BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 95 9C1
Yesterday at 12:53 pm by MalibuSSwagon

» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:38 am by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 am by silverfox103

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

» Allagash Wilderness Waterway Canoe Trip
Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 am by boojum

» CraigsList car finder
Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 pm by MalibuSSwagon

» For all B-bodies
Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 am by sdstick

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 WTB Impala SS rear end

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Looking for a disc rear complete with no BS

Tall order but I've discovered that the one I have is ah...toast. Surprised

So I'm on the lookout, we all know it's going to a good home! So keep your eyes peeled! I really don't want to put a 7.5" drum rear in this car after all of this...


TIA guys!
Back to top Go down
sdstick



Posts : 4275
Join date : 2009-03-20
Location : Revere, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Details?

While we look for what you need of course.... Arrow

_________________
Steve


96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4471
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Matt, there is a guy on Longroof that has one for sale. The issue being, he lives in PA, however, he comes up to MA fairly frequently for work, I met him a couple weeks ago to swap some parts. If you want I can put you in contact with him.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog



Posts : 2124
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 35
Location : Warren, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Didn't you just PM Doug about that one he had last night!?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

sdstick wrote:
Details?

While we look for what you need of course.... Arrow

Well, stock used 3.08 is all I care about. Posi working would be sweet, but even if it didn't that's not a big deal. I mostly want to set the car and the brake system up for disc once and call it a day. So I just want a rear from a Tri-9 SS basically Laughing Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool

Cadet57 wrote:
Matt, there is a guy on Longroof that has one for sale. The issue being, he lives in PA, however, he comes up to MA fairly frequently for work, I met him a couple weeks ago to swap some parts. If you want I can put you in contact with him.

What's his price? If nothing up here pans out then I'll be interested in following this lead! Thanks Justin!

Ironfistdog wrote:
Didn't you just PM Doug about that one he had last night!?

Old threads have old info unfortunately, so that one's gonzo!
Back to top Go down
sdstick



Posts : 4275
Join date : 2009-03-20
Location : Revere, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I meant details on the bad rear you have...repairable?

_________________
Steve


96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool


Sorry for the threadjack, but did the 8.5 come in the V6 cars because they had a higher gear ratio?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 pm

sdstick wrote:
I meant details on the bad rear you have...repairable?

Probably, but I have a lot on my plate and that's not going to be added...yet. The housing itself may be junk. It would have to be taken down to nothing and I don't have the time, space, or money to get it back together.

Matt Trakker wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Much easier than trying to find a decent boxy 8.5 out of a V6 car or 9C1 and converting it to disc blah blah blah. Got any in the parts hoard??? Cool


Sorry for the threadjack, but did the 8.5 come in the V6 cars because they had a higher gear ratio?

I've seen them with the 8.5, the 305 cars didn't seem to have it. I would assume the gearing might have something to do with that. I'm sure there are plenty of variances throughout the years and how things are optioned out.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 pm

So ah...


Who's near Worcester with a pick-em-up tee ruck? Cool

Details will follow if I get any bights for this!
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine



Posts : 512
Join date : 2010-11-16
Age : 59
Location : Wrentham

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 am

The boxy "B" car's rear wheel cavity is a good bit smaller than that found in the 93-96 B-body.

You might take some measurements before opting for WX3 housings instead of 94-96 9C1 housings.

When I fabbed up the 9" for my white box I made it narrower than the stock civi-box dimensions.

The rationale was that my spare tire, which was the biggest size
(in both height & width) that would fit within the front housing without rubbing,
must also fit the rear wheel house without shredding.

A wheel/tire combo larger than stock mounted on the wider SS Impala rear axle assembly
would possibly hit the Boxy's rear wheel opening trim strip lip even when folded up and in.

YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog



Posts : 2124
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 35
Location : Warren, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:46 am

If I didn't go for a "joyride" in my c10 I'd have a tee ruck ready to go,
What did u find? Might be able to check it out.

Also if wx3 does NOT work I have a 9c1 rear hanging out in the garage, BUT.... Coil perches are not on it
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 am

It does indeed fit, I've heard of plenty of people doing the swap and seen the proof (pics etc)

I'm not building quite the car you are Glen, so my tires aren't going to be steam rollers.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1



Posts : 4207
Join date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 am

Lol @ steam rollers

It begs the question. If a WX3 rear wouldn't exactly fit in the box cavity, why do we see seemingly flawless frame swaps with said rear end or equivalent width rear end?

I support the 9C1 rear end idea, certainly if one plans to "tuck" a set of meats.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Lol @ steam rollers

It begs the question. If a WX3 rear wouldn't exactly fit in the box cavity, why do we see seemingly flawless frame swaps with said rear end or equivalent width rear end?

I support the 9C1 rear end idea, certainly if one plans to "tuck" a set of meats.

Lots of dudes over on the other site seem to have great success doing it with the WX3 rear end so I'm not too concerned honestly. There is a magazine article IIRC it was car craft who had a full parts list and all of that on what you had to do to get it done. It also came out successful so I have no fear about it really.
Back to top Go down
cloud 9



Posts : 562
Join date : 2009-10-03
Age : 48
Location : Dover, NH

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 pm

So the toasted rear ....is it a disc rear and does it have the backing plates? And if so would you be willing to sell them?
Back to top Go down
V8Killer



Posts : 1690
Join date : 2009-03-12
Age : 45
Location : Southern, NH

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:53 pm


FWIW, I do know first hand that a WX3 rear axle works in a boxy, with SS wheels, even with 275/40/17's on it.

Matt I have a 9C1 rear you can have if ya want it. Needs a rebuild, no backing plates.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm

cloud 9 wrote:
So the toasted rear ....is it a disc rear and does it have the backing plates? And if so would you be willing to sell them?

Has one good one and one that's pretty freakin bent. Once I figure out if I need them and if you honestly want to mess with the trouble of searching for the other good one thy'll be available.

V8Killer wrote:

FWIW, I do know first hand that a WX3 rear axle works in a boxy, with SS wheels, even with 275/40/17's on it.

Matt I have a 9C1 rear you can have if ya want it. Needs a rebuild, no backing plates.

Sweet! I'm not even planning tires that large!

I would take you up on that, but I need a quick turn around. I'm looking to get the chassis rolling to cross it off the list and button up the body. Then the magic can happen!

I think I may have found a good rear but I have to work out getting it so we will see what this week brings.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat May 04, 2013 11:07 am

Still looking for a truck in Worcester area Embarassed The ones I borrowed in the past are either junk, out of town, or plain 'ol unobtainable.


I have a line on a rear and I can't get out there WITH a vehicle to get it...which really sucks. Evil or Very Mad


LMK if anyone can help.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4471
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat May 04, 2013 11:36 am

1984twodoor wrote:
Still looking for a truck in Worcester area Embarassed The ones I borrowed in the past are either junk, out of town, or plain 'ol unobtainable.


I have a line on a rear and I can't get out there WITH a vehicle to get it...which really sucks. Evil or Very Mad


LMK if anyone can help.

I know this guy with a wagon AND a trailer. And I think this person might be able to help you out.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sat May 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Still looking for a truck in Worcester area Embarassed The ones I borrowed in the past are either junk, out of town, or plain 'ol unobtainable.


I have a line on a rear and I can't get out there WITH a vehicle to get it...which really sucks. Evil or Very Mad


LMK if anyone can help.

I know this guy with a wagon AND a trailer. And I think this person might be able to help you out.

That guy should PM his number and me and him can work something out Wink
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Call off the search. Rear end found, purchased, and delivered! Thanks Justin! Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: WTB Impala SS rear end   Today at 4:54 pm

Back to top Go down
 
WTB Impala SS rear end
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» rear gear question for impala ss axel
» WTB Impala SS rear end
» F.S. eibach rear springs for my ss
» Parting out 95 DGGM Impala SS
» LOL "cop accelerator chip" makes this caprice go 180 MPH!!!! LOL

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: NE marketplace :: Parts for sale or wanted-
Jump to: