BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Yesterday at 11:11 am by sdstick

» For all B-bodies
Yesterday at 10:59 am by sdstick

» 95 9C1
Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:53 pm by MalibuSSwagon

» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:38 am by No Moa

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

» Allagash Wilderness Waterway Canoe Trip
Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 am by boojum

» CraigsList car finder
Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 pm by MalibuSSwagon

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

New (to me) RMS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am

Check the heater hose "T" and the reducing valve; both are plastic and crack easily.

Tom
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 am

Will do!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 am

If it was any of that shyt...it'd be making a HUGE mess
I've had perfectly good looking (old) caps do that
Auto Zone quick fix

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 am

Very true. Can't hurt to look anyway. I was driving 65 when it happened. Not sure how long before I looked down at the gauges tho :/ but there's still a lot of coolant left in the system. I've had a lower hose go before and that drained everything. That was also winter.

Kinda stuck until wife gets home. Will fill with coolant and try to recreate the leak.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:59 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:

Only other cap I have is on my 9C1. I'm not canibalizing that car. I ordered a new cap from Hamilton Chevrolet. .......

pfffttt....do what I do....take the old stuff & feed the cars lower in the pecking order

Give the favorite all the new stuff.. cheers

Not sure rotating caps would be considered canibalizing anyway.

Now if you said it was under 3 FT of snow....I'd understand

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:07 pm

It IS buried in snow. Snow does not recognize my carport I guess. But yea, the new cap will probably stay with the Buick since it's the dd and needs to be fixed first. The 9C1 won't be running for a while anyway. Still have a bolt stuck in the engine from the broken flexplate, and the trans, d shaft, cats (snapped a manifold stud), and exhaust is out.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Buick is topped off. Ran it up to temp. Fans work and thermostat opens on que. No leaks.

I want to say it was the cold weather or magic loose cap. Can't see loose cap...hood hasn't been open in months and even then that wouldn't have been touched. 10,000 trouble free miles.

Haven't driven it yet. Will take it to work tonight. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Kehd the cap is a pocket item at the junkyahd kehd! Snag one from the Caprice then put it back latah guy! Laughing

Would you believe 2 people I know had cars overheat on them this morning? Pretty crazy, I'm sure the cold had something to do with triggering it.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:15 pm

I have had a car overheat in the cold. It was 10 below zero.

The Radiator froze because the Coolant was not concentrated correctly. It was close but out of concentration just enough to allow it to sludge up.

I was climbing a big hill and the car suddenly overheated. I still had heat but when I stopped the radiator was frozen solid and the overflow was boiling.

Let it sit for 15 minutes and it thawed out enough to drive. Changed the coolant and everything was back to normal.

Highway speed is what did it. I was fine stopped. As soon as I started to move quickly it froze.

Check the coolant and make sure it's concentrated correctly.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:29 am

YachtDriver wrote:

I have had a car overheat in the cold. It was 10 below zero.

The Radiator froze because the Coolant was not concentrated correctly. It was close but out of concentration just enough to allow it to sludge up.

I was climbing a big hill and the car suddenly overheated. I still had heat but when I stopped the radiator was frozen solid and the overflow was boiling.

Let it sit for 15 minutes and it thawed out enough to drive.  Changed the coolant and everything was back to normal.

Highway speed is what did it. I was fine stopped. As soon as I started to move quickly it froze.

Check the coolant and make sure it's concentrated correctly.

Will do. Thank you!

This is why this club kicks ass. Knowledge from experience.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:02 pm

YachtDriver wrote:

You may never just casually pass by a large over-the-road tractor trailer
that has manually or thermostatically controlled rotating louvres
and/or a Naugahyde cover, snap-buttoned directly over the radiator in the grill
without re-living your own cold weather overheat scenario in your mind.

The wind chill factor of the air being forced thru a radiator increases along with higher road speeds.
On a modified 3rd Gen F-body, I had a necessarily huge radiator cooled by a large electric fan.

I used manually (toggle switch) operated ambulance-grade barrel relays to connect power to the fan
whenever the big red repurposed AutoMeter shift light on the dash warned me that the Bosch relays
(that were supposed to automatically kick-on the fan) had failed again.

This light came on at a higher temp (220┬░ I think) & I was warned to more closely watch the temp gage.

This dual control set-up (manual override) allowed me the option to completely shut off the fans on the road
when the fast moving air "cooling factor" was more than sufficient, even on super hot & humid days.

In the dead cold of winter, as this was my daily driver for many years,
I had a thin removable ABS panel that blocked most of the air that moved too quickly thru the radiator.

Note: Cylinder walls last virtually forever if kept at 180-185(┬░/f).

It should be acknowledged that the 94-96 OEM HD-taxi or HD police cooling systems work very effectively,
and are extremely well thought out.
When I had cooling problems early on, I tasked myself with understanding how it all worked before making repairs.
There are different motors (higher watt consumption) on these applications than std civi LT1 & L99 B-bodies.

One thing that is a highly recommended upgrade... Gary's Innovative Wiring harnesses all around.
I did this last summer (with Racetronix fuel pump) and there's no looking back!
Expensive to do them all, but price out the materials to make your own and it starts to make sense.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Great info! I can't see putting Gary's harnesses on this car tho. The black 96 9C1 has the headlight harness. Battery cables would be next. Unsure if keeping the LT1 in the 9C1 or planning the long road of an LSx swap.

As for the Buick overheating, I've driven it several times on surface roads never going faster than 50mph and the longest trip (today) was 30 minutes each way. No overheating. It stayed around 180 according to the CC. No real heat kicking out if the vents. I've got a flow issue and probably air in the system.

If the radiator froze, or anywhere else in the system froze, that would only be effected after the thermostat opened, I can see the overheating and boiling out of the overflow cap.

This is a first for me.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:25 am

MASShole9C1 wrote:
No real heat kicking out if the vents.
I've got a flow issue and probably air in the system.

Just as the weather turned cold a few months ago, I noticed the 96 9C1 was not delivering adequate heat.

Went to Home Depot, spent a few Quid on household garden hose fittings and adaptors to fit my heater hoses.

Cobbled up some 1/4 turn ball valves and started alternately forward, then back flushing the heater circuit, new radiator, engine block and water pump circuit until all water coming out was crystal clear.

Mind, at the start there was literally zero flow thru the heater core, but gradually terra cotta mud stained sludge started to ooze out until eventually that flow became unrestricted clear water in both directions.

Don't forget to run a reputable brand of radiator flush concentrate thru your system for a full cycle of operation where the operating temps and such are maintained ... With the heater/defroster turned up full-on.

Do the flush that, or the next day as I can't say that I trust that stuff nibbling away at my gaskets, seals, you get the picture.

Caution: I also don't recommend applying full garden-hose pressure into a clogged heater core, for the same reason the OEM installed that little plastic flow-restrictor in the heater hose near the #4 spark plug.

You might not be surprised if I told you I also installed a pressure gage to monitor the highest pressure observed during the flush procedures, so that in the event I subsequently leaked coolant onto my passenger's feet, I'd know that it was not from overpressuring the core.

After that, with original MB antifreeze and water mixed to the correct ratio, I had awesome heat!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:35 am

Only problem is my garden hoses are all frozen now. I'd be out fixing this thing if that weren't the case. It's STILL snowing too. Looks like no heat for a while.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:59 pm

The SS hasn't had usable heat as long as I've owned it...it makes a little defrosted rectangle in the middle of the windshield and that's about it....I don't really use it in the winter but at the beginning and end of the season it comes in handy, lol.

I'll have to fiddle with that next in the spring.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't care too much, myself. Having it as a DD and having my son with me makes it a bit of a problem. That and windows fogging and icing on the inside. On a side note, the cap I ordered the other day came. So, I've got that going for me...Wink
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Got a used grill from Indigo, to replace my cracked one.

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:27 pm

I got tired of the squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak.

After a few trips today with the window down, I had enough of it. I figured I'll try free remedies first. I dug out the tensioner from that '83 Caprice LT1 swap junkyard find. 2 10mm bolts and bingo! I start the car up to idie, no more squeak. 18x,xxx miles on what looks like the original tensioner. I am now content.

Some sort of non OEM replacement tensioner. The hex head used to release the tension, is a bit larger than an OEM one.

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Fri May 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Still driving on my bent rim. Making an appointment with Rimpro next week. ~$140 to fix and it's not guaranteed to not leave a crease they said...

Still cheaper than buying a whole new rim. I cleaned a bunch of crap out of the trunk. Now it has a bit of a rake to it. I like it Arrow

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Water pump went. Started leaking pretty bad from the seal in the back where the input shaft/coupler is. Of course it happens this time of year.

I ended up flushing a ton of crud from the heater core, radiator, and block (again). Maybe I'll have heat this year cheers

The coupler seems to be stuck to it. I left it sitting in PB blast for the night.

It looks like she'll end up parted out after this season. For me, there's too much rot to justify any of the other repairs. I gave another club member a laundry list of issues and things it would need. They even said it's only worth parting out or doing a frame/drivetrain swap for something else. I know I've said one other time I was parting it out. But I never got a title for the other car I have to replace it. I suppose I could just use my company car until I find something. My wife's car needs to hit the scrap yard too.

I think I've already got someone here interested in the whole front clip. It's a tough issue for me giving up on a car like this but it wasn't taken care of too good prior to my ownership. Even tho it's Swiss cheese outback, I still wash it frequently in the winter and keep up on fluid services. It's super reliable and fast for a junker. It's just got a mountain of issues stacked against it.

I'd like to replace it with another Caprice (91-92 or 95-96 LT1) or even a Buick wagon (95-96).
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:21 pm

As stated above, the water pump failed early this week. Was wondering why I kept losing power steering while driving. Slow leak turned into what the back of the WP looks like in the pic below. I've never had one do that before. I removed the front cover and there's was a ton off play in the impeller.

The WP ended up still being under warranty (2 year), but not by much. Some fel-pro gaskets and we were in business. I took this opportunity to do ANOTHER system flush with the garden hose. Soooo much brown crud came out of the heater core. New heater core too. They get stopped up pretty quick. I've NEVER had heat in this car. Now I can cook dinner with the vents on full blast. Fingers crossed it stays like that. Not sure if I can stomach another winter without heat.

Running straight water until temps freeze and I'll go to the shop and have them do a fluid exchange.

Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 pm

You may want to do that cooling flush sooner rather than later. Already had several 20 degree nights up here.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:42 pm

True but I ran water quite a while after i did the first pump into November. She'll be good. I plan for next/this week.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:37 pm

This car just keeps taking hits. Last one was a lifted truck hit the back corner on the drivers side above the tail light. But, it's got new steering parts and heat, so it'll do until I sell it whole or part it out.

Last edited by MASShole9C1 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:35 pm

This car should be nick named "Bad NewSS"

Also sorry to hear about all the eels in your hovercraft Sad
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
This car should be nick named "Bad NewSS"

Also sorry to hear about all the eels in your hovercraft Sad

True. It is a bad luck machine. I went through the 94 and 95 caprice with no major issues and I've had the 96 almost 7 years. Then the bad news bear became my DD over 2 years ago. Nothing but bad luck.

Also, thank you for your kind words.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon May 02, 2016 2:29 am

This happened yesterday. Not even a mile from my house. 7am. Just got done working an 11 hour shift.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 am

Ugh..........definitely not something you'd want to face after working 11 hours all night.

Good Luck

Tom
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Mon May 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Worst part about is I can't fix it until tomorrow. Apparently nobody stocks C clips in store anymore. Not bad tho, Tuesday is one of my days off. Hopefully I can finish this up then get the Caprice going.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Bolted the diff cover and gasket/sealer together, push in on the axel and the new C clip just falls out with a nice audible "CLINK!"
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Engine and trans out. Ready for someone to scrap the rest.

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:24 pm

And just like that, a thing of the past.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Time to buy a nice orange roadmaster wagon,.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:07 pm

You know, a nice roadie wagon is on the "possibilities" list. Along with 91-93 caprice sedan and 95-96 SS.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:24 pm

already has tinted windows and 3:73 gears with an eaton posi,.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) RMS   Today at 8:16 am

Back to top Go down

New (to me) RMS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: BADASS information :: Bad talk-
Jump to: