BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Brakes EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Brakes EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Brakes EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Brakes EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Brakes EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Brakes EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Brakes EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Brakes EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Brakes EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Brakes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Brakes   Brakes EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:57 pm

So I put the SS wheels back on this afternoon and I expected to find the brakes all shot to heck because it kinda felt like they were getting worn as far as low pedal feel and some pulsation. They did feel a little "grindy" under hard braking getting off bad highway exits with no deceleration lanes, places like that.
To my surprise, the rear brakes look freakin' NEW...and the fronts aren't even bad. The front rotors have some wear/glazing but they are still very thick with no grooves in them, and the front pads have a lot of meat on them, the squeal tabs aren't even near the rotor.

I noticed that a pass. side pad is WICKED loose, I can move it around with my hand, the ears need to be hammered down. I heard this pad rattling as I drove and I knew it was like that. I'm going to fix that tomorrow. However, I heard squealing from over there too that sounded like a wear indicator. Can a loose pad vibrate and create that sound too?

I think I'll have to pull the rotors anyway since I was told there was wheel bearing play when I got an alignment, but I guess I could have them cut?

Anyway, what kinda pads and rotors do you guys like to use? I know of the threads on the big board that Navy Lifer has put together but it's a lot to look through.

I WAS going to get some Delco rotors and the Delco ceramic pads, but if I don't absolutely have to I don't want to spend the money! Laughing
Maybe I need to do that brake bolt mod thing? scratch
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm

You just answered your own problem. A loose wheel bearing kinda sounds like wear indicator scraping.
However if you are getting pulsing feeling while heavy braking you might have a warped rotor.

I'm doing all new brakes and rotors on the wagon tomorrow. I did the rear shoes and spring kits today.
I don't remember what I bought for stuff. It was the top premium stuff offered though.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptySat May 18, 2013 6:37 am

The best thing to do is to put a jack under the frame and get the tire just off the ground. Now wiggle it up and down and side to side. Light pressure to detect wheel bearing issues. Heavy pressure to detect steering or suspension issues. As for the brake bolt mod. Yes. That is why the rears look so good. They are only doing 5% of the work, instead of 35%. The first thing I noticed after doing it, is that the car stays flatter during braking, with a lot less nose dive.

BTW. If you are just snugging up the bearing. Do it with the tire on the car, pop the center cap, pop the dust cap, pill the cotter pin, if no grease is required, tighten the nut til tire won't turn with light pressure, then loosen one quarter turn. You can go slightly beyond to get the new cotter pin in the hole. If they need grease, I take the nut, plate, and outer bearing off, and use a grease gun to fill the cavity with grease, regrease the outer and reinstall.

If replacing brakes and bearings, use Timpken bearings, and seals. And there are many good brake companies out there, but I use Autozone Duralast Gold. They have a price advantage, and a limited lifetime warranty. Oh, and they work well.

Another thing to consider is swapping out the old brake fluid with fresh.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:21 am

Get your rotors cut down and use AC deco ceramic pads. I have them on my Fleetwood and it stops well and there's not a lot of brake dust which is important to me. Also, go to advance auto parts and get the brake hardware kit. It comes with new anti rattle clips, sleeves for the caliper bolts and new bushings for the bolt holes. You need one kit per side. Use that disc brake quiet stuff, or what I do is put some bearing grease on the back of the pads. That combined with the new hardware kit will make them silent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Brakes
Page 1 of 1