BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» Charcoal gray Bonneville seats
Yesterday at 7:14 pm by Matt Trakker

» Tee shirts and shit for the roundup?
Yesterday at 9:24 am by MalibuSSwagon

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 am by silverfox103

» 95 9C1
Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm by Matt Trakker

» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:07 pm by MASShole9C1

» For all B-bodies
Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am by sdstick

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Tools for Frame Rust

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 pm

So once the nice weather hits, I want to do some work on surface rust on my frame. Looking to finish the Impala as well as my truck. Typically I have just used a wire brush or just borrowed a wire brush attachment for my angle grinder. My truck though has some more heavy scaling on it and I really want to clean it up to get a clear picture on any pitting. Here is a picture of the frame rail under the cab of my truck to give you an idea of what I am trying to rectify:



I was thinking of getting a die grinder as they tend to be smaller and thus better suited for tight spaces like this. What would you recommend, just wire wheel it?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog



Posts : 2124
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 35
Location : Warren, MA

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Park it on a tarp and get a small portable sand blaster.
Bag of sand is CHEAP! buy a used one on CL or a harbor freight one.
Fast and thorough.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I had a buddy tell me those cheap blasters don't last, but honestly, I will probably only need it once or twice anyway. Cool, I will give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog



Posts : 2124
Join date : 2011-01-11
Age : 35
Location : Warren, MA

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

It's just a pot you fill with sand, the only thing that wears out would be the nozzle which is replaceable, runs off a compressor, doesn't take much psi 75-80 psi should do. I'd say buy used on CL, use it and sell it.

Don't know if this is close to you but a good deal
http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/3632140471.html
Back to top Go down
No Moa



Posts : 3863
Join date : 2009-02-21
Age : 44
Location : Midcoast Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

It will work for what you need, I been sandblasting for 20 years, and as long as you don't try to over load it they do an ok job.

The other way is to power wash the whole bottom, then put the fluid film to it. Worked on my truck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you think its ok to sandblast the frame with the body and everything still on? I really never considered sandblasting as I have had people say you should only do it to a bare frame.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 am

The one in that ad looks a lot like this one from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html

I even looked at Sears and Tractor Supply and they both look like the same model as this one, except for double the price. $55 does not seem bad. My compressor won't handle it though. I can track down my dad's, his should do.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4475
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

bladerunner wrote:
The one in that ad looks a lot like this one from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html

I even looked at Sears and Tractor Supply and they both look like the same model as this one, except for double the price. $55 does not seem bad. My compressor won't handle it though. I can track down my dad's, his should do.

I have that HF one. It does ok. Goes thru a ton of sand, but did pretty good work.
Back to top Go down
Bull



Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Western MA

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

A needle scaler might work, if you can gain access.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Bull wrote:
The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

A needle scaler might work, if you can gain access.

Shocked My hands still felt the vibration the morning after I spent a day using one. If you do this be prepared for that!
Back to top Go down
Bull



Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-09-22
Location : Western MA

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Bull wrote:
The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

A needle scaler might work, if you can gain access.

Shocked My hands still felt the vibration the morning after I spent a day using one. If you do this be prepared for that!

A needle scaler? I bet it took of the rust though!
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 am

HF sells both a regular size and a compact needle scaler, so the compact one might be better for tight spaces. Basically all I am planning on removing is the bed and the dual gas tanks. That should provide enough room to get at most of the frame.

Frame is solid. Only hole I found was in the driver's side leaf hanger, which is common. Just a lot of surface rust and old rattle can undercoating that is peeling off. I have always like POR15 with a black rattle can top coat.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Bull wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Bull wrote:
The only "problem" with sand is that you will never get it out of all the cracks and crevices and holes. That might bother you, or it might not. Also, don't breath the dust. Silicosis is bad.

A needle scaler might work, if you can gain access.

Shocked My hands still felt the vibration the morning after I spent a day using one. If you do this be prepared for that!

A needle scaler? I bet it took of the rust though!

Yes it did, that Bobcat looks great to this day! Cool I just wish I was smart enough to wear ear protection that day too!



***Dead thread revival***
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Just ordered a needle scaler from Harbor Freight. I figure if it lasts this one job, it will have paid for itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tools for Frame Rust   Today at 11:29 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Tools for Frame Rust
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Tools for Frame Rust
» SEM rust shield
» TJ Frame Swap
» W-Body rust repair
» Quilting Tools

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: BADASS information :: Bad talk-
Jump to: