BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» Charcoal gray Bonneville seats
Yesterday at 7:14 pm by Matt Trakker

» Tee shirts and shit for the roundup?
Yesterday at 9:24 am by MalibuSSwagon

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 am by silverfox103

» 95 9C1
Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm by Matt Trakker

» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:07 pm by MASShole9C1

» For all B-bodies
Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am by sdstick

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Top Speed Limiter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lvd2340

PostSubject: Top Speed Limiter   Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 am

Looking for a quick way around the top speed limiter in my 94 Roadmaster wagon and i'm trying to get it done before Wednesday. We installed new gears in it but at the drags it's hitting the speed limiter well before the finish line. I have someone who can put a custom tune in it but he won't be able to get to it as soon i as i need him to. I know a hand held programmer like Hypertech would let me change the gear ratio if i can find one reasonable in the mean time but i also wonder if could install a PCM out of an Impala SS or a Camaro/Firebird of the same year? These cars should have a much higher speed limiter programmed into them.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sat May 10, 2014 11:49 am

lvd2340 wrote:
Looking for a quick way around the top speed limiter in my 94 Roadmaster wagon and i'm trying to get it done before Wednesday. We installed new gears in it but at the drags it's hitting the speed limiter well before the finish line. I have someone who can put a custom tune in it but he won't be able to get to it as soon i as i need him to. I know a hand held programmer like Hypertech would let me change the gear ratio if i can find one reasonable in the mean time but i also wonder if could install a PCM out of an Impala SS or a Camaro/Firebird of the same year? These cars should have a much higher speed limiter programmed into them.
There are a couple guys who may be able to help you out depending on where you are located, but I will let them chime in.
I am fairly sure all 94-97 PCMs for B, D, F and Y-body are the same. It is the tune within, that differs. I would not try to run an f or y-body tune on a b-body, but you should be able to have any similar pcm programmed to b-body specs.
If you send it out you have PCMPerformance.com, or PCMsforless.com I have used the first with great results, and many have used both with great results. GL

2007 Pontiac G6 VL 2.4 I4 (Wife's Daily)
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 10:09 am

The only one with a higher speed limiter is a 9C1 PCM, I don't think the SS got a higher limiter. While you could run an F-body one, the tune will be different as F-body LT1s have aluminum heads, maybe some other things as well. Where are you located? Some members here can do 94/95 tuning with their laptops.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 10:36 am

95brmw wrote:
The only one with a higher speed limiter is a 9C1 PCM, I don't think the SS got a higher limiter.  While you could run an F-body one, the tune will be different as F-body LT1s have aluminum heads, maybe some other things as well.  Where are you located?  Some members here can do 94/95 tuning with their laptops.

The SS is a little higher than the 9c1s IIRC, it's due to the tire ratings at the time the cars were made. I think there were 2 tire sizes on the 9c1 and depending on what size it was built with, that 9c1 got a limiter in the 140s. The skinnier tires were a little less. The SS was over 150MPH because of the V-rated tires, lol.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 11:18 am

Speed limiters.

All standard b and d bodys= 108 mph

9c1 with 225 75 tires= 130 mph

9c1 with 235 70 tires= 143 mph

Impala SS= 154 mph

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Speed limiters.

All standard b and d bodys= 108 mph

9c1 with 225 75 tires= 130 mph

9c1 with 235 70 tires= 143 mph

Impala SS= 154 mph

Haha, where is that info from Billy?
Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I have seen an Impala SS do 140 so his numbers are probably correct. Oklahoma highways are very flat and very straight.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Heh.

Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Sun May 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Heh.

An impala ss with a hood ornament? It had headers. If it did not have 3.08 out back it would not get up to max speed limiter. Like 3.55, or 3.73. And it did not hit a limiter or it would have stumbled, and dropped 1 MPH. I think that was a 9c1 with the limiter removed via program.
As for the police chase. If memory serves me correct, the helicopter was maxed out at 135 mph, or 140 ish, and the impala was pulling away from it.

The numbers I posted were based on factory set speed limiters on stock cars with no modifications of any type. Mods, age, car condition play a factor, as does a second person in the passengers seat.

Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 am

The police chase was in a stolen unmodified Impala SS.  I was living in Oklahoma when that happened and some of the follow up news stories centered around how that car could out perform the Crown VIc's that were chasing it.  They also did a story about putting governors in cars to prevent them from going above 85, since no US speed limit at that time was higher than 75.

That police chase was what turned me on to the SS.

The other car was obviously modified.  The radio plate does say Impala SS.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

I didn't notice that hood ornament at first, it still is hard to see and might be a prismatic reflection off something on the windshield. That is an old video- Montana had the whole "Reasonable and Prudent" daytime speed limits before the federal 55 MPH limit went into effect. When that was repealed in the mid 1990s, they went back to the old law (when this video was taken). After several years, that was further repealed because officers apparently had too much leeway in issuing you a ticket on what they thought was reasonable and prudent, vs. what you did. I believe that law was changed before 2000, I remember reading about it in car magazines.

Steve, that's pretty funny that you lived out there when that happened. What year was that roughly? Your comment is why I posted that clip, lol. I used to love watching that clip on those "World's Scariest Police Chases" type shows.

Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 pm

I was in Oklahoma from 1994 to Aug of 2001. That police chase video is from Jan 2001.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Ya learn something every day, funny the SS got a higher rating than the 9C1s.
Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Tue May 13, 2014 7:20 am

Not to pick a fight with the 9C1 boys, but the Impala is a Super Sport.  It was not some clever naming scheme, although it did not follow the heritage of the SS's from the 60 which almost always had larger displacement, even though non SS cars of the 60 could usually be ordered with the SS engine.

I have read on-line where people describe the SS as a "lower level" model from the Caprice.  That made me laugh.

This was the first since the Monte SS of the 80's.  Quotes from GM call it the first true SS since the early 1970's.  

This car is credited in bringing back the SS name badge to GM.

It makes total sense that it was the tip of the spear.  

I enjoy watching that video and the crown vics eating dust.  It never gets old.

Last edited by MancheSSterJake on Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 pm

The limiting factor on all the cars was tires. Put ss wheels, springs, and top speed limiter on 9c1, and you have a police car capable of 154 mph.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 pm

MancheSSterJake wrote:
Not to pick a fight with the 9C1 boys, but the Impala is a Super Sport.  It was not some clever naming scheme, although it did not follow the heritage of the SS's from the 60 which almost always had larger displacement, even though non SS cars of the 60 could usually be ordered with the SS engine.

I have read on-line where people describe the SS as a "lower level" model from the Caprice. That made me laugh.

This was the first since the Monte SS of the 80's.  Quotes form GM call it the first true SS since the early 1970's.  

This car is credited in bringing back the SS name badge to GM.

It makes total sense that it was the tip of the spear.  

I enjoy watching that video and the crown vics eating dust.  It never gets old.

The impala IS the lower level car from '65 on up. Your looking at it from the wrong view....
The caprice had all the bells and whistles, better interior, more chrome and the wood inserts etc.

Some of us view all the larger "boats" as luxury and NOT sporty. Like if I wanted to go fast I would buy an A, F, or Y Body car.

I'm NOT saying impala's are junk, I'm just stating that the caprice's options were better before 94.
If they wanted to really make the 94-96 impala's a true super sport I think they should have given them the aluminum heads and other speed parts that the F and Y got.

I like low and slow.. And enjoy the roomy plush interiors over leather and floor shifters. Its all a point of view. Not everyone has the need for speed  Arrow 

Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 1:04 am

I think the limit is 149 MPH for a 9C1 with 235s. A Mass State Trooper told me they had one Trooper get one up to 150 MPH.

The 94-96 Impala is GM's version of a 9C1 clone. Smile

At this point in time I'd take any one of the three versions if it was straight and rust free.
Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 6:52 am

The Impala SS is considered one of the most collectible cars of the 90's.  The Impala SS has 4x the book value of a fully optioned Caprice.  All of the Tri-9 Impalas are more rare than the 67 GTO.

"I'm NOT saying impala's are junk, I'm just stating that the caprice's options were better before 94. "

You are probably right.  I am a tri-9 guy.  I dont know anything about prior cars.

But I will tell you that people love all kinds of cars and I cant stand those who give people crap about what their passionate about.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 pm

My SS currently has a top speed of 29 MPH...it's pretty awesome.

I like them all. Personally I love my "low-end" 74 Impala because it's devoid of excessive trim and stuff, it just has the door spear pieces.  Options tend to break.  Wink 

It's all relative. I like the classic Chevrolet passenger cars and other B-C-D bodies.  They're all the same damned thing. Both officially and colloquially, these are the last of the real "Chevys/Chevies" [sp?], save for the full size trucks and SUVs.  A "Chevy"was/is a B-body, or a truck/truck based vehicle.  A Monte Carlo is a Monte, sold "by Chevrolet"...but it's not a Chevy.  Neither is an IROC, or a Chevelle. A Corvette is not a "Chevy".  Generally you don't see someone say "Nice Chevy", at a Corvette. Hence "wicked nice Cohvette, kehd". They are "intermediates" (lol regarding the '76 Monte) and sports cars that were introduced separately and after the advent of the B-body.   This doesn't apply as much anymore since the end of whole "Full size GM era" but what I'm trying to say independent of my tangent here is they're all the same basic car underneath it all. Give me a car that isn't rotted to shit and looks cool going down the road so someone's gonna yell "Nice Chevy!" and I'm happy!

Some points to consider FWIW:

- Until 1973 you could not buy a Caprice convertible, and you could order any option you wanted on the Impala, so you'd see some truly loaded examples from the late 1960s to the mid-70s especially, Comfortron climate control, power everything, etc. At the same time you'd see Caprices built with crank windows and no air conditioning.  Even later on you might see something like a Canadian Bel Air in base trim with a bunch of power options.  Pretty crazy.  Yes, the Caprice was the new top model, but it was really in name only and mostly for filling a spot at the dealer when someone didn't want to "move up" to a LeSabre or a Delta 88.  I think the Caprice looked better so I'm sure a lot of other people felt the same when they were new.

- The Bel Air was usurped by the Impala, the Caprice came out as a result of marketing ploys when Ford started selling things like the Galaxie 500 XL, then the Lumina LTZ ultimately took the place of the Caprice and the Impala SS...we all know how that went. Laughing 

- While the Impala SS and Caprice are both Caprices technically and officially, the WX3 option does in fact add dozens of items to the B-body that were not available on other B-bodies.  While the 1970 Chevelle Malibu and the 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 454 are both Chevelles technically and officially, there are dozens of items that made an SS an "SS" at that time, and I believe the LS6 option required the SS option.

- My transmission shit itself in my car.  But, I'm going to fix it, since it's worth fixing an Impala SS.  If this happened to my white Caprice, I'd have a hard time spending the money on it even though the car was kind of nice.  
Because the DGGM says Impala SS on the side of it, and did when it was new, if I ever wanted to get rid of it and buy another random car, I could always park it at the cruise night with a sign on it.  It'll always be worth enough for me to fix unless the car itself started to rot out, a building fell on it, it was filled with Indian food and left with the windows up all summer in the middle of a parking lot at Liberty Tree Mall, etc...
We all know the little idiosyncrasies that make these things cool, but there are a ton of people out there and see "Impala SS" and you of course get the usual dude in a Tapout shirt and rippin' a butt going "Oh d000d I a'memba those cahs some kehd in my naybahood had one a dem and it had like a 454 Cohvette engine in it n'shet".  

I have always wanted an Impala SS since they were new, there are special things about them, and I didn't know you could get the LT1 in the other Caprices at the time, I doubt most people did.  But that's how I remember the cars, that's what makes me like having one, it was and is a special car in different ways. I don't think I'd pay like 10 grand for a really nice one though, I want one I can just drive and keep clean.

It drives me crazy when everyone starts pissing and moaning about this car is better because this, or that car sucks because that.  Who cares! At least we don't drive Subar00s and Audis and shit!  
Wink

That's like kids in 1991 in some pansy-ass affluent suburb in Metro West:

"Do you know who I ammmmm?  Do you know who my fahhhther is?  My black/purple/turquoise fruit boot rollerblades cost more than yours did...my Reebok pumps are better than CONS..."

Then those kids turn sixteen and get a free new car they don't care about when you have kids in Wilmington spending all their money on a nice Caprice coupe and getting T-boned by some unappreciative basket of a-holes in a Mazda playing with a smartphone, who probably still doesn't care.

I grew up in Malden with my Huffy getting stolen, not having Super Nintendo, and dog poo getting put in my backpack so I guess I'm a little sensitive and fragile.  

I just realized I didn't eat anything since 6am.  Ignore my low-blood-sugar attack.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Every time I read anything Matt Trakker writes on this forum I hear it in my head in the voice of the narrator in "The Sandlot"

LMAO!
Back to top Go down
MancheSSterJake

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I love the rant. I spent a ton of time in Malden. That is where my dad lived when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh sure forget all about B4Us and 1A2s.
I'd consider trading 2 9C1s for the DGGM with the bad tranny but no way I'd trade 4. Smile

I hope nobody takes all this too seriously. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Haha. I hope people realize 95 percent of what I do or say is to make people laugh at me.

All is well because I ate a whole box of these after not being able to find them for 20+years.  Crazy.

http://goodiesincanada.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/vachonpassionflakie.jpg

Steve, I grew up in the part of Malden near "Granada Highlands". I'm glad I grew up there because it was a great place to live when I was younger with cool things to explore, but it was also starting to go down the tubes and has since since then unfortunately...lol.  It will always be my "home" in a way though.

@ Indy :

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 8:17 pm

boojum wrote:
Oh sure forget all about B4Us and 1A2s.
I'd consider trading 2 9C1s for the DGGM with the bad tranny but no way I'd trade 4. Smile

I hope nobody takes all this too seriously. Smile

Blue tape car and the 9c6!

Yeah, same here, it's all in good fun
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 8:37 pm

I am not sure what this thread is. Is it an argument, or other. The numbers I posted are GMs, not mine. I did not pull them out of the air.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 pm

No arguments here. I DID put smileys up in there  lol Very Happy 
Can we take all these posts and move them to a Caprice vs Impala thread?

No to keep on this de-railment, but just a FYI, if I had a choice of a car from 1958-1964 I WOULD pick the Impala hands down because it was the top package model then. I love me a '58 and also a 62-64...... 59-61 ummmm no so much.  No 

Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Great rant Matt, hit some good points there.

You're lucky your SS isn't DCM or you'd have to deal with my relentless requests to trade for it  Razz 

On a side note, don't let that no 3rd or 4th gear thing stop you from enjoying it, I drove my Fleetwood in 2nd 100+ miles from NJ and then some before bothering to fix it  Smile 
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 am

I just checked my bin files. Year ,tire size if known, fuel cutoff/fuel resume

94 Impala 154/150
94 NH 9C1 225s 130/126
95 MA 9C1 235s (3 cars) 147/143
91 RS Camaro 147/143
95 Z28 T56 255/255
junkyard f-body T56 255/255
94 Z28 T56 108/107
95 Wagon 108/105

I am the second owner on the 9C1s so unless the states modified them that's the way they came from GM. On that other forum you will find at least two different numbers.

I can check the stock tire size on the 94 Z28 and the 91 RS if anyone is interested.

I'll throw in the 9C6 on the trade. Freebie!
Back to top Go down
tonyc712000

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
No arguments here. I DID put smileys up in there  lol Very Happy 
Can we take all these posts and move them to a Caprice vs Impala thread?

No to keep on this de-railment, but just a FYI, if I had a choice of a car from 1958-1964 I WOULD pick the Impala hands down because it was the top package model then. I love me a '58 and also a 62-64...... 59-61 ummmm no so much.  No 

My faves exactly! Although the 61 isn't sooo bad...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Speed Limiter   Today at 6:23 am

Back to top Go down

Top Speed Limiter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1