BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Tools for Frame Rust EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Tools for Frame Rust

Go down 
+2
Ironfistdog
bladerunner
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bladerunner

bladerunner

Tools for Frame Rust Empty
PostSubject: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 pm

So once the nice weather hits, I want to do some work on surface rust on my frame. Looking to finish the Impala as well as my truck. Typically I have just used a wire brush or just borrowed a wire brush attachment for my angle grinder. My truck though has some more heavy scaling on it and I really want to clean it up to get a clear picture on any pitting. Here is a picture of the frame rail under the cab of my truck to give you an idea of what I am trying to rectify:

Tools for Frame Rust IMG_20130316_165448

I was thinking of getting a die grinder as they tend to be smaller and thus better suited for tight spaces like this. What would you recommend, just wire wheel it?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Park it on a tarp and get a small portable sand blaster.
Bag of sand is CHEAP! buy a used one on CL or a harbor freight one.
Fast and thorough.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I had a buddy tell me those cheap blasters don't last, but honestly, I will probably only need it once or twice anyway. Cool, I will give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

It's just a pot you fill with sand, the only thing that wears out would be the nozzle which is replaceable, runs off a compressor, doesn't take much psi 75-80 psi should do. I'd say buy used on CL, use it and sell it.

Don't know if this is close to you but a good deal
http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/3632140471.html
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

It will work for what you need, I been sandblasting for 20 years, and as long as you don't try to over load it they do an ok job.

The other way is to power wash the whole bottom, then put the fluid film to it. Worked on my truck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you think its ok to sandblast the frame with the body and everything still on? I really never considered sandblasting as I have had people say you should only do it to a bare frame.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 am

The one in that ad looks a lot like this one from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html

I even looked at Sears and Tractor Supply and they both look like the same model as this one, except for double the price. $55 does not seem bad. My compressor won't handle it though. I can track down my dad's, his should do.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

bladerunner wrote:
The one in that ad looks a lot like this one from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html

I even looked at Sears and Tractor Supply and they both look like the same model as this one, except for double the price. $55 does not seem bad. My compressor won't handle it though. I can track down my dad's, his should do.

I have that HF one. It does ok. Goes thru a ton of sand, but did pretty good work.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

A needle scaler might work, if you can gain access.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Bull wrote:
The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

Shocked My hands still felt the vibration the morning after I spent a day using one. If you do this be prepared for that!
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Bull wrote:

Shocked My hands still felt the vibration the morning after I spent a day using one. If you do this be prepared for that!

A needle scaler? I bet it took of the rust though!
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 am

HF sells both a regular size and a compact needle scaler, so the compact one might be better for tight spaces. Basically all I am planning on removing is the bed and the dual gas tanks. That should provide enough room to get at most of the frame.

Frame is solid. Only hole I found was in the driver's side leaf hanger, which is common. Just a lot of surface rust and old rattle can undercoating that is peeling off. I have always like POR15 with a black rattle can top coat.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Bull wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Bull wrote:

A needle scaler? I bet it took of the rust though!

Yes it did, that Bobcat looks great to this day! Cool I just wish I was smart enough to wear ear protection that day too!

***Dead thread revival***
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Just ordered a needle scaler from Harbor Freight. I figure if it lasts this one job, it will have paid for itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tools for Frame Rust Empty

Back to top Go down

Tools for Frame Rust
Page 1 of 1