BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

"Talk about your pieces of crap..."

Go down 
+12
V8Killer
GasTT
silverfox103
bowtiepimp
phantom 309
YachtDriver
1984twodoor
95brmw
FUN-9C1
toomanytoyz
sdstick
Matt Trakker
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." Empty
PostSubject: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 pm

So for a while my brother has been looking to get a different vehicle and was pestering me to find one for him. He was looking for a Town Car for a daily, or a Tahoe/pickup. After looking at a couple of TCs and Grand Marquis that turned out to be rusty underneath, beaten on, etc., he kind of gave up on the Ferd Panther platform cars and went back to looking at trucks here and there.

The other day I found a Lincoln I thought he should take a gander at and told him about it, and he didn't do anything about it...but then for some reason went up on Sunday and bought the car. Laughing

After I (a Chevy guy, mind you) saw the thing in person, I realized I even would have bought it. It's actually a pretty nice car.

I've always liked these square 90s Town Cars. They always remind me of some car chase or organized crime related shootout in a movie.

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 601685_645334873716_625107826_n

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 934894_645334843776_1965694596_n

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 983722_645334724016_154892752_n

(Seats aren't ripped, they're actually really, really nice, just couldn't get a good photo)
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 945448_645334709046_1682862982_n

It's a 1996 Town Car Cartier. It's LOOOOOOOADED. It's kind of like a FWB inside, has those mirrors that fold out of the rear ceiling and stuff, kinda funny. I love the color, it's sort of a pearlescent metallic beige. The paint is excellent but needs at least wax. Chrome is nice, wheels are nice, everything.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, it's not from New England. Laughing

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 984057_645334793876_1433472987_n

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 969343_645334773916_1469841606_n

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 9999_645334719026_1964510879_n

"Arrrr...ya call that'n A-arrrm?" -Sea Captain from the Simpsons
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 576692_645334788886_1139438401_n

The car is from the Seattle area. Some guy who worked for Microsoft I believe moved back here from WA a little while ago (all of his vehicles including this had WA plates on them) and had this car shipped back to hang onto it. He purchased it from an older guy who was the original owner and drove it for a while, put new tires, brakes, shocks, and had it aligned and a few other things. I don't think he did anything else, but the original owner apparently took very good care of the thing. The seller said he used to rent these in the 90s to drive to FL on business and always liked them, so he bought one for the heck of it when he needed another car because his "special lady friend"or whatever kept using his other car to go to work. When he got back here, he had like 3-4 cars and a Harley, and had no room so he sold this car.

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 944589_645334669126_84999725_n

I knew these things were troublemakers as far as the plastic intakes. That's what always kept me away. This car was so clean and he wanted one for whatever reason so I figure worst case Ontario the thing blows, well whatever, the car is mint, it's worth fixing. It's not some rotted out 900K mile livery car that smells like a sick cross between curry, farts, and one of those huge gold plastic crown air fresheners inside.

It also has the rear air suspension. I don't remember exactly what it's called on the Town Car, but I think it was called the Performance and Handling Package or something like that on the CV and GM. This also means the car has dual exhaust and maybe a few other things, maybe the wheels that are on it (they are 16" instead of 15s). I know the air suspension frightens people, but I think it's kinda cool. It works. If it ever gave up the ghost you can swap in coils if you don't want to bother with the bags.

So I look under the hood when I go with my brother to pick it up and I'm like, WTF? It has all new stuff in here! Nothing here did the seller mention to my brother. Someone did the intake already with the updated 2002ish intake. The coolant crossover is metal, bolted to the plastic intake, instead of just one whole plastic intake. These aren't great either, but supposedly they'll get you 80-100K if they blow someplace else. It's a Ford one apparently too, I did some reading and they have brass inserts for the coil packs to mount to. There is an aftermarket Dorman version you can also buy that's cheaper. It also has new plug wires, the fuel rails look brand new so I'm not sure what that's about, the fuel pressure regulator (I think that's what it is) appears new, the alternator looks replaced, I'm assuming the plugs are replaced, I forget what else I saw.

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 934627_645334674116_2060450468_n

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 971988_645334823816_1020729310_n

This is the crossover I believe...
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 10577_645334828806_1143675414_n

So I know it's a Ferrrd, and not a B-body, but I figured some of you would get a kick out of any large RWD body on frame American sedan that doesn't have Flintstone floors in it. I personally don't even think he should drive this car in the snow. The only things I can see overtly needing attention are the headliner is detatched at the back glass, like every one I remember sitting behind in traffic, and it needs some general cleaning, but mainly because the interior is such a light color.

It drives really nice, rides nice, and you can barely hear it running. And dare I say, as a general observation, it seems like a well-built and screwed together motor vehicle. And best of all, ALL OF THOSE LITTLE BULBS IN THE TAILLIGHTS GOING ACROSS THE CAR WORK! They aren't all burnt out! That used to drive me nuts seeing these on the road regularly with like 4 burnt out bulbs.

In closing, for some reason, I really, REALLY, want a Boston Cream donut right now.
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 767_645334654156_1299761260_n

Laughing
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 pm

I was with you until you went all Crovo on me... Suspect

Matt Trakker wrote:
...........I love the color, it's sort of a pearlescent metallic beige.......

Ya.... face palm...thank god the sun wasnt out... Cool
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey, I think I might've actually gone Crovo overboard on that one, because I recited a rather heartfelt soliloquy about paint on a car that I don't even own.

For a split second I was like "Yeah I think I want to go look for one of these now"...then I realized none of them around here look like this anymore. Laughing
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Wow, that thing looks like a score! What's he want for it? Razz

Hey at least we all know what the paint looks like now. Wink

Oh, and we'll be seeing our resident friendly Canadian in 3... 2... 1... eh?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
FUN-9C1

FUN-9C1

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Nice looking car. I'd keep it out of the snow, too. Looks like it's never seen it yet.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Nice plow, Rob! Razz
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Wow, look at those floor pans! I've been looking at panthers lately as well, would be nice to have something newer that's body on frame and RWD Very Happy

BTW, love the title Laughing ----------> Pieces of crap
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 pm

95brmw wrote:
Wow, look at those floor pans! I've been looking at panthers lately as well, would be nice to have something newer that's body on frame and RWD Very Happy

BTW, love the title Laughing ----------> Pieces of crap

I still can't believe how clean the thing is underneath. I'm going to have to suggest going out to eat and taking a ride in this soon to get the full experience of it.

We used to have a 1982 Lincoln, it was a "Mark VI", basically a Town Car but with hideaway headlights and a spare tire hump. It was a 4 door with a brown coach roof on it, but was a similar color to this and had the same color scheme inside except for this brown shag carpeting. It was really odd, I think some sort of a special edition.

Anyway, this car really reminds me of it and even though that old Lincoln was not a performance oriented car, it was so quiet and smooth, it was just fun to drive in that way I guess.

And Dave, I'm really glad someone got what I was referencing with that title... Laughing
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 pm

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." 934627_645334674116_2060450468_n

Those regulators go bad apparently. That's what the ford dudes say. The intake he has should last him for a while. When it blows go with the doorman or go with the "PI" swap and go all out with it! Cool

It will separate near the alt. mount. It pulls the intake apart. Watch the temp guage if it has one, that's how I saved mine when it blew!

Sweet car, I'd rather a clean GM but that thing is loaded. If I ever get another 4.6 ford after the cougar, it'll be the Marauder but that thing is a close second.

Oh, one more thing, Ford had really ugly wheels in the 90s
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm

LOL, I actually like the wheels on this car!

So is the PI swap for Police Interceptor? And NPI is the uh "not a police interceptor" intake? Why go with the Dorman, isn't the Ford updated one better? lol

I'm wondering what has actually been done to this car if someone went through that trouble there alone.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL, I actually like the wheels on this car!

So is the PI swap for Police Interceptor? And NPI is the uh "not a police interceptor" intake? Why go with the Dorman, isn't the Ford updated one better? lol

I'm wondering what has actually been done to this car if someone went through that trouble there alone.

PI is Performance Improved IIRC anything after 2000-2002ish was PI. Different heads on stangbangs etc. There is TONS of info on the swap on CV.net and TCCOA due to the insane usage of the 4.6 over the years.

The Dorman updated one is just as good as the ford one according to the blue ballers, er, I mean ovalers and cheaper. They will all crack after 100K with that DUMB alt. mount.

"Lets mount something tugged on by a drive belt to plastic" wasn't the best engineering ford has done. Their rapid rust truck body panels are much better in design. Laughing

EDIT: Closer inspection shows that the alt is mounted to the metal of the crossover. I can't even remember if mine is like that. I also don't care Smile

But that is a good intake then. It should last forever.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Alright....leave the vehicle alone... Razz probably rides like a dream

Pretty sure its not gonna be racing around town.. I love you

Just ridin fat & happy.. sunny

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:50 pm

I hope so. He just told me he wants to put HIDs in it. I'm like don't the headlights work good? face palm

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm

HID's = Ford mod
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Matt,
As you know I have a TC as my daily beater. I am over 230k at this time. Good cars that are undervalued by a lot.

DO NOT PUT HID's into the headlights unless you have a HID relay kit. These cars use a LCM (Lighting Control Module) It's extremely sensitive and if you put too much load on it you will have to replace it. It's not a fun job nor is it inexpensive. It's a sealed unit with all of the lighting relays in one place. Some people have repaired/upgraded theirs but it's a chore.

I just put a set of Silverstar's in and never looked back. The headlights are standard 9007 bulbs and give out more light than the 9004's found in caprices. But if they are older bulbs I would replace them as they may have become dim over the years. I have no real complaints about my headlights after I changed the bulbs.

These cars are great if you run them the way the factory intended. If you mess with them it can get expensive very quickly.

I am glad to see the pictures of this car. Not may favorite color but it looks really nice.

It looks like it even has the rare factory heated seats. Does it have the auto dimming rear view mirrors? Where the exterior and interior dim? Also does it have the memory drivers seat?

BTW in late 1996 - early 1997 they removed the lights across the tail. So if you see a 1997 it did not have the little lights that go from one side to the other.

Also the 1990 - 1994 didn't have the lights there. It was a two year only thing.

1996 featured two of the rarest factory options and one that I would consider purchasing if the opportunity was right. The Spinnaker edition and the Cypress edition. They are kind of neat in their own way. Special interiors and every option available from the factory.

And of course the Jack Nickolas editions from 1992 - 1997.

It's a weird car line. As the platform ages they remove options instead of adding them.
In 1996 they went to the plastic intake and removed the cigarette lighters from the rear doors.
In 1997 they removed the full lights from the tails. They didn't offer any of the special editions except the Jack Nickolas and I believe that was for Hertz.

Oh well interesting car.

Go to the Lincolns Online forum if you have any questions. They seem to have everything sorted out there pretty well.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 pm

sdstick wrote:
Rust = Ford mod

Fixt

Steve, don't you have HIDS lol
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Who died and made this a Furd Furom? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

As doug said,. undervalued cars,.

We have a 1999 cartier,.same tri coat pearlescent ,. supposedly has a few more horses,. with dual exhaust etc,.
I did the Intake on it,. added cai,. the car will give an honest 28mpg on the highway at 75 mph,.
and handles pretty well,. has a full load, remote 12 pack cd changer etc,. heated seats yada yada,.
We had a drag race with our old gold rusty run of the mill roady wagon VS the carty, eh?,.
The lincoln bone stock the roady had cai, muff delete,.and a tune,.
The lincoln led by 3 lengths or better till about 40mph,. then the roady just motored on by,. we shut them down at 100mph because the lincoln is 107 governed,.
by then the wagon was a good 10 lengths ahead and still pulling,.

The lincoln is the only vehicle i,ve been able to give the wife to drive, that she hasn't killed,.

women and fords,. meh,. what more can i say,...

Nick
"Talk about your pieces of crap..." MVC-908S
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Surprised Rolling Eyes

Miata x 2

Subaru

BMW

Subaru again

s10

BMW again...

Should we continue
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." MVC-908S

That body style...in triple black. Arrow
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 am

1984twodoor wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Surprised Rolling Eyes

Miata x 2

Subaru

BMW

Subaru again

s10

BMW again...

Should we continue

Yeah? Check the list again. No Fords. Wink

So what was your point again? Razz
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 6:19 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Surprised Rolling Eyes

Miata x 2

Subaru

BMW

Subaru again

s10

BMW again...

Should we continue

Miata is Mazda......Mazda is bed with Ford........

You brought filth and shame to such a holy place sir......
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am

bowtiepimp wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Surprised Rolling Eyes

Miata x 2

Subaru

BMW

Subaru again

s10

BMW again...

Should we continue

Miata is Mazda......Mazda is bed with Ford........

You brought filth and shame to such a holy place sir......

You're right Chris!.

I remember in the mid 70's Ford had a small pickup, I think it was called a Courier. It was a rebadged Mazda pickup. I was working at US Nuclear Reservation, in Hanford Washington (state), on a nuclear power plant being built. You did not dare to drive a foreign car on a construction site with thousands of workers. If you did, you wouldn't recognize your car going home. One guy had a Mazda pickup, I know he took everything that said Mazda off and replaced them with Ford emblems. Chevrolet is not innocent either, they did the same thing with their Luv pickup.

Tom

Last edited by silverfox103 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 am

How about the ranger/b series, escape/tribute, explorer/navajo? What a Face
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

So technically, subaru is gm, then... Wink
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 am

silverfox103 wrote:

I remember in the mid 70's Ford had a small pickup, I think it was called a Courier. It was a rebadged Mazda pickup. I was working at US Nuclear Reservation, in Hanford Washington (state), on a nuclear power plant being built. You did not dare to drive a foreign car on a construction site with thousands of workers. If you did, you wouldn't recognize your car going home. One guy had a Mazda pick, I know he took everything that said Mazda off and replaced them with Ford emblems. Chevrolet is not innocent either, they did the same thing with their Luv pickup.

Tom

Yeah but Chevy at least got even, they built S-10's and sold em to Isuzu as the "Hombre"

"Talk about your pieces of crap..." Isuzu-10

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah, the whole globalization thing is nothing new. Fifty years ago GM Canada was shipping complete-knockdown-kits (to avoid tariffs) of Pontiacs with RHD to Australia to be assembled by Holden, with a modified Impala dashboard and drivetrain. Remember the Dodge Omni? It was based on a Talbot/Simca from Europe, and although it looked just like it and was developed by I believe Chrysler-Europe at the same time, the parts didn't really interchange. The original engines in them were 1.7 liter VW engines, and the subframe and engine assembly from a Rabbit would directly swap into an Omni/Horizon. Chrysler developed the 2.2 for the K cars and put them in the Omnis, and Chrysler developed the 2 door L-body hatchbacks which the Shelby Charger was developed upon.
You could get a South African market Dodge Duster for a while, Brazilian versions of the original Ford Falcon were produced until at least the mid 1980s with a more Euro style nose, Brazil had the Dodge Dart for longer than the US did, and I think the original Nova was sold there for a long time as well. Ford has had a majority stake in Mazda for decades. The last gen Fusion is based on the same platform as the Mazda6, and both cars used a Ford V6. Ford was putting Mazda 5 speeds in Broncos/F150s about 25 years ago, The last Ford Taurus was actually derived from a Volvo Cars platform (Volvo Trucks was not purchased by Ford). Ford spun off Volvo to the Chinese, and Jaguar is now an Indian company. I could go on, I had to do a project on Ferd in school. Laughing
The globalization is dizzying. The Duramax in GM trucks is mostly Isuzu developed, however Isuzu and GM aren't getting along right now and Isuzu has left the US market, for cars anyway as far as I know. GM sold Fuji Heavy Industries to Toyota (I think sold, maybe it was some stock trading or whatever it's called) so S000bar00000s are now Toyota products. They have that same effeminate beep sound when you use the keyless entry system as a Toyota, and the Scion FR-S(?) and Subaru BRZ are now the same car essentially.
Don't forget the NUMMI plant that was in CA which built the Corollas and Al's Geo!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm surprised you can walk & chew gum with all that ish rattling around in your head

So Mike's the photographer & your the.....historian? Arrow

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm

sdstick wrote:
I'm surprised you can walk & chew gum with all that ish rattling around in your head

That isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I really wish I could find a way to profit from that... Laughing

Which Mike and which photography?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
sdstick wrote:

That isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I really wish I could find a way to profit from that... Laughing

Which Mike and which photography?

The stalker photos!

And Matt how the hell did you spew that out without taking a single breath. Thank god you are good with punctuation or we would all be Effffffed reading that.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

I was in until Crovo asked how much, now I'm out. Be satin black with red wheels in no time.

My father has a red 1990 Lincoln that my gram bought him before she passed, car is nice. Spent huge $ because the column broke, now it has a bad rear axle. Trying to find one for 6 months.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
Yeah, the whole globalization thing is nothing new. Fifty years ago GM Canada was shipping complete-knockdown-kits (to avoid tariffs) of Pontiacs with RHD to Australia to be assembled by Holden, with a modified Impala dashboard and drivetrain. Remember the Dodge Omni? It was based on a Talbot/Simca from Europe, and although it looked just like it and was developed by I believe Chrysler-Europe at the same time, the parts didn't really interchange. The original engines in them were 1.7 liter VW engines, and the subframe and engine assembly from a Rabbit would directly swap into an Omni/Horizon. Chrysler developed the 2.2 for the K cars and put them in the Omnis, and Chrysler developed the 2 door L-body hatchbacks which the Shelby Charger was developed upon.
You could get a South African market Dodge Duster for a while, Brazilian versions of the original Ford Falcon were produced until at least the mid 1980s with a more Euro style nose, Brazil had the Dodge Dart for longer than the US did, and I think the original Nova was sold there for a long time as well. Ford has had a majority stake in Mazda for decades. The last gen Fusion is based on the same platform as the Mazda6, and both cars used a Ford V6. Ford was putting Mazda 5 speeds in Broncos/F150s about 25 years ago, The last Ford Taurus was actually derived from a Volvo Cars platform (Volvo Trucks was not purchased by Ford). Ford spun off Volvo to the Chinese, and Jaguar is now an Indian company. I could go on, I had to do a project on Ferd in school. Laughing
The globalization is dizzying. The Duramax in GM trucks is mostly Isuzu developed, however Isuzu and GM aren't getting along right now and Isuzu has left the US market, for cars anyway as far as I know. GM sold Fuji Heavy Industries to Toyota (I think sold, maybe it was some stock trading or whatever it's called) so S000bar00000s are now Toyota products. They have that same effeminate beep sound when you use the keyless entry system as a Toyota, and the Scion FR-S(?) and Subaru BRZ are now the same car essentially.
Don't forget the NUMMI plant that was in CA which built the Corollas and Al's Geo!

The old NUMMI plant is owned by Tesla now. Wasn't the Nova II in the 80s part of the NUMMI thing as it was basically just a Chevy badged Corolla?
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am

bladerunner wrote:
Wasn't the Nova II in the 80s part of the NUMMI thing as it was basically just a Chevy badged Corolla?

Yup, the Nova (no II) was the first vehicle built at NUMMI in 1984. And I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Vibe Smile.

See, I can stalk and I know the history Razz

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

OK....but please dont prove you can talk a dog off a meat wagon or Matt will have an identity crisis... Razz
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm

sdstick wrote:
OK....but please dont prove you can talk a dog off a meat wagon or Matt will have an identity crisis... Razz

huh?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Do you read (& follow ) the threads? Rolling Eyes

That was to Mike....photographer at large....who has some historian in him....ugh....nevermind.. Neutral ... Smile
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't have time to read all this stuff, unlike you, in the home I know you have lots of senior activitys and one is reading forums. Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 am

I took a ride in this thing w/my brother up through Hampton/Rye Beach, then down through Newmarket and stuff to Ipswich and home. What a fun car to ride in, I have to say. Everything works/lights up inside, has lumbar/seat heaters, weird little compartments, lights inside of the ashtrays in the doors (like in the tray you would dump ashes INTO), the lighter socket hole actually had a light down inside it, lights like the Roadmasters have in the doorhandles, lots of little accoutrements as they say. It's funny you literally cannot hear or barely feel it running when it's idling in park, it's eerie. I like the digital gauge cluster it has too. The seats roll back really far in this thing, it's not as bad as a couple of German cars I've been in have the seats go back so damned far that the seat nearly hits the rear seat bottom, but you can definitely stretch your legs in it.

It rides nice too, smooth and comfortable but not nauseating. You can feel the expansion joints but it still glides along. I found out the package it has is either the "Ride Control" (I guess Ford didn't want to offend the little old ladies by calling it the Handling and Performance Package) or the Touring Edition...it's kind of like the B4U on the Caprices, like a tow package I guess. It seems to have a tow-haul button on the shifter (?) so I don't know if that's part of anything, the dual exhaust might have been on all of them so I don't know...but a different air suspension with the 16" wheels was part of it, I believe 3.27 posi, bigger sway bars, and a power steering cooler?

Found a bunch of old paperwork from the Redmond and Bellevue WA areas in the glove compartment, the original keyring from the Lincoln dealer...I guess the P/O got the new tires at Les Schwab...I've always heard of that store on forums where people were trying to find whitewalls but had never seen one in person. Laughing

What I thought was interesting is the digital clock is the same exact damned one my father's 1985 Bronco XLT had. Which means it likely came in the new for 1980 Bronco as well. It was just in a more updated housing.

Anyway, I like it...I'd buy one if I found a clean example that was a good price...and it wasn't about to blow coolant all over the place... Shocked

It'd have to be a 95/96 with the extra taillights though... Smile

Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 am

If its anything like its panther sister CV, the towing switch on the shifter you are referring to would probably be the O/D on-off button.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 3:28 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
If its anything like its panther sister CV, the towing switch on the shifter you are referring to would probably be the O/D on-off button.

Heh, what would be the point of that? Is there no "D" on the PRNDL in addition to O/D on those? I didn't drive it so I wasn't paying close attention
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
MASShole9C1 wrote:

Heh, what would be the point of that? Is there no "D" on the PRNDL in addition to O/D on those? I didn't drive it so I wasn't paying close attention

Correct. I'm not sure about your bros car tho.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 pm

As an owner of a 95 it's
PRND21

The Switch on the stalk is for Overdrive. When you push the button the dashboard displays OD/OFF
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:40 pm

YachtDriver wrote:
As an owner of a 95 it's
PRND21

The Switch on the stalk is for Overdrive. When you push the button the dashboard displays OD/OFF

This Arrow
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Oh,
Another weird Ford thing...
When you are in 2. You are in second gear. It won't downshift or upshift.

You notice really quickly when you are in this gear because it won't accelerate off the line.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 pm

YachtDriver wrote:
Oh,
Another weird Ford thing...
When you are in 2. You are in second gear. It won't downshift or upshift.

You notice really quickly when you are in this gear because it won't accelerate off the line.

Lay into it going uphill. If you don't the first time it happens you'll know why. Go ahead, try to gently hold the throttle position you have going uphill at say 30MPH. The 4R70W is the most annoying automagic ever.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm

selecting 2nd gear manual, is a ford thing for winter time,.  
gives you better startability on slippery surface,..
most 4l60e's are that way too,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Talk about your pieces of crap..."   "Talk about your pieces of crap..." Empty

Back to top Go down

"Talk about your pieces of crap..."
Page 1 of 1