BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

School me on C4 Vettes...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pooge

Pooge

School me on C4 Vettes... Empty
PostSubject: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 am

Going to look at an 85 this afternoon with a 350 and Doug Nash 4+3, that an old acquaintance from high school is selling, supposedly runs and drives, may need a few electric gremlins checked out, and may need minor body work... Electric crap doesn't scare me, I can screw with this winter. Body work, depends on how bad it is.

What do I need to know? What's common stuff to look for? Ill do some searching, but Ill take any help i can get.

I think I can score it for $1500 or so... I feel like it's a "can't lose" at that price... Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

Bad bushings or broken mono leaf rear spring, dash cluster, head lamp motors, solid clam shell hood, water tight roof hatch, working e-brake handle, correct wheel on correct corner. After that it should be the basic GM stuff to look for.
Great cars. First year for the 245hp TPI 350. Or you can LSx that crap out of it. Look at the fiberglass closely. Look for spider cracks at intersections of angles near the b-pillar, door jam at the latch. Also check the rear frame rails for excessive rust. Not sure if they rust there, but if it was driven in the winter at all at any point of it's life, there could be some.
Price is good if it is a complete car in over all good shape.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

The hood hinge area i know can be the worst, from morons that don't know how to close it. But glass is easily fixable.
Good luck, they are a blast to play around in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm

I've been thinking of getting one sometime because they're so cheap!

Doug, I would buy that for that price. You could easily part that thing out if it turned out to be a toilet, hood's worth money along with most everything else. If you can part out an SS, I KNOW you can find homes for all of that cars parts, lol.

I heard that the 4+3 trans is a POS, but I'm not expert. I was told to avoid the early manual trans cars, and the Cross-Fire injected ones. The inst. cluster is common but can be sent out to be fixed and it is worth the repair.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Checked it out this afternoon...

The Good:
-It runs
-Has decent tires
-Looks to be ONLY a windshield away from an inspection...by a lick and stick station...
-It's a Vette

No doubt I can get it for $1500, maybe a few bucks less...but it's a TOILET!

The Bad:
-Lots of fiberglass damage
-Cracked windshield
-Cracked roof glass
-Trans feels like a ratchet shift Hurst unit...and it's not.
-Weak clutch
-Door panels are magically hanging on the door, though I could not find a fixed fastener
-Only one headlight pops up
-MANY "Backwoods" repairs that I would be embarrassed to have someone see even if I was reselling for $5.

But the kicker: No ignition, starts with a vise grip, and column is destroyed...Just a little too much potential that it may have ONCE been stolen, though I do know the previous owner before this guy, so I doubt it, but not worth the nagging suspicion.

And HOLY SHIT, it has to be THE WORST car to get in and out of...I had heard stories, but doing it in real life if SO MUCH WORSE! That being said, once you were in there it was not terrible, but it's too small for me. The seat all the way back and I'm still knees in the dash, head out the roof.

I'm obviously passing on it, but I'd be lying if I told you I don't have a bit of "Corvette Brain" going on now...I feel like Crovo.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Offer him $500 and ice race the bitch
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Pooge wrote:
And HOLY SHIT, it has to be THE WORST car to get in and out of...I had heard stories, but doing it in real life if SO MUCH WORSE! That being said, once you were in there it was not terrible, but it's too small for me. The seat all the way back and I'm still knees in the dash, head out the roof.
That's funny. I have never had a problem fitting in one. Of course I am the size of a short five year old. Razz
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm

At least it doesn't have the "Cease Fire" motor in it... Wink

Sounds like a turd. Scrap it!
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School me on C4 Vettes...   School me on C4 Vettes... Empty

Back to top Go down

School me on C4 Vettes...
Page 1 of 1