BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Rattle from around driver's rear wheel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Last night well after midnight (i.e., in the dark) I was on the way home on 125 in Haverhill, and hit a raised manhole that wasn't marked with my back wheel. It wasn't terrible or anything but is worth mentioning.  Also, a few days ago, I tried the parking brake on the car (this is the SS) and to my surprise it worked real good, I was thinking it wasn't the whole time. Laughing 

Anyway, when I got to Andover on 125, I had my window down and noticed an annoying rattle sound coming from the driver's back side of the car, when the rear wheel on that side hits a bump. It also even does it a little over dips in the road, vibrations, etc.

Today when I was poking around, I found one of the bottom rear sway bar bolts on the D/S is just hanging down below the bar, loose, and spins. I think one of the welded on nuts inside the u-channel is broken off up in there, maybe from the bump I hit?  To try and isolate things though, i put duct tape over the loose bolt and drove around...the car still made the noise essentially the same.  

I have to tear into things this week at some point, but I was wondering if there was a common problem with the rear brakes making a noise like this? It sounds like a metal nut being shaken around in a tin can.  I'm curious as to whether by applying the e-brake that I jogged something loose from it not being used, etc.

I checked the exh. heat sheild next to the fuel tank but that doesn't seem to be hitting anything or terribly loose (I know they're inherently flimsy...)
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Is the sway bar loose now that the bolt is dangling?
On the same page, where did the welded nut go?

I'm not familiar with the rear sway bars so I can't picture it in my head.

If it was a drum rear I'd say yup you broke something mashing on the e-brake. But there's really not a whole lot to break on a disc rear.

How about putting the rear up on jack stands and have someone put it in gear and let the tires spin a little above idle while you listen?

Did you check the impala caps for a loose lug nut?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Is the sway bar loose now that the bolt is dangling?
On the same page, where did the welded nut go?

I'm not familiar with the rear sway bars so I can't picture it in my head.

If it was a drum rear I'd say yup you broke something mashing on the e-brake. But there's really not a whole lot to break on a disc rear.

How about putting the rear up on jack stands and have someone put it in gear and let the tires spin a little above idle while you listen?

Did you check the impala caps for a loose lug nut?
if it has the older style mount I almost want to think it's bouncing inside the control arm.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 pm

When you engage the rear e brake it pulls a lever that forces both pads out at the bottom to contact the drum.
There are 4 pc's there...the lever, 2 ends that contact the pads & a little rod that sits between them
If the pads arent installed properly (under thier respective retaining clips) the 3 parts inside the drum (all but the lever) can fall out into the inside.
CAN...but wont always...catch & scrape like a mofo. If THAT doesnt happen, they could just rattle.
Pull the tire & drum...you'll know instantly if that was it....when I bought my DD the guy didnt have drums installed but left the pieces there....until they dislodged.

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks guys-

I will look for a lugnut now but I don't think that could be it, otherwise it would be making noise all the time? I can be driving the car at high speed and there's no noise, but when I hit a bump, it rattles.

The sway bar does move if I go nuts banging on it or pulling down on it. But the rattle sounds like a lighter tinny noise where the sway bar sounds like someone slammed the lid to a grand piano down by comparison...Smile  I do need to fix that.

The way the setup on the car works is there is a u-channel bracket that goes up inside of the LCA where it's open underneath. Thread cutting bolts go in from the sides to lock the bracket in place. On the bottom of the bracket, that's where the sway bar mounts up against. Bolts go through the bar and bracket, and on the inside (up on top) of the bracket in the "U", there are 2 nuts tack welded in there that the bolt goes in. It's sort of chintzy. I have a whole new setup of all that stuff, bolts, etc. someplace in the attic including new GM brackets that I was going to use in the white Caprice.

The bolt going through the bottom of the sway bar is still there, and the nut or whatever it's in up above is still attached, but I can't pull it out of the assembly. It's gonna have to be cut off I think because you can't get a wrench up inside the LCA the way it's together (I don't think). I'll have a better idea when I'm on my back under the cah.

Thanks for the info on the rear brakes Steve, sounds kinda like the brakes on my Tahoe, except the truck ones were shitty and GM went back to drums for at least a few years on them, LOL. The caliper just unbolts in typical fashion I assume on this thing? I've never messed with these rear discs before, have to get a manual for this car...heh
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 am

Just an update- I checked the lugs and they were fine (although thinking about it and guessing that if one did come off, it could rattle like that if centrifugal force held it in one spot at higher speeds). I put the car down in Malden so I can mess with it later this week, and the noise got WAY worse. It was a very loud rattle by the time I got off Route 1 and went down some badly paved surface roads, people were looking at me seeing what the noise was. I hope this means it will be easier to find. I forget if I mentioned it but applying the brakes doesn't change it, and I also applied the emergency brake a bit while rolling down a crappy street over bumps, and that affected it in no way either.

I'm guessing it's the sway bar coming loose. Have to dig out all my sway bar parts...I hope a cordless drill with a socket will get those thread cutting bolts in place so I can torque them.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am

You got a visual on your shock mounts?

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 am

sdstick wrote:
You got a visual on your shock mounts?
For once i have to agree with the old fart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am

No Moa wrote:

For once i have to agree with the old fart.
Dont make a habit of it...cuz it decreases my odds of being right

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

You'll forget all about this conversation my dinnertime anyway! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Jeez, didn't think of those either, I'll check them tomorrow. I was there again today and wailed on the bar with a mallet, it does rattle, it just feels like the noise was more tinny than the solid bar would make. I can literally pull the bar down about 1/4 where the one bolt is loose. That loose bolt does hang down like a half inch and clang around, but I wasn't sure if that was the noise.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Check the upper control arm bushings too. I noticed the ones on my new mess of a wagon are gone and over the slightest bump it makes all kind of banging noises. Lift up the car by the control arm and try to move the wheel left/right and up/down.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I believe it's fixed....haha.

Pain in the ass job for what it was but that was the problem, the bar and the loose bolt were clanging around. The U-brackets have nuts (the look like they're made of copper or something scratch  ) tack welded in them.  The bolts come up from underneath and screw into those nuts.  The car had smaller bolts with little nuts added up on top and the brackets had seen better days, which I guess was the reason for the diff bolts and added nuts up on top/inside the arm.  That nut had come undone.
I'll prob. do the other side of the cah since I have the pahts, just didn't have time today.  I used grade 8 bolts, lock washahs, and flat washahs, kehds.  I also applied some blue Loctite on the threads.  The bolts turned out to be perfect length!  So glad I had all this stuff laying around, I'd lost it last year...

The thread cutting bolts are a pain to put in laying on your back, you really can't get them started by hand and I had to use a regular cordless DeWalt since I don't have an impact.  I almost burnt the thing out doing it, but it worked.  Torqued them all down to what I believe spec is according to what I've seen on ISSF.

We'll see what happens, all is pretty quiet now, aside from a slight tick from the rear on bumps that was there before and is hardly noticeable. If this car rode softer it probably wouldn't do it, probably the heat shield or something.

Not bad for someone who has no clue what he's doing I suppose.  afro
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I like the brand on that Torque wrench lol
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Haha, I know, s'a Craffffsmin tohhk rench, kehd. It's the old kind but works for me and it's got a lifetime warranty on it...the other kind of torque wrenches apparently do not although I like using those better.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Yes, it has a lifetime on it because it can only PHYSICALLY break....

Noone would ever doubt the percision torque settigs right?

PS: I cut off all the BS & use mine for a breaker bar..torques are over-rated anyway

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Haha, I know, all it is is a spring, lol. I did notice it works as a nice breaker bar...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Haha, I know, all it is is a spring, lol.  I did notice it works as a nice breaker bar...
It works as a pretty decent hammer in a pinch too... Smile 
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Just a funny update to this, don't fiddle with your heat shields. I bent mine thinking initially that it was making the noise, and now it touches the tailpipe on that side and won't stay away. That POS is coming out tomorrow. I don't get why it even has the stupid thing there, there's 2 tailpipes and I don't recall seeing 2 on cars that had 2 pipes. Maybe the 9c1s did?
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

FWIW the heat shields on my RMW fell off years ago and it hasn't caught fire yet Cool 
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Every dual exhaust car had shields on both sides. If they were not there its because they fell off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rattle from around driver's rear wheel   Today at 8:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Rattle from around driver's rear wheel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1