BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Question About Hoods EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Question About Hoods EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Question About Hoods EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Question About Hoods EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Question About Hoods EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Question About Hoods EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Question About Hoods EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Question About Hoods EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Question About Hoods EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Question About Hoods

Go down 
+3
1984twodoor
No Moa
bladerunner
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bladerunner

bladerunner

Question About Hoods Empty
PostSubject: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 am

Caprice hoods fit on an SS I take it? Only difference is the ornament hole correct?
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

yup

The other difference is the SS hoods only came in blah black, dully dcm, and awesome DGGM! lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:02 pm

No Moa wrote:
yup

The other difference is the SS hoods only came in blah black, dully dcm, and awesome DGGM! lol

Quoted for truth!

Wouldn't a RMW hood work also? If so, that just broadens the possibilities in your search! Arrow
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:53 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
No Moa wrote:
yup

Quoted for truth!

Wouldn't a RMW hood work also? If so, that just broadens the possibilities in your search! Arrow

RMW and OCC. Arrow
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Current hood has a crimp on the edge of the passenger's side and I don't think it will pop out easily. Not a big deal, just want to know what to expect.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 am

Cadet57 wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
No Moa wrote:
yup

Quoted for truth!

RMW and OCC. Arrow

Don't you have to pay like ten times the price for the rare OCC hood though!? Laughing Speaking of OCC Justin buy Al's Cool

/Threadjack over
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 am

Justin bought Al's OCC?

I heard that he had sold it.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 am

bladerunner wrote:
Current hood has a crimp on the edge of the passenger's side and I don't think it will pop out easily. Not a big deal, just want to know what to expect.

The old hood was worse, so i bought that one from a friend, got it home and found that big dent in it. Never had a chance to get it fixed, but my body guy said it would come out.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 am

Huh, maybe I shoudl go get a second opinion on it then.

Slightly different question:

The dash pad is covered in brown, oxidized spots as well as old glue used for a dash mat that was removed. So I was trying last night to remove the old mat adhesive using 3M adhesive remover. That stuff turned the dash white. I am trying to get it off now. Gonna try some Armorall Wipes next, but I am thinking I might have to SEM the dash. Any ideas on what might help get the brown and the residue of the adhesive remover off?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm

boojum wrote:
Justin bought Al's OCC?

I heard that he had sold it.

I have no idea, I was just saying that he should
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 pm

bladerunner wrote:
Huh, maybe I shoudl go get a second opinion on it then.

Slightly different question:

The dash pad is covered in brown, oxidized spots as well as old glue used for a dash mat that was removed. So I was trying last night to remove the old mat adhesive using 3M adhesive remover. That stuff turned the dash white. I am trying to get it off now. Gonna try some Armorall Wipes next, but I am thinking I might have to SEM the dash. Any ideas on what might help get the brown and the residue of the adhesive remover off?

I wouldn't use Armor All anything on there- I would always suggest 303 Protectant (West Marine sells it or online) or Lexol (I think Wal-Mart has that)...but if you plan on painting the dash with SEM you'll have to be sure to get anything you spray on there OFF before the paint goes on!

As far as the adhesive remover I'm not exactly sure, maybe start with milder soap and water on a towel, then if that doesn't work, move up to stronger things like Tuff Stuff, etc. (Don't get Tuff Stuff on any switchgear that has lettering, it will take it off...). I'm sure someone else here knows some alternatives too...paging Mr. Meekins... Smile
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:02 pm

I tired just some dish soap and water and the white from the 3M adhesive remover won't come off. But when I wet the dash, the white goes away until it dries again. So I am not sure what will get it off.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Hmm...is the adhesive itself gone otherwise? I'm a 303 fan and that's all I use because it blocks UV and restores the new "satin" appearance to vinyl and such, but I'm wondering if you can get the white to go away by cleaning, or if it's just an aftereffect in the vinyl pad. Maybe try that Lexol stuff out to see what it does, or spot test with some Armor All wipes just to see if it does anything, they are both cheaper than 303. I just don't like Armor All...seems to do more harm than good lol
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah the 3M got rid of most of the adhesive, though I stopped using it once I saw what it was doing to the dash. I will try and pick up some Lexol tonight and see what it does.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

I thought those Mr. Clean magic eraser things worked good but never scrubbed the crap outta the pad.
Dont know if the brown is bleeding thru or what?
You've got nothing to lose.
I'll get you the Sem #'s tomorrow
Where you from?
Maybe pull the dash & we could spray it in my shop?
I'm pretty sure I have enough spray cans
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Lexol did not work. I scrubbed and scrubbed but no change.

I think the brown is from baked on adhesive used for the old dash mat. Best guess anyway.

I live in Bangor ME, which is quite a haul from Revere, but I appreciate the offer. I would appreciate the SEM #, though I just found a shop in town that sells the stuff. So I should be able to match there.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm

No problem, happy to offer.
The brown (at least not all of it) is not JUST adhesive
I have 2 95's that sat in the sun most of thier lives & it just happens.
I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem sometime...see if it bleeds thru or what.
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Well I have been talking back and forth with Glen about removing the dash pad and I found the screws above the glove compartment by removing the trim piece there. I think there are 3 or 4 screws there. I also see the 2 screws above the cluster under the dash lip. I also figure there are some above the radio in the center of the dash. I guess to get to those you have to bend bezel around the radio back as it seems it won't come out without removing the lower dash pad (correct me if I am wrong). Am I missing anything else?
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Remove the lower dash around the radio, it's all one piece. Couple 5/16 screws I believe on the bottom of the lower dash.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Dont miss the screws up at the ash tray
These things really do snap together.
I was like that originally...hesitant to pull it apart until I saw someone do it
Once you do, the simplicity amazes you
SOME people dont even put the screws back in Shocked
Back to top Go down
bladerunner

bladerunner

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Sounds good. Just from what I saw tonight, it will all come out pretty easy. Just have to try and not break the plastic clips.

From what I have seen, medium gray is the SEM color some have used: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=274318
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 pm

My brother's '94 Roadmaster with gray interior did the same "brown" thing on the dash pad. I remember I was able to "mask" it a bit for him with 303 or something else at the time maybe, but it's still there, like Steve said I think a lot of them just get that way from the sun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question About Hoods   Question About Hoods Empty

Back to top Go down

Question About Hoods
Page 1 of 1