BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Where Do You Wrench? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Where Do You Wrench? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Where Do You Wrench?

Go down 
+12
1984twodoor
sdstick
MASShole9C1
Pooge
V8Killer
jvette65
toomanytoyz
GasTT
95brmw
boojum
bangshiftbrian
Bull
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Where Do You Wrench? Empty
PostSubject: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 am

I don't really know what "Misk" means, but is this section like a free discussion area?

I am wondering where you guys do your wrenching. Do you have pole barns, small garages, driveways where you work on your cars, or what? Any tool brand or country of origin loyalties?

I spend most of my online time on a garage and tool forum, so these are things I like to talk about with other car guys.
Back to top Go down
bangshiftbrian

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 am

I am an aspiring garage owner. The vast majority of my wrenching is done in the driveway.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 am

It depends on which car I'm working on, the tall one or the short one.

Where Do You Wrench? Both_r

You are in the right place, this is the miscellaneous section.

Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:51 am

[quote="Bull"]I don't really know what "Misk" means, but is this section like a free discussion area?[ quote]
It's a reference to the misc section on the SS forum, for whatever reason those guys call it Misk.

I do my work in my driveway, the garage is only for tools, parts and parking of the family's "small" cars. As you can see, I can make a whale fit in there, There's just almost no room to work on it Razz
Where Do You Wrench? Capricegarage
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 am

I do my wrenching at a garage I do side work at. 3 bays 2 lifts. Large yard to store cars.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 am

I used to do a lot of my wrenching in my garage or driveway, but we sold the house, so now it's at a friend's shop with a lift or at my mother's house. My stepfather has a decent selection of tools and all my stuff is in storage now. I have done a lot of work at Al's shop, and watched a lot of work there, too. Wink

My next house will eventually have my own shop built. A 25x30 or so with a lift and a tall door so my truck will fit. Smile

I can post pics from home later.

I have no real tool brand loyalty. Mostly it's a cost thing. I have a mix of craftsman, snapon, mac, harbor freight, and dollar store stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
jvette65

PostSubject: Where do you wrench.   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 am

Always working in the garage. Built a new house 12 years ago, with 9.5' ceiling height-garage under, enough for 5 car storage+ . I put in a 220V-60A sub-panel and have added a heat zone off of the main boiler going to a Dayton forced hot air blower. Heats the garage to 60+ degrees in 20 min while in single digits outside. Insulated garage door. Never gets below 45 degrees even in the coldest January weather with the heat off. In the winter months I have to kick out one or both " 9 month cars" to have enough room to get work done. It's been my dream to have a good work space to enjoy my cars, and it took me a long while to get there. -Joe
Where Do You Wrench? Hibern10
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:19 pm

I wrench for a living, so I have good stuff at work (25+years of buying stuff) Rolling Eyes

At work:

Where Do You Wrench? My-too10

Where Do You Wrench? My-car10

I rent a small shop for my own stuff and some side stuff, have 2 compressors, a house furnace for heat, a pretty complete set of hand tools (craftsman, H/F, Otc), a lift, 220 Mig, metal chop-saw, air tools (of all brands).
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

When I was single I set plans in motion. I bought a piece of land on a hill and started building a garage with an apartment in the back. I currently live there as my wife and I save up to build our dream house on the same property.

My building is 60x40 and 2/3 of it is garage, so about a 40x40 garage with a loft over the apartment section. I built it with 14 foot walls so I had plenty of room for a lift, radiant heat in the floor, and 10x10 doors so I can drive just about anything into it. I have a bathroom in the back that has a crapper and a urinal (My favorite part of the garage) and an old TV set up so i can have background noise or the wife can watch while on the treadmill.

Where Do You Wrench? Impala001

Let me assure you that no matter how big you build your garage, you will wish it was bigger before long.... That said, I do love it, and am glad I did this before building the house, otherwise I would not have justified the money till I was in my 40s.

It is not 100% done inside, I only have interior sheeting 8-12 feet up the walls, and none on the ceiling, but its all insulated and I do little things as I can spare the cash, like adding more ceiling lights and continuing the sheeting

I have a nice selection of tools I have collected over the last 15 years or so, but I still have a list a mile long of things I want.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:41 pm

I've always wrenched in the concrete slab driveway. Sun, rain, snow, whatever.

The wife and I are searching for our first real home and not a shithole apartment.

My tools range from Stanley, to craftsman and snap on (blue point), all the way back down to cheapo stamped stuff.

Mostly hand tools. It sucks being a little guy, but I've made it work quite well.

Not until recently I purchased some electric tools to speed up the process.

I will wait until we have a permanent home to buy a compressir and a welder.

Driveway busters have to learn the hard way I guess.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I've pretty much always been a driveway guy.

When a garage is open, I'll sometimes use it but I hate having no good light or room

When the project is sizable, I use this

Where Do You Wrench? Shopjv

Just in case Jim's paying attention...couple of shots of the compressor setup

1st the NEW (open for todays maintenance) tied to the OLD then to an additional tank added when the motor croaked (bolted that air dryer on top)

Where Do You Wrench? Compressors

And when I say old....I mean old...ALMOST as old as me... Shocked

Where Do You Wrench? Origcompidplate

Lot of craftsman tools...never had access to a SnapOn truck,

I break the cheap hand tools real quick so I dont even bother unless its a light usage item.

Most of my air tools are cheap like Chicago Pneumatic ....anything we use alot I buy cheap & throw them away because they get abused.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Steve, never mind a lift or a compressor, you need a rotisserie to flip that picture around.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Thats funny....my phone shows it flipped too.

On the PC its right side up.

Please turn your phone 180 quickly... Arrow
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Dibs on the old compressor. Smile

It looks like a Kellogg 352TV. 25 to 35 CFM depending on what motor is driving it, 7.5. That'll dim your house lights!

I forgot the tools.

I have some Harbor Freight stuff, all the Craftsman regular sockets, just got (what I used to think was) a big ass compressor, and a 6 pack of swazall blades that I fortuitously found inside a Camaro.

Last edited by boojum on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Driveway in the tent, or back yard in a REALLY crappy cheapo tent just for the rain to stay off the frame while the paint dries. Currently seeking a garage to rent for the winter to keep the forward motion with the frame.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 am

bangshiftbrian wrote:
I am an aspiring garage owner. The vast majority of my wrenching is done in the driveway.

What he ^ said.

I just hate when weather is perfect while I'm at work, but then the rain, snow, wind or brutal sun & humidity conspire to make me stop as soon as I set up in the driveway.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 8:28 am

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
bangshiftbrian wrote:

What he ^ said.

I just hate when weather is perfect while I'm at work, but then the rain, snow, wind or brutal sun & humidity conspire to make me stop as soon as I set up in the driveway.

Amen to that! I hate it! I have the tent but honestly it doesn't help when it's freezing out and you're using metal tools on metal parts!
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 pm

boojum wrote:
Dibs on the old compressor. Smile
It looks like a Kellogg 352TV. 25 to 35 CFM depending on what motor is driving it, 7.5.
That'll dim your house lights!.

Where Do You Wrench? Origcompmtrplate
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 pm

boojum wrote:

It looks like a Kellogg 352TV. 25 to 35 CFM depending on what motor is driving it, 7.5. That'll dim your house lights!

Something got lost on the way, I meant to write:
It looks like a Kellogg 352TV. 25 to 35 CFM depending on what motor is driving it, 7.5 or 10HP.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I started out in the dirt parking lot behind my house growing up , When I tured 18 and started at the dealership I moved operations there Razz

Since leaving the dealerships, I do some small stuff in the driveway , mostly early in the morning to be the first to say hi to my neighbors. cheers
But most of my work and details I do at the shop I work at, got my own keys and can come and go as I please lol!
Behind the black toolbox and desk is another lift.

Where Do You Wrench? 2012-010
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 pm

I have a two car under garage, that leave a lot to be desired. What I mainly count on them is storing two cars for the winter. They are OK for todays size cars but for the D and B's, it's on the tight side. The days of me changing engines and trannys are long gone. In the winter when the cars are inside, I do just little piddly stuff. For most of the repairs and maintenance, I do outside and in good weather. If it's anymore than brakes, it's going to the mechanic.

Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2493
Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2497
Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2495
Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2494
Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2498
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 pm

silverfox103 wrote:

Where Do You Wrench? DSC_2494

and a FWB with paper plates scratch ....... details please bounce
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm

I will start a new post soon, but here are the Details: http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7376-went-shopping-today

Tom
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 pm

If it can fit a D body, it's big enough. Nice yard Tom. Plenty of space for more B/D's.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 pm

GasTT wrote:
Plenty of space for more B/D's.

I have too much space, the last thing I want is more B & D's, although I just bought the D. Pretty sure I will be selling the Caprice Wagon. I really like it, but enough is enough.

tom
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:36 am

hmmmm was that the one down in Merrimack NH ......
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 am

bowtiepimp wrote:
hmmmm was that the one down in Merrimack NH ......

That be it!

Tom
Back to top Go down
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 pm

No real pics of the garage, just 1-1/2 bays with barely enough room to work around one car - usually tied up with the current project. Unless I move that one out to make room for another, the rest get worked on in the driveway. The truck is too big to fit inside, so it stays outside either way. Last winter the entire brake system was replaced with the exception of the parking brakes, proportioning valve & ABS block, all in the driveway. At least there wasn’t much snow.

Since the question asked was kind of like one those “Let’s See Your Toolboxes” threads over at that other site, I’ll make this post more tool-oriented like those are:

Tools are less esoteric on this forum, unless someone comes up with something that really helps the process, the focus is on the cars themselves. COO isn’t bantered about nearly as much, global sourcing by the automakers means we often get what we get, though if you were to look long enough here - or the other B-Body boards for that matter - you would see some definite preferences on those aftermarket parts brands that can be recommended, and which are to be avoided. A review of threads discussing replacement Opti distributors would make it very clear we have our likes & dislikes, usually derived from first-hand, hard-earned experience.

My tools are an eclectic mix of Craftsman and the industrial-oriented brands like Armstrong & Proto. The truck brands have been much less accessible, either new or used, so they aren’t represented as well. In fact, there are more Kent-Moore and OTC specialty tools on-hand than those from Snap-On or Mac. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like more though, I’ve been casually looking for both the metric & standard sets of the Snap-On RXF’s, but haven’t seen any so far that had the right mix of condition & price to spring for them.

What is spent on tools can’t be spent on parts, so the attempt is to buy enough quality to get the job done with some amount of safety factor to spare. Never bought into the one-brand philosophy, too many years working on cars makes it clear that no one manufacturer of anything has a lock on the best everywhere. Just as cars are seldom modified with parts from only one manufacturer - unless they are specially built to showcase a particular vendor’s products - they are often a result of judiciously picking & choosing those pieces that work best for the task at hand.

After spending time looking at other peoples boxes over on that other forum, I did finally get my tools organized this year. I had been working out of a tool bag, several carry-sized toolboxes and countless cardboard boxes for years, but it was time to move on. I started by picking up a used lower box of Craigslist. It was pretty rough, worse than this pic implies, but for $130.00 I got the box, a nearly complete set of like-new S-K metric combination wrenches and a 24” Snap-on flex handle. I picked this particular box as it had a good mix of shallow drawers & medium drawers for the price. Evidently they weren’t that popular when new, as even the people at Waterloo had trouble getting the right parts, and searching Google & GJ produced only one photo of the same model.

Where Do You Wrench? CraigslistPhoto1

After substantial time cleaning, some dent-removal & paint, adding new trim & casters, it looked like this:

Where Do You Wrench? 161

Found some old office equipment that was headed for the dumpster and reworked it into a side cabinet, then added a top surface cut from a larger table. Still a work in progress, drawer fronts have since been fitted, but they still need the pulls added. Even so, it is already almost completely filled with my electrical equipment & supplies. What did I learn from all this? That unless I fall over a used Lista, I won’t do another, as it is just too much work for the money saved, especially when balanced against doing the things that I couldn’t afford to pay to have done on my other projects.

Where Do You Wrench? 168

Picked up a pair of inexpensive Craftsman boxes from the clearance aisle @ Sears, and shortly after, a co-worker offered me his exceptionally nice home boxes for a reasonable price. Finished them up by buying the middle risers and then swapping casters around, and adding spacer blocks to level them (the tops & bottoms are all different, so they weren’t lining up).

Where Do You Wrench? 171

Lastly, I picked up my old boxes (tops were purchased back in 1988, the bottom in 1996) and brought them home to go through them. Ignore the Snap-On emblems, they are just some Homak’s, but still very well built. At some point they are due to be refinished, as the paint is starting to show its years by flaking off in several places.

Where Do You Wrench? 172

When I bought the second set of Craftsman boxes, I wondered if having so many boxes was really necessary, or was it just a case of bought-them-because-they-were-a-good-deal. But as I began gathering everything together, the space filled rapidly. At the moment there is currently 1 empty drawer, and perhaps 3 more drawers’ worth of space that could be found between those that have some room left, the rest are all pretty well packed. When everything was scattered about, there didn’t seem to be nearly enough that they would fill so much space. I never did part with my toolbag or hand boxes, the toolbag has been slimmed down to carry a more reasonable assortment of tools for away from home use, and the hand boxes have been re-purposed to house specialty tools – tube bending & flaring equipment, safety wear, and assorted air tools & abrasives. The cardboard box collection did take a serious hit though Smile

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Jay I bet all of those boxes in that garage makes it look like a small service station! That's a lot of boxes but as long as they are serving their purpose and you aren't storing tools in cardboard boxes anymore, then they have a right to be there!

Maybe I should post pics of my shed parts and tool storage shed pale Talk about cramped.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Jay, great tool box collection! I work out a (much) smaller snap on box and an ABS plastic box from Walmart. I was at lowes the other day and almost spent $500 on a new set with casters. Decided to wait so I don't have to move it when we do.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I've been working out of my 4 drawer Craftsman tool box for about 4 years now. It's got basically everything I need. I of course have off brand torx and allen head sockets for removing seat belt bolts and caliper bolts. Some off brand crows feet, swivel joints and screw driver kits.

Where Do You Wrench? 00935214000?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0

It's been serving me well. It is portable and doubles as a seat. Very Happy

I used to do all my work in my urban concrete back yard/driveway.

Where Do You Wrench? 73744_443885213946_4141042_n

Where Do You Wrench? 150001_446916268946_7195908_n

Now, I am lucky enough to have established a good relationship with the owner of a local garage. I do some work for him sometimes and make a little extra cash. I also get to use the garage/tools whenever I need. Even on Sundays. I also have been allowed to store my wagon there since I've gotten it.

Where Do You Wrench? 578345_10151113764128947_1634549232_n

I do a lot of work on the wagon right in that spot. Sometimes I'll pull it straight forward up to the bay if I need air or electricity.

The big warehouse in the back is where my Caprice has been sleeping for the past year. My boss owns it and was nice enough to let me store it there next to his '05 Ford GT, s/c'd 750hp 2010 camaro ss and many of his other vehicles/ boats.

Where Do You Wrench? 426798_10150560133823947_500269960_n

The garage

Where Do You Wrench? 553822_10151115363203947_1031652640_n

Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Good news Steve! I found a replacement compressor for you. Hopefully He stiil has it. He wanted gone by the end of the week.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3356142660.html
Where Do You Wrench? 3Ie3Lb3Me5G35Ka5Jdcam1e9cd1b920f41ec7

I'll haul the old one away, no charge. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Wrench?   Where Do You Wrench? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where Do You Wrench?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: BADASS information :: Bad talk-