BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

WTB LT1 Crossmember

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

PostSubject: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Looking for an LT1 trans xmember to run duals properly. Would rather not notch my stocker. The cleaner the better. LMK Arrow 
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:06 am

Hey, who said you had to notch it! Arrow 

I'm serious btw! Smile  Your car isn't low enough to have to worry. Just use the fine adjustment hammer!
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I think I tossed the one I had laying around, but Ill have a look.

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 pm

u can buy mine
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 am

Cadet57 wrote:
Looking for an LT1 trans xmember to run duals properly. The cleaner the better. LMK Arrow 

The stock OEM piece looks like it was engineered to hold up the Brooklyn Bridge (huge, heavy and ugly)
Two good alternatives:

.  1) - 64-72 A-body "442 style", flat-folded steel, double hump, straight across.
I was not able to find my link to the brand new ones still being produced.
However, I did find a good used one for you to see on e-Pay for $40 + shipping (Item# 261303885260)
This exact part is what is in my hot rod B-body.
I had one (a spare) laying around and put up in there and it fit perfectly, but I did cut away some of the right-side extra frame material to make it look stock

.  2) - Clear Image Automotive, LLC makes a very strong, yet lightweight tubular crossmember.
This C.I.A. crossmember gives you plenty of clearance for dual, 3 inch diameter, full-round exhaust pipes, even w/four cats.
Ask me how I know.

Matt, now put that big hammer away.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Looking for an LT1 trans xmember to run duals properly. The cleaner the better. LMK Arrow 
The stock OEM piece looks like it was engineered to hold up the Brooklyn Bridge (huge, heavy and ugly)
Two good alternatives:

.  1) - 64-72 A-body "442 style", flat-folded steel, double hump, straight across.
I was not able to find my link to the brand new ones still being produced.
However, I did find a good used one for you to see on e-Pay for $40 + shipping (Item# 261303885260)
This exact part is what is in my hot rod B-body.
I had one (a spare) laying around and put up in there and it fit perfectly, but I did cut away some of the right-side extra frame material to make it look stock

.  2) - Clear Image Automotive, LLC makes a very strong, yet lightweight tubular crossmember.
This C.I.A. crossmember gives you plenty of clearance for dual, 3 inch diameter, full-round exhaust pipes, even w/four cats.
Ask me how I know.

Matt, now put that big hammer away.
Hey, mine works for now. I have always wanted a different transmission that needs a custom xmember anyway. Arrow 
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:52 pm

1984twodoor wrote:

Hey, mine works for now. I have always wanted a different transmission that needs a custom xmember anyway. Arrow 
Whats working for you for now Matt, the crossmember or the big sledge hammer?!?! joking of course ;D

He was searching for a crossmember that allows 2.5" round dual exhaust to be properly installed, and also appear clean.

The LT1 dual X-member is a bolt-in, and a good choice if someone has one for him, near to him, and not cost dear to him.

Failing that he finds one for low or no $$, I suggested these as better choices in terms of weight and appearance preferences.

The two cross-members I suggested will usually fit most transmissions, so long as you choose the correct trans-mount.

A RWD 700R-4 or 4L60E configuration mounts the same as a TH350. And its easy enough to drill new holes in the L&R frame rails for proper positioning.

If you look at your B-body's floor stampings, comparing front driver's versus passenger's foot well contours, you'll see all the extra room given below for the single rt-side exhaust (incl.cat. & heat shields).

This is one of the reasons I don't like riding in the front passenger's seat, the floor bulges up under my left foot, where the driver's side is flat and roomy under-foot.

This is what makes the left side tight with the wrong X-member shapes, I know that the 68 Olds 442 X-member in my late B-Body is a perfect fit.

I've had BW-T5s, TH400s, TH350s, 700R-4s, and a D.N.E. 4+1 (Doug Nash 5-Spd), all on this X-member in both 68-72 A-Bodies and 88-96 B-Bodies.

Matt, if you want cross-member photos, I will send them to you, as I still haven't solved my computer problems, and its over a year since i posted images here.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:

Whats working for you for now Matt, the crossmember or the big sledge hammer?!?! joking of course ;D

He was searching for a crossmember that allows 2.5" round dual exhaust to be properly installed, and also appear clean.

The LT1 dual X-member is a bolt-in, and a good choice if someone has one for him, near to him, and not cost dear to him.

Failing that he finds one for low or no $$, I suggested these as better choices in terms of weight and appearance preferences.

The two cross-members I suggested will usually fit most transmissions, so long as you choose the correct trans-mount.

A RWD 700R-4 or 4L60E configuration mounts the same as a TH350. And its easy enough to drill new holes in the L&R frame rails for proper positioning.

If you look at your B-body's floor stampings, comparing front driver's versus passenger's foot well contours, you'll see all the extra room given below for the single rt-side exhaust (incl.cat. & heat shields).

This is one of the reasons I don't like riding in the front passenger's seat, the floor bulges up under my left foot, where the driver's side is flat and roomy under-foot.

This is what makes the left side tight with the wrong X-member shapes, I know that the 68 Olds 442 X-member in my late B-Body is a perfect fit.

I've had BW-T5s, TH400s, TH350s, 700R-4s, and a D.N.E. 4+1 (Doug Nash 5-Spd), all on this X-member in both 68-72 A-Bodies and 88-96 B-Bodies.

Matt, if you want cross-member photos, I will send them to you, as I still haven't solved my computer problems, and its over a year since i posted images here.
I understand why he want's the new one perfectly fine. I also understand why you suggested the other options. I had noticed that with the floor years ago, it really is kind of annoying. None of my passengers ever complained though, maybe because they never drove it.

My cross member is a stock one with the LH side literally beaten in to allow true dual exhaust like my parts car had installed on it. That's why I suggested the hammer Wink Saves even more money!
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 am

My Stocker is still in my garage .
Figure out a way to get it South and it's yours
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB LT1 Crossmember   Today at 11:08 pm

Back to top Go down

WTB LT1 Crossmember
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1