BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

heater core flow restrictor alternative?

Go down 
+7
Tomz9C1
V8Killer
toomanytoyz
Matt Trakker
JaySS
silverfox103
FUN-9C1
11 posters
AuthorMessage
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

heater core flow restrictor alternative? Empty
PostSubject: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 pm

So I picked up my new-to-me FWB on Monday (LOVE it!), drove 6 miles, and the heater hose flow restrictor exploded when I punched it in L1 @ ~15mph...  It sure went good, though! Chirped the tires pretty good and I was happy until I saw a ton of steam billowing out from behind...

I've had tri-9 B-bodies for 17 years now and never had THAT happen, or even heard of it. But now that I'm looking at it, it looks like a pretty cheezy assembly and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Anyone know of any more robust aftermarket ones available, or how one works and maybe it's possible to make one?

I can't check out my old one as the internals are on the side of the road somewhere...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:47 pm

I would just go buy the correct one at a GM dealer.  That one lasted 17 years, which is not bad.  There are a lot of other components in the cooling system that fail long before that.  I always have a spare set of the "T" and the reducer and usually have them with me on long trips.

Tom
Back to top Go down
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-ALUMINUM-HEATER-WATER-FLOW-CONTROL-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-/300922016611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4610599363

A little more $, but they won't break.

- J
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm

JaySS wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-ALUMINUM-HEATER-WATER-FLOW-CONTROL-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-/300922016611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4610599363

A little more $, but they won't break.

- J

Thanks for that, those things have been in the back of my head as I have to flush my coolant soon in the SS, didn't know you could get one.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:17 pm

A brass 5/8" garden hose repair kit from your favorite hardware store and you're back in business for 5 bucks. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:46 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
A brass 5/8" garden hose repair kit from your favorite hardware store and you're back in business for 5 bucks. Wink

Even less "if you know a guy"  Wink
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 pm

So Bill, are you saying the restriction is not necessary?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I've run multiple cars at high rpms with no issues...
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Bill, good to know for a cheap fix.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Damn, that's almost up to junkyard pocket item status. Good to know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I got that part from Advance Auto. They call it a heater control valve. Cut the metal part off the hose and clamp it in.
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Good point, Tom. If I have to change it every 15 years, I can't bitch I guess.

Bill, thanks for the tip on the restrictor delete. I think I'll stick with the restrictor as long as they're available but good to know I can get by on just a section of pipe.

Jay, I wonder if that has internals or if it's just a straight through pipe made to look original. I'll write and ask.

I got all the hoses off tonight ready to replace with all new ones, then sat in the drivers seat with a beer (or "two") and screwed with all the buttons. Man I love this thing and I can't even drive it yet. I need another one to mod so I can keep this one original.... Smile  This is the first used car I ever bought that that I could take apart without a hammer and penetrating oil and a hacksaw. LOL
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 pm

I have one of the Billet restrictor's in my Light blue car. It has a slightly smaller diameter inside to restrict the flow. I purchased the first one at the 2011 Wagonfest. It was waiting in my car when the original broke. I have one in the wings for my MAB car when I have the cooling system apart for maintenance. I am not going to wait for it to break.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 pm

FUN-9C1 wrote:

I got all the hoses off tonight ready to replace with all new ones, then sat in the drivers seat with a beer (or "two") and screwed with all the buttons. Man I love this thing and I can't even drive it yet. I need another one to mod so I can keep this one original.... Smile  This is the first used car I ever bought that that I could take apart without a hammer and penetrating oil and a hacksaw. LOL

You're making me want one!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Keep it original? PSSSSHHHH. What is this, Barrett Jackson?

You can STILL mod, just keep all the original doo dads that make it original if you wanted to reverse it. 

Hell, I've got seats, wheels, bumpers, springs, hood, trunk lid, you name it. Every RPO code I took out, got bagged, labeled, and boxed up.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:16 am

Just to be clear....there arent any internals...just a smaller diameter to restrict the flow
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:27 am

sdstick wrote:
Just to be clear....there arent any internals...just a smaller diameter to restrict the flow

After I pulled over and opened the hood, I grabbed the hose to check it out and a spring and some other piece fell out, but I could never find where it landed. Maybe I'll go back to the scene and take anohter look. I'm sure it's still there if it made it to the ground, or maybe it's still in the engine bay somewhere. I'll try to find it.

If it's not from that then I wonder what it's from...  ???  It happened so fast, but I am 99% sure it came out of that restrictor.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 am

Now you have me 2nd guessing myself....I thought I knew....

What I CAN tell you is you can run with the non-internaled restrictor alone & be fine (did that for 20-30Kmiles)
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 am

Glad you got it all figured out... 

Rob, grab yourself a roadmaster climate control unit. You're gonna HATE the lack of control with the caddy one. You can't choose vent or floor or blend or anything with it. And it's an easy swap. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:39 am

Rob,  I have several of the RMS HVAC controls if you need one.
PM me .
Back to top Go down
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks for the offer. I want to keep this one unmolested for now. I still say I need another FWB, flat black with flat black steelies with chrome lug nuts and wide white walls that I can mod the heck out of...

Anyway, I was checking out my new AC Delco restrictor and there is a plate with a smaller hole in it that slides back and forth against spring pressure. I can't imagine why that spring is needed but it must have a purpose. Not to say you wouldn't be fine with just a small hole in a solid unit.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Must be so when you stomp it...the stress of getting hit with the flow is softened so it doesnt blow up like yours did?

I couldnt see anything like that when I looked at the spare I had

It was connected to a hose with a metal crimp so...it wasnt coming apart

Thanks for confirming thats where the spring came from....I wont be wrong next time...Razz
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah, steve's been having issues with verifying springs lately...
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for being there to remind me...Arrow

Bastid...Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heater core flow restrictor alternative?   heater core flow restrictor alternative? Empty

Back to top Go down

heater core flow restrictor alternative?
Page 1 of 1