BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Rust Repair in Our Area?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bull

PostSubject: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Do any of you fellows know of a good rust repair guy in our general area? My wagon is essentially rot free except for the rear wheel wells, inside, behind the wheel. It's pretty bad in there.

One day, my car will be back together and I will want to get the rust fixed. My body guy that I used to use in the next town over retired.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I'll be watching this as I'm in the same boat. Eventually, the back window on the '74 Impala needs to come out, so the window channel at the very bottom corners can be looked at and then professionally repaired and painted before the window goes back in. I'm sure there is a pinhole at each corner, leaks into the trunk if I leave it in the rain and I have to dry it out.
Pretty typical of anything from the 70s or older, but I don't want it to become a problem. Been lucky with the lack of rain lately...
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 am

I know plenty of body guys, and quite a few that do side work, and NONE of them want to get involved in any kind of rust work. Rolling Eyes 

This is the reason I have learned to do it myself. Even if I do a so-so job fixing it, it seems to still outlast anything I paid to get done. Cool 
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:06 am

The $$$ is in doing collision work. Rust repair, doesn't pay, or atleast as good. It is also a pain to do. Like Al said, even the weekend warriors and part timers, don't want to do it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:49 pm

I don't mind doing it. I just replaced floors and ALOT of metal in the cowl of the nova, tedious work but it's gotta be done.
I find the problem is when ppl see a "pinhole" size hole they think it's a simple job and have a false sense of what their car really is,
95% of the time a small hole opens up to be a massive area needing repair. Cancer has to be cut out..... Some guys aren't willing to do it or want to see it done. They want the original paint to stay intact or whatever and expect it to be a small touch up. The truth is your gonna have to sand her down and prime/paint.. PERIOD!
That's why half my stuff is always patchwork paint... Because it's done the RIGHT way. (and I can't afford top coat paint LOL)
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yeah, that's why I've never messed with the Impala. The problem hasn't really gotten worse. I think for now I'm going to paint all up inside the sail panels, quarters, under the rear deck, etc. with that silver paint I use, since the factory barely even primed the area, then clean up anything from inside the best I can, paint that, if there's a hole, I'll fill it in with something and then use something like Fluid Film or EECI under the window reveal moldings...and keep the car in a garage. lol
Back to top Go down
tonyc712000

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Well, I may as well chime in here as well...My Cappy was sitting in the sun for a whil. It was owned by an older gentleman to start. So there are the "older driver" scratches, as well as the bumpers. The tops clear coat has peeled and it looks like hell. And there are round spots where the paint came off to the metal, or undercoating. Some on the hood, some on the roof. On the trunk is a spot that is bumpy. Is there a local place to get some small easy paint repairs done?
Also....the digital speedo took a hiatus on me. It only makes occasional "special appearances"....Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
bigbluey88

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Tony I know a guy In windsor locks its called Eddie's Bradley auto body located on king spring road off of route 75 he does magnificent work. He found me a brand new custom cruiser hood for my olds and painted it the original blue to match after my accident wouldn't trust anyone else. He does rust paint bumpers you name it.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Lots of body shops up my way specialize in rust repair. One right around the corner from me is all he does for the most part, and is really busy for it. I think a lot of the smaller mom & pop shops do more of the rust repair as the bigger shops have the corner on the collision market. I know most of the time, you get into an accident and your insurance company says their preferred body shop is X shop (bigger outfit) and folks go there, never even looking at the smaller shops.

One shop down in souther New England I have talked to and heard good things is Auto Rust Technicians in Cranston, RI. http://www.autorust.com
Back to top Go down
Bull

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I still haven't found anyone in my neck o' the woods.

If left to my own devices I am afraid the wheel well rust on the RMW is going to get a Frankenfix by me, since I don't have the skills or the patience to figure out how to do the job properly.

I hope to avoid the Frankenfix.
Back to top Go down
miniz33

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Thu May 29, 2014 10:54 am

I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel, but here in RI theres a shop called Auto Rust Technicians on niantic ave in Cranston, the guy does absolutely top notch work. All the body shops that refuse to touch rust send work his way, he doesn't do paint though, he just primes the area he works on for you. He also offers military grade undercoating, that stuff is ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rust Repair in Our Area?   Today at 3:30 pm

Back to top Go down

Rust Repair in Our Area?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1