BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Know Any Mobile Welders?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Know Any Mobile Welders? Empty
PostSubject: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm sick of these broken bullshit exhaust manifold bolts in my cylinder head.  I'm just making a mess trying to implement the "weld a nut to the stump" trick.  They are broken below the surface of the head.  I'm looking at all of my options, and someone on another board suggested a mobile welder.  You guys know of one?

I don't want to pull the head, but that;s the next step if my pathetic welding attempts don't work out.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I have never had any luck with the weld on trick. I do the tried and true center punch, drill it out a size at a time and then an easy out,
Just did one on the 96 engine, had to chase the threads with a tap. Make sure you measure bolt depth, drilling too deep can break into the water jacket.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Sounds like you need to buy my aluminum heads Wink
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
I have never had any luck with the weld on trick. I do the tried and true center punch, drill it out a size at a time and then an easy out,
Just did one on the 96 engine, had to chase the threads with a tap. Make sure you measure bolt depth, drilling too deep can break into the water jacket.
I've considered that method, or a left-hand drill bit. But I'd need to buy a right-angle drill, unless I pull the inner fender, maybe then I'd have a straight shot. The welding method looks so friggin' nice in Youtube videos and boojum's thread. Just whiz bang and you are done...

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Sounds like you need to buy my aluminum heads Wink
The thought crossed my mind when I saw them posted. But I am on a shoestring and don't have the money to buy them and then take them to a machine shop. I'd also like to avoid pulling two heads and getting the motor that far apart if possible. The car has already been down for too long.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Mark the bit so you know when to stop! I saw a video of a guy go right through a block for a WP bolt, it chugged like a steam train after...
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 pm

They actually sell a small ring with a set screw you can attach to a drill as a stop. I have one in the tool box. Never fails.
That's how they ruined a head on Paul's stepdad's caddy lt1.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Know Any Mobile Welders?   Know Any Mobile Welders? Empty

Back to top Go down

Know Any Mobile Welders?
Page 1 of 1