BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

General Auto Salvage in Claremont

Go down 
+3
sdstick
Matt Trakker
Cadet57
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

General Auto Salvage in Claremont Empty
PostSubject: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 8:22 pm

...Anyone ever deal with them? Reputable? Reasonable prices? They have one of the mysterious '96 G30 vans with Vortec heads that I would like to acquire.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 pm

The mysteriousness of those vans I believe is that the engine is a Vortec, but it has a special TBI intake that allows a TBI to bolt to it instead of the whole EFI setup the other Vortecs had. I think the heads are the same as other Vortec engines. You'd actually be better off taking the whole engine and putting it in your car since it likely has a roller cam too, kehd. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 8:54 pm

But I already have a motor Cool 

General Auto Salvage in Claremont 1186066_10151636379703553_878420172_n
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Aint that always the way?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:25 pm

You don't have a rollah cam though, kehd (less'n the Goodwrench engines for some reason came with one, some of the truck blocks had provisions to install one but it's hit or miss and you never know).
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
You don't have a rollah cam though, kehd (less'n the Goodwrench engines for some reason came with one, some of the truck blocks had provisions to install one but it's hit or miss and you never know).
Correct me if I'm wrong but the provisions cant be had for the price of a drill and tap right? If so just do that lol.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 pm

With the truck TBIs, some of the blocks had like pads or whatever that you could drill and tap to do the roller cam.  But a lot of the blocks just had nothing cast there! lol  It's very odd how GM did that, some were probably blocks meant to be in cars.  They should have just done the damned roller cams in everything but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Justin, if that bastard TBI Vortec engine is complete and usable I'd get a price from them on it, you never know.  Then you could do a dual engine set up on the wagon or something of this nature.

General Auto Salvage in Claremont MG_2710-685x456
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
The mysteriousness of those vans I believe is that the engine is a Vortec, but it has a special TBI intake that allows a TBI to bolt to it instead of the whole EFI setup the other Vortecs had.  I think the heads are the same as other Vortec engines.  You'd actually be better off taking the whole engine and putting it in your car since it likely has a roller cam too, kehd. Very Happy 

I still need to get the trans seperate so I can pull the casting number off the back of the block. But im wondering if its a roller since it was swapped around 96-97 with this Goodwrench crate. Also, according to this thread on 3rd Gen, the vans were a "regular" TBI motor block wise, the only difference was the heads and manifold.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/336915-1996-g30hd-vans-vortec.html

That said, I'm also wondering, since the only G30's that got them were the 8501 GVW models if they got the flat cams like the 3500 trucks did.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Justin,
Step 1: get another modded shopping cart
Step 2: support tranny
Step 3: gather rags for the waterfall of tranny fluid when you disconnect
Step 4: unbolt the TC & tranny
Step 5: seperate, catch, curse, catch, wipe & mop (while cursing more)
Step 6: figure out wtf you have & move on
Hope this helps
Your welcome
If I was closer I'd give you some crovo help. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

sdstick wrote:
Justin,
Step 1: get another modded shopping cart
Step 2: support tranny
Step 3: gather rags for the waterfall of tranny fluid when you disconnect
Step 4: unbolt the TC & tranny
Step 5: seperate, catch, curse, catch, wipe & mop (while cursing more)
Step 6: figure out wtf you have & move on
Hope this helps
Your welcome
If I was closer I'd give you some crovo help. Razz 
I'm getting there. Im going to go invest in some speedy dry before I do this.

Also, pulled a valve cover, found a casting #

The googles tells me the following:

Quote :
22 350 5.7 89-93 7 V8 OHV, RWD, TBI, roller lifters, center bolt valve covers, high swirl intake ports, right hand dipstick 14093638 14011148 10054727 14088526 14088535 14102193 14102191 10110810
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Nice. If that's the case that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Based on the chart it came from, seems 87 was the year that some trucks either had rollers, or provisions for them, 86 and older had flat. http://www.jimsperformance.com/blocks.html

Also, some more "evidence", the TBI Caprice and the 3500 truck use the same head. And since we know the TBI's are roller...

Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Before the catch and swearing, pickup one of the tailshaft plugs (tranny butt plug Laughing ) from harbor freight.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:41 pm

95brmw wrote:
Before the catch and swearing, pickup one of the tailshaft plugs (tranny butt plug Laughing ) from harbor freight.
Huh Huh, Dave said butt huh huh Laughing 
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I assumed it already had that.....or reasonable facsimile....seeing as its already sitting on his garage floor.

Unless you meant....Embarassed ...no....Shocked ....your not recommending.....affraid .....what are you from MAINE?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm

sdstick wrote:
I assumed it already had that.....or reasonable facsimile....seeing as its already sitting on his garage floor.

Unless you meant....Embarassed ...no....Shocked ....your not recommending.....affraid .....what are you from MAINE?
This thread has taken a terrible, terrible turn.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Based on the chart it came from, seems 87 was the year that some trucks either had rollers, or provisions for them, 86 and older had flat. http://www.jimsperformance.com/blocks.html

Also, some more "evidence", the TBI Caprice and the 3500 truck use the same head. And since we know the TBI's are roller...

The general consensus I've seen over the years on the truck forums is that the 1986 and older small blocks have no provisions at all for the factory roller cams...the TBI truck motors had the provisions on some of the motors, and that was mainly toward the middle of 87-95 production and later...but a popular Goodwrench engine to be swapped in was roller. All car TBIs had the roller cam and I also think the 4.3 TBI truck engines had roller cams in them at least by the early 1990s?

I have heard of people using parts from LT1s to swap over the factory roller cam, I guess the incentive was because doing an aftermarket roller cam swap is very expensive or some shizz. I saw on one site where some guy claimed to have seen factory rollers a lot in trucks and vans but it turned into an argument, lol.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure for a while, a popular Goodwrench crate engine was literally the 350 that came in the B and C bodies from 1990-1993, the L05 car TBI long block. I think they might've stopped making it though...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
sdstick wrote:

Butt plugs? Is this drivetrain swap being performed in the parking lot of Amazing on Route 1 in Peabody, kehd?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
sdstick wrote:

Butt plugs? Is this drivetrain swap being performed in the parking lot of Amazing on Route 1 in Peabody, kehd?
face palm in and out 

That is a joke not everyone on here will understand fully, but by now they all know the gist of it..
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:50 pm

What I've read and seen, all 87+ 1 piece main seal blocks, have provisions for roller cams. They have the bosses in the lifter valley and larger lifter bores. You may have to drill and tap the bosses on the non-roller blocks.

I have a roller cam 305 from a camaro, if anyone wants it....lol

Last edited by MalibuSSwagon on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
sdstick wrote:

face palm in and out 

That is a joke not everyone on here will understand fully, but by now they all know the gist of it..
Isn't this a Brad story?
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
sdstick wrote:

face palm in and out 

Isn't this a Brad story?

Someone please fill me in, spare no details Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 11:28 pm

On topic: I spent all of high school scrounging that yard, got lots of great parts when you could still pull your own. In the last few years it's been hard to find anything reasonably priced there, good luck if you go for it.

Back to butt plugs....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Auto Salvage in Claremont   General Auto Salvage in Claremont Empty

Back to top Go down

General Auto Salvage in Claremont
Page 1 of 1