checked wiring, nothing out of sync there.

Also noticed that in addition to dropping at idle when hot, it also drops really fast and picks back up when I brake/downshift. It's also fluctuating from 15-20 (normal) when moving back up to 60 (pegged) then back down. At this point I'm starting to suspect a bad sender so I'm going to swap a new one in. It was just a hell of a coincidence that it went after an oil change I guess. I'm also wondering if I should just make the jump to a thicker oil, like 10-30.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm pretty sure you can run 5w/10w in that engine...although 5w was preferred for winter months to get things flowing on cold starts.

A lot of guys out there are running stuff like Rotella and Delo in their engines for it's detergent and possibly zinc content...but I'd do some googling on that one personally and see what you find.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can run 5w/10w in that engine...although 5w was preferred for winter months to get things flowing on cold starts.  

A lot of guys out there are running stuff like Rotella and Delo in their engines for it's detergent and possibly zinc content...but I'd do some googling on that one personally and see what you find.

Well it's an April-November ride so no cold starts.

Something I was just thinking. If the idle is low, would that cause a pressure drop? I just realized I never timed it post intake, just dropped the dizzy back in where it was and went with it.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm

You should set the initial timing, that is important.

I run rotella in my truck because I'm paranoid about wiping out my flat tappet RV cam I put in a few years ago. Price wise it's about the same.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Timing was pretty close to where I needed, pulled it up a couple degrees, but it didn't make a change. However, one thing I did notice was that the pressure drops in drive, when it was at temperature in park while we were timing it it didn't move. So now I'm really lost. I'm going to try a new sender next.

Another thing I'm reading is bad cam bearings. Wouldn't that be wicked noticeable and not just present itself post oil change/ intake job?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

V8Killer wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Only way to know for sure what the oil pressure "really is", is to hook up an actual mechanical gauge.

In a pinch I bought a cheap auto-zone/pep-boys gauge and hooked it up under the hood. The ones with the plastic tubes bend easy enough that you can even prop it under the back edge of the hood (to watch it from inside).

I'd start there, before chasing something.

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Let's talk low oil pressure  He's+right+you+know

toomanytoyz wrote:
I was gonna say it, but Al did already. Wink

Justin????...you there????....maybe you already read the answer ^^^^^ & forgot????
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 10:19 am

I ordered a mechanical gauge from summit. Should have it Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Ok bringing this back up because I still have issues. Wondering if I may have actually blowed something up.

Oil pressure is about 15-20psi at idle and drive if the cheapo gauge is to be correct. Put in the new pressure sender it runs "better" but not great. Put the timing light back on it, now it doesn't display the advance. Wondering if theres a bad ignition component now? Maybe ESC module?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Welp, I'm pretty sure I have an anchor under the hood. Now the mech gauge drops at idle when at temp. There is also a distinct metal on metal noise from the bottom of the motor on start up. Goodbye bottom end.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 pm

You should unload it and buy my SS. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 7:47 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:

But dat wagon doe. Laughing
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

But dat wagon doe. Laughing
Let's talk low oil pressure  D_7416
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Womp womp womp.......... pale
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 pm

So now I'm really stumped. Rolling Eyes Surprised

No more noise from the motor that would indicate damage. But still no advance on the timing light. At the suggestion of a few members here at at WF they told me to try a new dizzy/ICM. Got a reman from Rock, going to try that this weekend. If not, it'll be a long winter motor wise....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk low oil pressure    Let's talk low oil pressure  Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's talk low oil pressure
Page 1 of 1