BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Yesterday at 8:56 am by No Moa

» 95 9C1
Yesterday at 8:55 am by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Yesterday at 6:49 am by bowtiepimp

» Charcoal gray Bonneville seats
Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:14 pm by Matt Trakker

» Tee shirts and shit for the roundup?
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 am by MalibuSSwagon

» For all B-bodies
Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am by sdstick

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
October 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Stupid Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 pm

What does it take to convert a fuel injected engine to carb? I ask as I really want to do a Vortec headed small block in my truck but I'd like to stay carbureted. Flip side of that question; is going fuel injected on an old vehicle going to be a pain? I ask as a local machine shop sells rebuilt Vortec 350s for $1150 with a 4 year 40k warranty. I thought that might be a good option for my 85 K10.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm

bladerunner wrote:
What does it take to convert a fuel injected engine to carb? I ask as I really want to do a Vortec headed small block in my truck but I'd like to stay carbureted. Flip side of that question; is going fuel injected on an old vehicle going to be a pain? I ask as a local machine shop sells rebuilt Vortec 350s for $1150 with a 4 year 40k warranty. I thought that might be a good option for my 85 K10.

Going vortec might be a pain, but going TBI or an aftermarket TBI style setup would be easier.

You can easily stay carb'd with one of the many aftermarket or GMPP carb intake manifolds for vortech style heads. A quick search on Jegs or Summit will show give you what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Thats basically what I assumed is if I grabbed a new intake I'd be all set.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5068
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm

I'll be watching this thread, because someday, I think I want to do an LS in the '74 Impala I have. But if you go from carb to EFI, you have to do a different baffled gas tank with an in-tank pump, don't you? Plus add different fuel and return lines and stuff?
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Well I might do better to just rebuild my current 350 with new Vortec heads, my initial plan anyway.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I'll be watching this thread, because someday, I think I want to do an LS in the '74 Impala I have. But if you go from carb to EFI, you have to do a different baffled gas tank with an in-tank pump, don't you? Plus add different fuel and return lines and stuff?

I believe you can get away with an inline walboro as you really can't find an EFI tank for your car cheap and easy...at least I can't imagine you would be able to.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Somewhat related:

What are your guys thoughts on buying a rebuilt 350 vs a brand new crate?

The local machine shop sells a pre-86, 2 piece rear main, flat tappet 350 engine for $895 with a 4 year 40k warranty. I could also get a GM Goodwrench 350 from Summit for $1600:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/crate-engines/product-line/chevrolet-performance-350-c-i-d-base-195-hp-engine-assemblies?autoview=SKU

From there I was thinking of just putting an Edelbrock Performer intake on, some new Hooker ceramic headers and a Holly carb. I already have 2-1/4 inch dual exhaust with Flowmaster 44s. I hope to down the road swap out the heads for Vortecs, but in the short term, I think this will work and get me a some decent HP/Torque numbers in my truck. I read a similar setup 350 was doing about 350 ft/lbs with this setup with a Q-jet.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am

bladerunner wrote:
Somewhat related:

What are your guys thoughts on buying a rebuilt 350 vs a brand new crate?

The local machine shop sells a pre-86, 2 piece rear main, flat tappet 350 engine for $895 with a 4 year 40k warranty. I could also get a GM Goodwrench 350 from Summit for $1600:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/crate-engines/product-line/chevrolet-performance-350-c-i-d-base-195-hp-engine-assemblies?autoview=SKU

From there I was thinking of just putting an Edelbrock Performer intake on, some new Hooker ceramic headers and a Holly carb. I already have 2-1/4 inch dual exhaust with Flowmaster 44s. I hope to down the road swap out the heads for Vortecs, but in the short term, I think this will work and get me a some decent HP/Torque numbers in my truck. I read a similar setup 350 was doing about 350 ft/lbs with this setup with a Q-jet.

Crate engines are an awesome idea and seem to be the best answer for a lot of projects. I would do a crate engine in my car if I didn't have the urge to rebuild the 350 I have in the shed. I just want to do it for the experience. I'm sure I could order up a crate engine for less and go faster, but I just want to have more fun....or headaches whatever you want to call it!

With it being a truck it seems like you're looking for torque more than HP so the vortec heads will be the best bang for the buck from what I've heard. My buddy's 96 Sierra hauls ass with the brand new vortec he installed over the summer. If it weren't so rusty I would buy it in a minute! The guy you really need to ask is Glen (Machine De Zine) he knows engines VERY well!
Back to top Go down
bladerunner



Posts : 210
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Maine

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I like the look of this Year One crate 350, and under $3k as well:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1982-02-Camaro/CT350PC1/view
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 pm

bladerunner wrote:
I like the look of this Year One crate 350, and under $3k as well:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1982-02-Camaro/CT350PC1/view

I like that it comes with the dyno sheet for that specific engine. You know she's good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Stupid Questions   Today at 3:09 am

Back to top Go down
 
Stupid Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Stupid Questions
» mark 3 questions
» Horus Questions
» Newbie Questions
» You have questions, we try to have answers

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: BADASS information :: Bad talk-
Jump to: