BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

My car just started fing up REAL bad.

Go down 
+5
iceman3201
bammax
No Moa
toomanytoyz
Fishah
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fishah

Fishah

My car just started fing up REAL bad. Empty
PostSubject: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm

I was just driving home from Burritos....

I was about three minutes away from my house, driving through pretty steady rain... Few big puddles in the road that I blasted through and sent huge waves everywhere....

All of a sudden my car started stumbling and jerking and making a horrible noise from the exhaust. It had no power and sounded dead.

I don't have a wet opti; at least that I can be sure of.... What else could cause this? Maybe I got water into a plug wire? Maybe my car is fucked? I can't be having a car I can't use in the rain....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

White93ltz wrote:
I was just driving home from Burritos....

I was about three minutes away from my house, driving through pretty steady rain... Few big puddles in the road that I blasted through and sent huge waves everywhere....

All of a sudden my car started stumbling and jerking and making a horrible noise from the exhaust. It had no power and sounded dead.

I don't have a wet opti; at least that I can be sure of.... What else could cause this? Maybe I got water into a plug wire? Maybe my car is fucked? I can't be having a car I can't use in the rain....
Check you cap and rotor for moisture inside.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:19 am

Is it running ok now after sitting overnight?

Sucked in some water through the intake maybe?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 pm

my 94 is doing the same thing, rain, damp, and now i can't even get it started to move it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

My old Cavalier did the same thing. Turned out the pcm was mounted in the lower fender and got splashed so badly that it shorted out. The dealer replaced it under warantee and then put a leather cover over it to keep it from happening again. The car ended up dying for good a few months later due to a major electrical fualt some where between the pcm and trans.

It's possible that the pcm got a good bit of water inside it or at least in the connector and caused a short. It's not super likely but it is something to check into. Espeacially considering the iffy pcm location on a b-body.
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 pm

B. Mac, my distributor is buried so far back in the engine bay......

Brad, My PCM is actually an ECM and it's located inside the car.

Crovo, the car is still FRICKED a day later.

I dunno what 2 do guys....
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: my car just started fing REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:12 pm

bill check the coil and coil wire. my 87buick century did that twice and thats what it was. that has 3 coil packs on it. so ive got one oem left to go. about $200.00 a pop. at the dealer ship.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:41 pm

White93ltz wrote:
Few big puddles in the road that I blasted through and sent huge waves everywhere....
You ID EEE OOTTT Stimpy (in my best BRAIN voice)
White93ltz wrote:
I can't be having a car I can't use underwater....
fixxxxt
You KNOW its electrical.
Air hose with blow gun to displace moisture & get out the WD40 & spend some time

Are you the type thats always stranded in the flash floods
cause you make those 2 whale tails on the sides of the car
& a wake like the titanic???
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 6:42 pm

There is no residual moisture under my hood.

EXCEPT 1 spot. The charcoal canister is all wet at the bottom. Is the canister open on the bottom? This is the only place I see a wet area.

Also, I might have found a broken spark plug.... I gotta jack the car up to see. Will report back.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

did you look at the cap and rotor yet? could be the coil . check the ground wire for the ECT
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:29 pm

I checked the cap and rotor..... There was no visible moisture.

Also no moisture around the coil. Again, this stuff is so far back in the engine bay I don't see how it could get wet anyway.

Well..... I didn't find a broken plug. BUT, one of my spark plugs was HAND loose! Just jiggling around in there. The wires seem maybe a little loose too... Maybe not dunno.

A loose plug could definately cause this issue right? Especially after getting wet?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Unplug your underhood light (if you have one).

Shut off all outside lights.

Start it up tonight in the dark.

Find the lightening.

Replace that part.
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 pm

No luck Crovo. No light anywhere.

It is not happening at idle when I turn my car on. It doesn't even happen when I rev the engine in Neutral.

It seems now that when I hit the gas while driving the car just absolutely dies and sounds absolutely terrible. Then it starts lurching. The more throttle the worse it drives.

I'm not too happy bout this.
Mad
Back to top Go down
cmccabe

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:51 am

Is it still a TBI Car?
Back to top Go down
iceman3201

iceman3201

PostSubject: my car just started fing up real bad   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:50 am

bill i forgot that is a tbi. if it was mine. i would line up the crank pulley up to tdc on the pointer. then take off the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. damn its been so long since ive done this. hope im right. that will tell you if you have timing has jumped. good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://iceman3201@maine.rr.com
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 am

What does this horrible noise sound like?
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 am

you need to scan it and look at the TPS see if thats working normal and look at the O2 sensor readings see if their running lean
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 pm

I scanned it Bobby. All sensors were acting normal. 02 was switching back and forth between lean and rich.

It seems to be gradually getting better? I was able to get on it yesterday and actually hit 100mph. But now it bucks under steady acceleration.

If I floor it there will be a hesitation; then it goes. At steady acceleration the RPM's will sometimes jump 1500 or so in either direction.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 pm

well your fueling should be good but a buck is a miss. do you have any other coils around to try
Back to top Go down
cmccabe

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 am

White93ltz wrote:
I scanned it Bobby. All sensors were acting normal. 02 was switching back and forth between lean and rich.

It seems to be gradually getting better? I was able to get on it yesterday and actually hit 100mph. But now it bucks under steady acceleration.

If I floor it there will be a hesitation; then it goes. At steady acceleration the RPM's will sometimes jump 1500 or so in either direction.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I think it could be the fuel pressure regulator. I had this same problem and threw all sorts of parts at way back when I had an 85 Impala with a 4.3 tbi V-6 and then had the same problem with my 89 9C1.

Chris
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 5:46 am

The loose plug issue has come up but......
Only thing I've heard is Fisha blasts thru a few big puddles & the car starts stumbling and jerking. Sounds now like its gone from awful to better without any help.
I wish it would get sunny out to bake that car & entirely rule out the moisture issue.
Wish I could point a finger at something. Only time I had anything like that was when my opti was on its way out & the rain /moisture made it start hard. Once started it would stumble & sometimes even needed a restart to fire right.
Back to top Go down
alwyswntd1

alwyswntd1

PostSubject: problem   My car just started fing up REAL bad. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 10:50 am

hey this happened to me when i got my 95 9c1,and it turned out to be the maf i replaced and car went back to norm it would do all the things you mentioned hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My car just started fing up REAL bad.   My car just started fing up REAL bad. Empty

Back to top Go down

My car just started fing up REAL bad.
Page 1 of 1