BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.

Go down 
+7
95brmw
Matt Trakker
toomanytoyz
sdstick
bfurches
Cadet57
IMPALADAKID
11 posters
AuthorMessage
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. Empty
PostSubject: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

That Hostess is going out of business
No more Twinkies, no more Snow balls, no more cup cakes, no more wonderful Wonder Bread. Sad

Phyllis and I ran down to the store to get some, while we could. Guy told me we got the last to packs of twinkies. There will be no more deliveries.
I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. IMG_20121116_183759
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I was working at the booze place today and ran into a Hostess guy. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed-mostly at the striking idiots. But he hooked my partner and I up with some Ring Dings and Twinkies. No

That said, considering like 50% of the American snack cake market just went under. And taking into account that I really only liked Hostess stuff. I should be down to about 150lbs by January! Laughing
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
I was working at the booze place today and ran into a Hostess guy. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed-mostly at the striking idiots.
Some people just don't get it. I bet now they do. Very sad. It is one thing to loose your job to the economy, but to loose it like that. Maybe next time they will just shut up and work. I am not sure what they were trying to get in the strike, but it sure backfired, and now they get nothing. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:19 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
I was working at the booze place today and ran into a Hostess guy. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed-mostly at the striking idiots.
Some people just don't get it. I bet now they do. Very sad. It is one thing to loose your job to the economy, but to loose it like that. Maybe next time they will just shut up and work. I am not sure what they were trying to get in the strike, but it sure backfired, and now they get nothing. Surprised

The part that pisses me off is they went on strike over an 8% reduction in pay. EIGHT PERCENT! Well, now they get a 100% reduction in pay. Rolling Eyes

Unions will be the death of this country.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Cadet57 wrote:

Unions will be the death of this country.

Yes and no.....

I am a Union employee...and I am very proud of it MOST of the time....so I really won't get involved in that debate....but here is my view on the situation...

I am not positive how long Hostess contracts run...but if they are anything like my own, they will operate for a period of 2-4 years. With the state of the economy since late 2006 to now, UNION wages (in my experience) have sat pretty flat. In other words, during contract negotiations, companies are citing lack of funds, profits, whatever the case may be to keep employees from making anything additional (raises in the contract)....

SO....with that in mind....lets say these guys have gotten no raises in the past 4-5 years (or VERY low ones), while the price of EVRYTHING else around them has gone up...and now the company asks them to take an 8% cut? 8% over the course of the year can still translate to a few thousand dollars (dont think hourly, think big picture).

If the same 8% is what was holding that company together...then maybe it was a band-aid approach to a certain death regardless....

(just for reference.....Romney quoted the average American household income as 50k. 8% is 4k dollars out of your salary. That is 16k dollars out of your check over the next 4 years. 16k less then what you were making when taxes were lower and gas was down. Im not an economic expert, but I don't see price growth going down over the next four years while a guy may have been strugling to get by as it is.)
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 pm

As long as the union workers are c
overed by the union & have another job, then 8% =$4K =$16K wont matter.
ALSO: not sure what the latest unemployment time frame is...
maybe 26 weeks? maybe more ?

BUT

If none of the above helps.....
your screwed....
a low paying job is better then none..
but that doesnt help your mental health.
GWS Hostess employees

On a lighter note....

You can put those twinkies anywhere & 5 years from now....

they'll be in the EXACT same condition.. Shocked

(dont know who said that 1st but I've always remembered it... Laughing )
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Bummer. Sad

Even though I'm not big on sweets and won't notice them not being in the stores. It just sucks for the 18,500 people who are now unemployed. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. 305524_616394345766_322416918_n

Honestly couldn't tell you the last time I consumed a Hostess product. But this all pisses me off. I grew up in Malden, where the Hostess "factory outlet" is/was. I shit you not we were all down there several times a week on our Huffy bikes shod in CONS with the React Juice getting tons of circa 1992 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pies. Those were wicked good! I like the orange cupcakes too.

Now, I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but this was so stupid on the part of the union. I don't care how much of a pay cut there is, like Steve said, some money is better than no money. Don't like it? Work someplace else! The damned company was in bankruptcy, when there's a crisis, you go on lockdown and try to do what you can to get by. It sucks, but still, look where it got them. And no more F'N TWINKIES!
Keep in mind, this is coming from somebody whose job depends on how many different home improvement projects we line up, someone who has to pay taxes as an independent contractor, and also currently does not have health insurance. Hell, I haven't even been to the dentist since like, 2001! Shocked So needless to say, I view a lot of people as whiners probably because of my marginally extreme situation. If I had a better job that seemed infinitely secure I might feel differently...

That being said, I don't see this being the end of the Hostess name, or any of the major products. This company went under because of how it was operating, not because NO ONE was buying Twinkies. I know the market has been slammed by skinny people who consume no carbs, but look at the mad rush today to grab Twinkies and company. You really think a competitor won't snap up the rights/recipes/names? Hostess might not come back but I'm sure you will see Twinkies again and all the people hoarding them looking to find Tallahassee from Zombieland will feel like dumbasses... Laughing
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 8:42 pm

A sad day indeed. I raided the stores and stocked up mostly on Drakes as all the good Hostess stuff was gone already.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm

95brmw wrote:
A sad day indeed. I raided the stores and stocked up mostly on Drakes as all the good Hostess stuff was gone already.

I just checked Wal-Fahhts to see if there were any Drake's Coffee Cake, because I like those...however I just don't think they sell them. I'll check a few places tomorrow if I get a chance.

Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 pm

....how much you wanna bet this is a giant scam to raise sales for the months of November and December lol
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm

bfurches wrote:
....how much you wanna bet this is a giant scam to raise sales for the months of November and December lol

I'm not a betting man, but I almost would...lol. I was gonna say that but I'm just not sure...

In other news, for the hell of it, I went to Stop and Shop in Reading. Remember what I said I liked a few posts ago? These were the last 2 items in the store-

I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. 423024_616423202936_87920400_n

The only other things were 2-3 of Drake's branded random food that weren't coffee cake, and a couple other small-ass boxes of Hostess reduced fat looking things that probably had aspartame in them or something and therefore not considered edible by yours truly... Laughing

Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Matt...I will trade you another pack of those for your SD card, 2 of the rechargeable "AA," and those two screws....

Deal?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Haha, that's all you saw on the table? Laughing
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm

pffftt....orange cupcakes turn your hair red Mad
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am

sdstick wrote:

Well that explains that... Matt, I know why you are a red head! Laughing

I wish I ran out to get some Yodels...Damn. I honestly friggen hate Twinkies. I think they're gross. Yodels are my friggin favorite though. Sad
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 am

sdstick wrote:
Thanks Steve, I just spit my Coffee on my screen. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 am

Orange cupcakes were my favorite of all time, I believe ALL hostess stuff is made with beef fat (lard), I can't eat any of that. Im not sure if the drakes like has lard... I'll have to check today and stock up if they are lard-free.

My old lady said the same thing yesterday about being a sales ploy!

Maybe now after 12/21/12 America will be a skinnier empire and the world will stop hating us.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 am

I predict a rise in eBay twinkies in the near future.... Wink

And since it wasn't claimed, I'll take the title to the DGGM, Matt. Thanks! Smile

And I really lol'd at the orange cupcake/gingerbeard comment. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaQjS1JstY
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Quote :
And since it wasn't claimed, I'll take the title to the DGGM, Matt. Thanks! Smile

Good eye, lol. And I'm not a ginger! I'm a quasi-redhead, my hair turns blonde if I'm in the sun and I could tan if I wanted to get melanoma and all that...

Gingers all look alike, even more than their siblings, are generally crazy, and have freckles...

Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

Quote :

Good eye, lol. And I'm not a ginger! I'm a quasi-redhead, my hair turns blonde if I'm in the sun and I could tan if I wanted to get melanoma and all that...

Gingers all look alike, even more than their siblings, are generally crazy, and have freckles...

I hate snow balls too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

Real gingers are very scary folks when they are crazy Razz
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin
IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

LOL.
20 MILLION DOLLAR TWINKIE
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:23 pm

He'll never get that kinda money.... They're CHOCOLATE filled twinkles! What a jerk!!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Don't despair just yet. On the news tonight, they said the Hostess Company may not be dead yet. Negotiations are scheduled.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.   I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America. Empty

Back to top Go down

I am just heart broken. It is a very sad day in America.
Page 1 of 1