BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style Empty
PostSubject: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 12:09 am

Does anyone have any experience with the little red pressurized tank sand blasters from HF?

I've been having a bitch of a time wire wheeling the floor of the caprice, and this could be a better option, but before I pop and buy anything and borrow a generator to run the compressor Rolling Eyes I'd like to get some opinions

Has anyone used one? Is it worth the time and effort and cost? What compressor did you use and what have you found sufficient or needed for the blaster to function properly?

If anyone can help chime in please! I'd love to know what I can get done here.

TIA
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 am

I used the HF equivalent of a small pot pressure blaster years ago when I was working on my '77 Grand Prix. They make a very large mess and can be finicky in terms of moisture in your lines clogging the orifices and tubes.

Is this outside or in a garage? Just be aware that you are going to have sand everywhere, every nook and cranny of your chassis or frame or whatever, as well as the surrounding area. Use a good hood and respirator, too, especially with actual sand; silicosis is no joke.

Are you trying to get your pans completely clean, or just knock off rust and scale to get ready for POR-15 or similar?

Also, if you have tool-specific questions, I mod a gigantic site where thousands of guys are eager to talk about tools all day, every day.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Matt, we have one of those 20lb red ones, It stripped a wheel pretty good. We have a 125psi compressor.

My father also wants to get rid of said sandblaster. Laughing 

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Bull wrote:
I used the HF equivalent of a small pot pressure blaster years ago when I was working on my '77 Grand Prix.  They make a very large mess and can be finicky in terms of moisture in your lines clogging the orifices and tubes.

Is this outside or in a garage?  Just be aware that you are going to have sand everywhere, every nook and cranny of your chassis or frame or whatever, as well as the surrounding area.  Use a good hood and respirator, too, especially with actual sand; silicosis is no joke.

Are you trying to get your pans completely clean, or just knock off rust and scale to get ready for POR-15 or similar?

Also, if you have tool-specific questions, I mod a gigantic site where thousands of guys are eager to talk about tools all day, every day.
What is the site? Might be worth me going on and making a profile, I need more time suckers on the computer! Laughing 

I am looking to get the pans clean, some of the old paint is ok with me, but I want them to be closer to bare. I have to deal with lots of undercoating, and some minor rust scale. But I would like to see more bare metal under there in less time.

Worse case Ontario I just thin the undercoating with gasoline and scrub it off then wire wheel paint and rust after without clogging the wheels and flap discs with thick melted undercoating.

I'm doing this in a tent garage so I am not as open as fully outdoors and not as restricted as indoors. I am aware sand will be everywhere but I can't spend another year just on the floors alone! I'll have to see some pictures of how well harbor freight equip. does. This isn't a thin layer of paint.

Cadet57 wrote:
Matt, we have one of those 20lb red ones, It stripped a wheel pretty good. We have a 125psi compressor.

My father also wants to get rid of said sandblaster. Laughing 

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html
The fact it runs off of a smaller compressor like mine is good news, but how much crap was on the wheel. I'm dealing with thick $hit.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Matt, it's not what kind of blaster you use. But what you blast it WITH.
Regular sand isn't gonna cut it... Literally. You need to ge some heavy grit sand or some aluminum oxide. It's much harsher and will pull that stuff off like it's old masking tape.
Put a tarp or plastic sheet down for recovery and it shouldnt be too bad. I use an old screen to filter the sand before reloading.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm

The site is garagejournal.com; there is a sub-forum just for tools, and one entire and very long thread about the Pass/Fail tools from HF.  Because, some of their stuff is just garbage, while other stuff is good.

What kind of wire brush have you been using?  I just used a knotted wire wheel and a knotted cup brush to clean some areas of my floor pans.  They were attached to a grinder and not a drill, of course.  You don't want the wire brushes that just have straight wires, you want the knotted types.  They remove even heavy undercoating very quickly.  The knotted cups are too stiff to use on contours, so you use them for the flat areas and the knotted wheel to get into tighter spaces.

3M has a "sandblaster" stripping disc for angle grinders (you need their adapter, too) that works very well at removing paint and rust from large, flat areas. I do not believe it will get the undercoating, though.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-SandBlaster-9681-2-Inch-Clean-N-Strip/dp/B000BQURDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377136245&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+sandblaster

A heat gun and scrapers are also going to remove undercoating.  Instead of a hand scraper you could use the scraper attachments they have for those oscillating multi-tools, which work very well.

If you only have a small compressor, it's going to run all the time to feed a blaster, which means it will be creating a lot of moisture in the tank and potentially clogging up the hoses.  The CFM ratings are what matter, not the PSI ratings.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:35 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
Matt, it's not what kind of blaster you use. But what you blast it WITH.
Regular sand isn't gonna cut it... Literally. You need to ge some heavy grit sand or some aluminum oxide. It's much harsher and will pull that stuff off like it's old masking tape.
Put a tarp or plastic sheet down for recovery and it shouldnt be too bad. I use an old screen to filter the sand before reloading.
I've used black beauty in the past, but it was with a small compressor and a siphon feed gun, which didn't work well. Hmm, I'll have to see about some tougher abrasives if I go the blast route.

Bull wrote:
The site is garagejournal.com; there is a sub-forum just for tools, and one entire and very long thread about the Pass/Fail tools from HF.  Because, some of their stuff is just garbage, while other stuff is good.

What kind of wire brush have you been using?  I just used a knotted wire wheel and a knotted cup brush to clean some areas of my floor pans.  They were attached to a grinder and not a drill, of course.  You don't want the wire brushes that just have straight wires, you want the knotted types.  They remove even heavy undercoating very quickly.  The knotted cups are too stiff to use on contours, so you use them for the flat areas and the knotted wheel to get into tighter spaces.

3M has a "sandblaster" stripping disc for angle grinders (you need their adapter, too) that works very well at removing paint and rust from large, flat areas.  I do not believe it will get the undercoating, though.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-SandBlaster-9681-2-Inch-Clean-N-Strip/dp/B000BQURDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377136245&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+sandblaster

A heat gun and scrapers are also going to remove undercoating.  Instead of a hand scraper you could use the scraper attachments they have for those oscillating multi-tools, which work very well.

If you only have a small compressor, it's going to run all the time to feed a blaster, which means it will be creating a lot of moisture in the tank and potentially clogging up the hoses.  The CFM ratings are what matter, not the PSI ratings.
Good to know about the site and the compressor info.

I've been using both the straight strand and knotted, both HF items, and the knotted pulls the undercoating off but it really isn't that great because it melts it and splatters it to send it around the metal making it not as clean as possible but tarnished almost with black gunk. This works but it takes some effort and serious aggravation. I really just want to know what is more cost and time efficient!

I've used those 3M "waffle wheels" but the ones I've gotten were Gator brand and they rip everything apart! Awesome, but only on the flats and they burn up in minutes. Mad 

I will try the heat gun and scrapper again just for laughs, I used it up on the cowl but it didn't work well with the sound deadening material so I didn't even try for the undercoating.

Thanks for the advice and help guys keep it coming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style   I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm wondering about sandblasting...Harbor Freight style
Page 1 of 1