BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm 95% sure I used the AC in my FWB at some point this summer and it worked fine. Toward the end of the summer I went to use it and it was no less than ambient temp. I figured it lost the charge, but then recently I went to use the heat, and no heat! The fan and everything works, just no temp control. I know the heater core is not clogged because I just flushed it out (and the block) right after I bought it this spring. I can't think of anything else that would cause no heat. My t-stat is good, eng gets to operating temp, coolant is full.

Following the instructions in the FSM, I went into the HVAC diagnostics and in the -02 pointer, it displayed 126, which I THINK means HVAC DTC 26, which is "Serial Data Communication". The first step is to check pin "M" at the DLC (the comm port under the dash). I cannot find anything that shows which pin is which. In the next steps, it mentions "terminal D12 at the HVAC control center". Anyone know how I find which one is that one? Am I on the right track? If I KNEW it was the HVAC module itself, I would probably replace it with a RM one, but looking at the FSM it looks more likely to be short somewhere. I sure hope that is not the case! I do have a known good HVAC module in my RMW. How hard would that be to swap temporarily?

Any help with that or any other ideas would be appreciated! THanks!

Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:40 pm

My RMW shows 126 too, but everything seems to work. Sounds like the blend door isn't moving to me. Start by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then after you reconnect it turn the ignition to run. The climate control will recalibrate itself so don't don't touch it for about 30 seconds. The blower will come on when it's done. During the calibration you should hear the blend door moving.
Try that out and see if it fixes it.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I did the procedure you said, hopefully tomorrow I can get a chance to start 'er up and try the heat. I did hear something operate after turning the key on, I assume that was the door, then the fan came on like you said it would. It'd be awesome if it were that easy! I'll let you know after I try it.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 am

If that doesn't work, try swapping in the roadie head unit. Plugs right in, so for testing purposes, it's simple. It'll take a few minutes longer to modify it to fit your dash, though.

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Well Dan's suggestion was worth a shot but still no worky worky.
So, what's easier, taking stuff apart to look at the heater/AC door, or taking stuff apart to try the RMW HVAC module?
Or any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Holy cow, I was just looking at my FSM and I don't think "module" was the word I wanted to use!! That looks like a PITA! I was under the impression it might be the controller (that's the word I meant to use)- the display and buttons unit. Is that what you were talking about, Bill?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:47 pm

You can remove the middle bezel around the radio and climate control and swap that pretty quickly. You might be able to access the blend door motor from inside the glove box (behind the compartment)

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Yeah Rob, I meant the control panel. easy to get out of both cars...

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 am

I have a bolt in already modified roadmaster climate contol for sale oculus interested. (instead of destroying a good one)
It is a perfectly good working climate control. Came from my own car,
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:24 am

Also check the vacuum manifold block under the passenger side of the dash. I had a line come loose but not off once and it caused no heat.
Back to top Go down
miniz33

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Sat May 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Theres a procedure to have the climate control head do a sweep of the potentiometer in the blend door, I have the fleetwood manual with the procedure if you want me to post it? It should tell you the difference in desired position vs actual. My fw also has a 126, as did my last one and it didnt effect the A/C output if it makes you feel better. I'm leaning towards a failed actuator.
EDIT: Also forgot to mention mine, same codes, it was cured after I recently did one ground wire upgrade and the problem was solved! I bought a side post extended from autozone and a 19 inch 4 gauge weatherproof tractor battery cable, made an extra ground to the chassis where the battery cables clip to the frame, used a pre-existing bolt. Try it, it'll only cost 15 dollars, cut my ground side resistance by more than half. If only I can get it to idle now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C   Today at 5:49 am

Back to top Go down

95 FWB HVAC question- no heat, no A/C
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1