BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cloud 9

PostSubject: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 pm

So, the story goes....when I did the disc brake conversion I replaced the 80w-90 gear oil with ac delco synthetic lube.... Now during launch only the passenger tire will light up. I have been doing some research online and popular verdict is that you should NOT use synthetic lube in a limited slip posi rear. So I am pulling the cover to drain it out. I was curious , can I use brake clean or carb clean to degrease the gears and the posi? Will it hurt anything? And I have found some of the real ac delco 80w-90 and 2 jars of limited slip additive to replace it with. I just want my launch back Mad
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:48 pm

The best way is to remove the cover, and lower one side at a time to make sure lube in the axle tube drains out. No need to use brake clean except the gasket mating surfaces to get the clean of dif oil. Take a turkey baster or some shop towels to wipe out the pool at the bottom of the case. No real need to go to crazy with it. Get 2 bottles of 80/90, and a tube of posi additive, and fill. No need to clean off the gears either.

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Bill, good idea tipping it side to side. I have all winter now. I can let it drain real good. Got me some POR and a couple cans of flat black plastidip, some new shocks, a new optima battery. That should keep me busy for a little bit. Still trying to figure out what I wanna do for a torque converter upgrade???? Gotta keep playing with it this winter...cause it makes spring feel soooo much better sunny 
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am

I've used synthetic for years, never had an issue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm

No Moa wrote:
I've used synthetic for years, never had an issue.

X2

I run straight syn in the cars I race

Swapping to reg 80-90 with additive (especially 2) will only make it worse.

The diff additive is a friction modifier that allows the posi to "slip" more, so there is no clutch chatter.

Sounds like the posi is toast. The reason it is slipping more now is because you have drained the fluid that had clutch/friction material in it.

The same thing can happen to a burned up trans if the fluid has gone too far. Most of the friction material ends up in the fluid, and replacing it with fresh fluid makes it worse.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Put some mole-asses in it. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:00 pm

It just seems like it happened right when I put the synthetic lube in it. I noticed it right away, it went from lighting up both tires to just spinning the passenger one...alot. Last summer I put new gears in it and used regular 80/90 gear lube and never noticed a difference. A year later I put synthetic in and boom, it doesn't work. It just seems like too much of a coincidence. I am gonna change it out just for my piece of mind and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Just report back Rob...never hurts to have...closure..Arrow 
Would love to see this square itself away
Only experience I ever had was 1 bottle of additive...making...a gawd awful chattering type noise.
2nd bottle...gone....180K miles before rear was pulled (never failed..just covering Matts behind)

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:41 pm

I have always used Regular GM recommended gear oil, have had no problems.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 am

Maybe you should limit the "lighting up" of the tires Wink
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:29 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Maybe you should limit the "lighting up" of the tires Wink
lol..I know I have a problem bounce
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:43 pm

I guess next time I will read the post instead of just the title.

cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
I guess next time I will read the post instead of just the title.
Yea, maybe you should Laughing While its draining I wanted to get all of the synthetic stuff out. I was just gonna spray everything down with brake cleaner then wipe out the bottom of the pumpkin when I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 am

cloud 9 wrote:
So, the story goes....when I did the disc brake conversion I replaced the 80w-90 gear oil with ac delco synthetic lube.... Now during launch only the passenger tire will light up. I have been doing some research online and popular verdict is that you should NOT use synthetic lube in a limited slip posi rear. So I am pulling the cover to drain it out. I was curious , can I use brake clean or carb clean to degrease the gears and the posi? Will it hurt anything? And I have found some of the real ac delco 80w-90 and 2 jars of limited slip additive to replace it with. I just want my launch back Mad
-
It's unlikely that the synthetic lube alone would, or even could ruin your LSD (Limited Slip Diff.) clutch pack.

I would first look at the surface condition and stacked thickness of your LSD clutches, their pre-load and the presence of a proper type and mixture ratio of friction modifier additive.

Synth gear lube offers your diff. several superior performance pluses, but certain (to my knowledge) un-scientifically analyzed problems have crept into the equation.

We observed several mechanical roller cam lobe scuffing issues switching to full synth in "race only" engines, and those surface galling issues went away after going back to conv. motor oil.

Crane cams had acknowledged this several years ago.
These cams were 8620 steel billet sticks, heat treated for proper surface and depth of hardness, bumping 9310 (hi-impact, nickel-alloy steel) mechanical roller lifter wheels.

This hardened 8620 alloy steel is basically the same material as used in your ring and pinion.
Perhaps the LSD makers found similar/related problems and forbade synth gear lubes to "cover their a$$" in the event of a warrantee claim, or law suit. (IDK)  

Modern FMs (friction modifiers) [post-1972 endangered species act, banning sperm*whale oil] affect clutch pack's "slip-grip" behavior predictably while turning corners, whenever the outside wheel rotates a small amount faster.

Rule of thumb:
More FM= less chatter with more slip, <-and-> Less FM= more chatter, higher grip.  -  (3%-8% are commonly suggested ranges for FM/Gear Oil mixture ratios).

Run-away single tire "wheel-spin" antics are very destructive to clutch pack health.

Its a good bet your clutch preload is low, or gone, and in no small part from all this single wheel-spin "testing".

Remember, equal rear drive tire "hook" is a moving target.
Consider the following as a starting point to help you to begin understanding how complex this issue can easily get, and also, very importantly, in addition to your current differential issues, all these factors, as well as others are in effect at all times.

Road surface tractive differences (L to R), rear tire pressure balance, tire tread type & condition, age of rubber, vehicle weight distribution, wedge-(suspension "cross pre-load" to ground), torque reaction in chassis, rear control arm kinematics, etc, , ,  

- - -
I do not love clutch pack style LSDs, they are too much when you don't need them, and rarely enough when you do need them.
On a budget, I prefer Detroit Tru-Trak, (or No-Spin for rugged simplicity), and (IMHO) both use/tolerate synth gear lube without a problem, nor do they require, or mind the presence of friction modifiers.

As far as washing out the synth, don't bother. Synth is fully compatible with conventional gear lube.
The small percentage of remaining synth would not be enough to cause further harm, even if is actually was the cause of a LSD going south, which I doubt.

If its drained out, just add the correct GL-5, correct FM (between 1 & 4 oz.) but first check the clutch pack plate condition and pre-load.

As for what brand FM, you can use GM #1052358 or Lube-Gard with the LXE (man-made sperm whale oil replacement),
ZDDP Zinc-Dialkyldithiophosphate, (EP) sulphur phosphorus, Amsoil SLIP-LOCK, RedLine limited slip friction modifier/ break-in lube,  
Ford C8AZ-19B546-A.  Some people have claimed reduced performance from LO versions, (Low Odor),
Royal Purple Max-Gear, and I know there are many more, incl Mopar, Honda, etc., etc.

* Please refrain from "sperm" whale oil jokes, this oil is contained up front in the head of the whale, but when the earliest whalers harpooned the whale in the head, they erroneously miss-named the ejected waxy substance.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 am

Machine-De-Zine wrote:

* Please refrain from "sperm" whale oil jokes........
Awww!!..No 

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Well, I'm gonna swap out the fluid and see what it does. If it works .....great. If it don't...I'll just start savin up for a Trutrac Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 pm

My brain hurts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?   Today at 7:30 am

Back to top Go down

Can I use brake cleaner to degrease the diff gears to get the synthetic out?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1