BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down

Go down 
+6
MASShole9C1
1984twodoor
8bud
Matt Trakker
sdstick
bfurches
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bfurches

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Empty
PostSubject: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, like I posted in the other area, the Caprice is back at the house and ready for some surgery. I have been working really hard acquiring parts and coming up with a game plan. I really want to make some passes this season, and I have decided to set a deadline of September 9th for myself. I want the car ready for the ECIRS drag day at Lebanon Valley....and this might me optimistic....but I am looking for a 10.9x slip.

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-4
___________________________________________________________________________________

I decided that I am going to stay on a drag radial since the car will see a ton of street time, but I wanted to step up in size. I am a big fan of the Mickey Thompson ET Streets, and since I am doing a gear change this season (going 4.10s), I wanted a tall tire to help out with the gear on the highway with the 3spd transmission. I settled on a set of 315/60r15. I thought for sure I was going to have to do a mini-tub, but after the test fit this morning....well....just check out the pics!

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-2-1

Looks like if I roll the lip and use the offset lowers, I should have a PERFECT fit without touching the stock tub!

I also started on the body bushings today. I didn't get too far before work, but I did get EVERY bolt out and not one of them broke. I couldn't be happier about that! Thank god for cars from Florida haha.

I am using the Energy Suspension bushings....and oddly enough, my car had the two infamous missing caprice bushings from the factory? Maybe it was just a 91-96 thing?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3%2E4136

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-3-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-4-1
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:09 pm

I thought the missing bushings were JUST an impala thing

Correction: All 94-96 B-Bodys EXCEPT the 9C1
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Wow, I guess my '93 must have them all then? I thought it was 91+ too.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm

sdstick wrote:

Thanks for clarification.
Really weird gm strayed from running all the bolts after so many years?

I have to run down to Fastenal in the morning and see if i can get some stainless bolts to replace the stock junk.
Back to top Go down
8bud

8bud

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

bfurches wrote:
sdstick wrote:

Really weird gm strayed from running all the bolts after so many years?
GM was good like that, they did it to the G-bodies, too. Only the GNX got the full bushing treatment, iirc. Good luck with the build, you'll make it in time I've got faith in ya. Arrow
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Already ran into the first complication LOL

So everything was going pretty smooth this morning. I lifting the body with a 4x4 and my jack. Started in the rear, and was getting ready to start replacing the bushings. I was amazed how clean the frame still is. Even the keyways for the oe bushings were perfectly intact:

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-10
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-2-2

Per the Energy Suspension instructions, you are supposed to reuse the inner metal sleeve/ tapered washer cast setup (which is also not available through GM as a service part...nor was it ever. It is considered part of the OE bushing).

Basically they wanted me to reuse these:

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-5-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-7-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-6-1

As you can see in the photos, they are pretty much trashed (and yes...that was one of the better ones LOL). I called the tech-line and asked their guys what they thought I should do about this since the inner sleeves aren't available...

The idea was tossed around of me machining a new inner sleeve and running a washer on top, but that brings us to the next dilemma. The bushings are formed in a way to accept the inner tapper of the cast sleeve...so If i were to machine a typical straight sleeve and just run a washer up top, the bushing would have about a 1/3-1/2" of side to side available on the upper portion. Sorta hard to see in the picture, but you might get the idea:

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-13

Basically this would induce an even sloppier feeling then oem. I got pretty irritated with the situation and lowered the body down as far onto the frame as I could with the bushings removed:

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-8-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-9-1
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-4-2
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-12

There is still a 1/4-1/3" gap on some of the pads (being that some pads are a further distance from the body while others rest on the body). It looks pretty nice with the bottom of the rocker box tucking the frame.

I think I am just going to machine some half height aluminum body mounts from 6061 round stock and keep the body as low as possible.

...it's always something...
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Prepare to crack your windshield etc with solid mounts

If you could get all new ones @ $12.84ea would you?
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:36 pm

sdstick wrote:

No i wouldn't.
(I am already into the ES bushings for 105.00, add on 12.84 each (x12 for the 14 sleeves I would need to maintain the polys), and I am into bushings that I really didnt want in the first place for well over 250.00.

Full frame cars have been racing a long time with solid mounts without cracking windshields. It's actually very common practice with G-Bodies.

Actually, a lot of g-bodies remove the mounts all together and weld the body to the frame when going beyond a 10pt cage...

Last edited by bfurches on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Those metal pieces are cast? Can you just wire wheel them? Prob. a useless Q, I'm just confused.

I'm shocked seeing the black paint under where the body mount was there.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

You and me both! LOL Every pad is like that, it really is amazing.

To answer your other question, yes I could wire wheel/ sand blast them, but there are a few which are extremely pitted anyways and wont really clean up. I am not comfortable resuing them. Once the cage goes in over the winter....that's it. Body can't come back off without cutting the cage out...so it's one of those things I want to do once and do right.

I just feel this is a poor design on Energy Suspensions part. There is no reason they couldnt have molded the bushings without the shoulder and simply included a new integral sleeve like they do with so many of there other kits. Why would they require you to use a stock item that was never available seperatley to begin with?

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm

bfurches wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

You and me both! LOL Every pad is like that, it really is amazing.

To answer your other question, yes I could wire wheel/ sand blast them, but there are a few which are extremely pitted anyways and wont really clean up. I am not comfortable resuing them. Once the cage goes in over the winter....that's it. Body can't come back off without cutting the cage out...so it's one of those things I want to do once and do right.

I just feel this is a poor design on Energy Suspensions part. There is no reason they couldnt have molded the bushings without the shoulder and simply included a new integral sleeve like they do with so many of there other kits. Why would they require you to use a stock item that was never available seperatley to begin with?

Me three! And I'm very jealous!

All of mine are still inside of the body and I can't get to them until I start to remove the body from the frame. I HOPE that mine aren't too pitted. I plan on using them anyway. Steve had used his old ones too I believe. I know what you mean about the BS with Energy Suspension designing them like that! I have two NOS rubber mounts for a box that when I saw them I did one of these Question then this scratch then this! Mad I was hoping that they really were just sleeves! Oh well Rolling Eyes can't win them all!

If you were to machine them, and that's a big if probably, then I'd buy two full sets...no joke! I can assure you I'm not the only one. And the EIRCS, or whatever they call themselves, guys would probably LOVE you and certainly let you in if they were massed produced by you Arrow
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
If you were to machine them, and that's a big if probably, then I'd buy two full sets...no joke! I can assure you I'm not the only one. And the EIRCS, or whatever they call themselves, guys would probably LOVE you and certainly let you in if they were massed produced by you Arrow

I stopped at my machinist's place today on the way to work. I brought him the energy suspension mounts and some sketches I came up with. Hes going to pump out a set of the mounts for me hopefully this week. I am going with a 2-1/4" OD with half the height of the original mounts to bring the body down a little. I will post pics when I get them back....plenty of other stuff to do in the mean time.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:59 pm

The abundance of box Chevy caprices sure is drying up around me.

I stopped at 4 different yards today in search of tail lights, reverse lamps and corner markers as well as some manual door regulators.

Out of the 4 yards I stopped at, only ONE had a caprice...and it was 200% stripped (I am not even sure why it was still in the yard) LOL.

Anyways....I think I tracked down a motor plate locally today. It's a really nice KTS piece. The guy is going to measure the width for me tonight so as long as it is wide enough, I can work on blocking up the motor in the bay this weekend.

http://www.ktsracecars.com/images/aamtrplateB.jpg

I might just build a midplate and trace my transmission case, but I am undecided.

I also picked up a stocker th350 from my friend. I am going to have to snap it apart and order up some parts. I am not sure who I am going to go with for the valve body...but I am guessing since Art Carr is out of business I will probably get stuck with a TCI.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

I found an excellent source for LSx motor plates. I ordered this piece today as opposed to the KTS one I was going to pick up (it was only 29.5" wide, I needed 32").

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Lsxplate

CNC machined, 6061 aluminum, 1/4" thickness and 10x36 (plenty of length to get the correct offset ontop of the frame rails).

Plate ships Monday.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Not really a "racing" update, but I am still stoked.

At the junkyard yesterday, there were two Caprice Broughams side by side....and BOTH had the optional trunk carpet kits (carpet on the floor, spare tire cover, side cardboard sail panels and jack cover.

My car didnt come with this option from the factory, and it has been long discontinued (so long that my local dealers don't even show a part number LOL).

Anyways, for 10 bucks, I grabbed both sets and figured I could make one good set out of the pair. Spent a lot of time scrubbing this morning (little guy gave me a hand), and all said and done, it looks almost new. Kinda hard to tell in the pics, but it is extremely clean!

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-2-3

And I also threw the battery box in there for hahas to see what it would look like.

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-14

The only problem I am running into, is that my car doesent have the studs from the factory closest to the headlights where the clips thread on to hold the carpet. I am probably just going to get some big christmass tree fender clips to retain the carpet. If it looks loose in the pics, it is because it is! lol. I have to take it back out and clean the trunk floor one more time before installing for good.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm

FWIW, my 9C1 has the same issue. No threaded studs to mount the carpet since it came with a 1 piece "heavy duty" trunk mat. I plan to hunt down the proper thread side bolt/washer combo that'll fit the round plastic retaining nuts, line up the carpet holes, drill from inside, mount the bolt from behind the tail lights/bymper cover, sand, weld in the new "studs", and just paint to prevent rust obviously. I don't remember how the box trunk is set up tho.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 am

Surprised Stop finding all of the parts I want Sad

Looks good though! Arrow
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 am

Matt, i have almost a complete spare set. All pieces will clean up except for the passenger side sail. I take it i should put this with the rest of your pile lol
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 pm

bfurches wrote:
Matt, i have almost a complete spare set. All pieces will clean up except for the passenger side sail. I take it i should put this with the rest of your pile lol

Arrow I'm gonna wait to come out until you've gone through the treasure trove I wish I saw first! Let me say DIBS to whatever he doesn't want! Post things when I'm done, if there is any left lol.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm

sdstick wrote:

I wouldn't worry about cracking your windshield with solid mounts, but do get ready for more NVH, all things being equal.
If a cage happens, then solid mounts will be a VERY smart choice, as this will "tie it all together" & eliminate rubber deterioration issues down the road.
Been off-line for nearly 2 months with computer issues.
Trying to post some good affordable solutions to the body mount topic.
Can't figure out the new iMac/Lion<->PhotoBucket image transfer process.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey Glenn! Good to see your still out there!

My mounts should be done friday, and if everything fits well and etc (knowing the guy I am working with....I have NO doubts they will), I may offer these as kits to the racing b-body enthusiast.

Regardless...my mid plate came in today. Gotta love Jegs. Call them up and order a part at midnight on Saturday and it's on my door step this morning!

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-3-5

I also changed my trunk struts today and now the trunk stays up under its own power!

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-15
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-2-5

I think it's strange that my trunk utilizes struts. Every other caprice I have seen in the salvage yard has a torsion rod setup to support the trunk? Also from what I have read online, it appears to be a 1-year only thing? (unless I am mistaken).

Hopefully the front motor plate will be here tomorrow or friday. I should be picking up my aluminum hood on Sunday (thanks again Steve!). It's slowly coming together!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I was just going to say, I don't think I've ever seen a box-body anything with those trunk struts, good thing you were still able to find them!
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I was just going to say, I don't think I've ever seen a box-body anything with those trunk struts, good thing you were still able to find them!

Advanced Auto had them same day for 18.00 each. Not to shabby.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 pm

bfurches wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

I can honestly say I've NEVER seen or heard of the trunk struts! I've only known about the tension rods!

DIBS on that aluminum hood if you part with the car Surprised Can't believe you found that STILL! The only I've seen was being run over by the front end loader at the yard! It was a VERY sad moment Sad It was in great shape other than the concave design and tire track. Mad
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
bfurches wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

I can honestly say I've NEVER seen or heard of the trunk struts! I've only known about the tension rods!

DIBS on that aluminum hood if you part with the car Surprised Can't believe you found that STILL! The only I've seen was being run over by the front end loader at the yard! It was a VERY sad moment Sad It was in great shape other than the concave design and tire track. Mad

Yea, its really weird. The part listing appears to be a one year only thing??

As for the hood....I can't believe I found it either....which is why I jumped on it. I could not find ANY documentation of a Caprice or Impala ever being offered with a aluminum hood (and this one is actually off an Olds 88), the hood lines are a little different but they come to the same point on the header panel (just a little backwards. Caprice is raised center, olds is concave centered)....so I may have to do a little work on the header, but no biggie.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

bfurches wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
bfurches wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

Yea, its really weird. The part listing appears to be a one year only thing??

As for the hood....I can't believe I found it either....which is why I jumped on it. I could not find ANY documentation of a Caprice or Impala ever being offered with a aluminum hood (and this one is actually off an Olds 88), the hood lines are a little different but they come to the same point on the header panel (just a little backwards. Caprice is raised center, olds is concave centered)....so I may have to do a little work on the header, but no biggie.

It must be, I've never even heard of it.

I was always under the impression that the (olds) diesel powered caprices got them while some of the olds and buick cars got plastic inner fenders and aluminum hoods. Now THAT is the drag pac setup you need to run! I'd also have the inners painted red just like an old 442 W-30 Laughing

Well, if I can't get aluminum I'll pony up the cash for a fiberglass cowl!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 am

Useless info, but I remember some 1980s boxy Town Cars got aluminum hoods as well.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
Useless info, but I remember some 1980s boxy Town Cars got aluminum hoods as well.

G body cutlass' too!
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 am

1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

G body cutlass' too!

You are 100% right again Matt, I have one off an 81 Cutlass sitting in the shop Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 am

Some gbodys had aluminum rad supports too Wink
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

bfurches wrote:

Yeah, been looking for one of those for a while. They are either damaged, corroded, or someone wants 300-400 bucks for it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 pm

V8Killer wrote:
bfurches wrote:

Yeah, been looking for one of those for a while. They are either damaged, corroded, or someone wants 300-400 bucks for it Rolling Eyes

And in New England I bet someone would want 400 bucks for a damaged and heavily corroded one while advertising it as MINT CONDITION! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Are the aluminum Cutlass panels because of the Olds Diesel option? I remember seeing a Pontiac Grand Prix with the diesel... Shocked
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Are the aluminum Cutlass panels because of the Olds Diesel option? I remember seeing a Pontiac Grand Prix with the diesel... Shocked

I'm not sure about the cutlass getting aluminum for diesels but I was told by someone a long long time ago, I believe it was Brad, that caprice's with the diesel (olds gas converted Rolling Eyes which is awesome when converted BACK to gas!) had the aluminum hood. Now I've got to do more digging!

And that Pontiac must have been RARE! If it was an 80's it's rare as it is because I've only seen a handful of clean examples and if it was diesel then talk about low numbers. Then again, rare doesn't always mean desirable.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:

I'd have to say no. The Cutlass I got my hood from was a 307 gas motor.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 pm

V8Killer wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

I'd have to say no. The Cutlass I got my hood from was a 307 gas motor.

The one I learned about it from was a 79 with a 260 LOL there it is @ 3:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVVisyhy9k&feature=plcp
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 am

Quick Update!

Motor plate came in today. It fits awesome. I would without a doubt recommend this guy for anyone looking to purchase. He has one heck of a price and an awesome product.

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-5-4
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-4-4

...and now for some comic relief:

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-16

What do you guys think of my dash mount victory counter LOL
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Victory / Kill counter
Thats a riot Razz
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Haha, that is great!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the motor plate for? Does it add more stability to the engine/help set it up where it needs to go, or does it take the place of standard motor mounts?I don't think I've ever seen one in person...
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Haha, that is great!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the motor plate for? Does it add more stability to the engine/help set it up where it needs to go, or does it take the place of standard motor mounts?I don't think I've ever seen one in person...

The front and mid plate replace standard mounts. By doing this, you open up more header room around the sides of the motor, the engine can be placed more acuratley, and the motor is tied into the chassis by the front and rear as opposed to stressing the center/forwardish cylinders.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 pm

bfurches wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:
Haha, that is great!

The front and mid plate replace standard mounts. By doing this, you open up more header room around the sides of the motor, the engine can be placed more acuratley, and the motor is tied into the chassis by the front and rear as opposed to stressing the center/forwardish cylinders.

The more you know Idea Matt I'm glad you asked the question I was too afraid to ask! Razz

Love the counter BTW
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 3:00 pm

This photo might give you a better idea of how the plates work and are mounted:

http://www.tnfbody.com/galleries/data/500/Pic3.JPG

It's really just one more way of skinning a car.....but what that really translates too is that I need to pick up my transmission case monday and get the motor in the car!
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 3:46 pm

So today was a pretty awesome day. I took a ride out to Saugus and Revere MA to round up some parts including my new found aluminum hood. (THANKS AGAIN STEVE)

The hood is extremely light weight (very comparable to fiberglass hoods I have installed), and in excelletn shape for the year....but there was one let down....the hood is like 3-4" too long LOL

It fits between the fenders perfect, has the same fender bow, same rounded edge in the back as the caprice....but the front has a slightly more dramatic point and is overall longer. I think I will be able to remove a section and narrow the front a little, so I am not worried about it.

The first part of my trip was to pick up a but-load of NOS boxy caprice parts....and MAN did I score for the price.

I have an amazing amount of small items and etc to pick through...I will have some posted tonight...along with a few things for sale Wink

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 12:23 am

bfurches wrote:
So today was a pretty awesome day. I took a ride out to Saugus and Revere MA to round up some parts including my new found aluminum hood. (THANKS AGAIN STEVE)

The hood is extremely light weight (very comparable to fiberglass hoods I have installed), and in excelletn shape for the year....but there was one let down....the hood is like 3-4" too long LOL

It fits between the fenders perfect, has the same fender bow, same rounded edge in the back as the caprice....but the front has a slightly more dramatic point and is overall longer. I think I will be able to remove a section and narrow the front a little, so I am not worried about it.

The first part of my trip was to pick up a but-load of NOS boxy caprice parts....and MAN did I score for the price.

I have an amazing amount of small items and etc to pick through...I will have some posted tonight...along with a few things for sale Wink

At least they went to a good boxy owner and aren't in a dumpster..........(still jealous!)
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I had an absolute blast last night!

I took my friends 1966 Chevelle SS to Lebanon Valley for the test and tune.(he bought the car brand new in '66. It is one of the nicest examples of these cars I have ever seen).

First pass off the trailer I ran 12.3 @ 111.2, (the best pass of the night was an 11.97 @ 112.75 courtesy of my chassis guy and good friend behind the wheel). The car has a 496/th400 combo, on a 275 radial with bone stock everything else (suspension, body, interior right down to the tach). We feel that car has a solid 11.5x in it with a little more dial in and tuning.

Funny how a little seat time gave me some massive motivation to get the car ready for this race next month.

Looks like it is going to be a busy weekend. If anyone is free on Sunday...I may need an extra set of hands.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Body mounts are done!   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 pm

...and they came out SICK!

I could not be happier with the machine work my guy did on these mounts. They came out beautiful and they fit like a glove. I have to get 6 more flange bolts to secure them, but this is a big step. With the body back down and connected to the frame...I can get the center line, motor and trans all setup/ dialed in!

I used a thin layer of never seize on both mating surfaces of the mount to fight corrosion and act almost as a lubricant.

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-19
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-2-9
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-3-9
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-4-6
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-5-6
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-6-3
9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Temporary-7-2
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm

^Those came out awesome
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:59 pm

I dont know what that energy suspension lube really is, but that also works well to keep moisture out.
It's nasty stuff to work with because its so damn sticky & messy but it'll keep the bolts clean
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:04 pm

sdstick wrote:
I dont know what that energy suspension lube really is, but that also works well to keep moisture out.
It's nasty stuff to work with because its so damn sticky & messy but it'll keep the bolts clean

Did you have to buy it seperate? It wasnt included when I bought there body bushings?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Yes. I bought a 1/2 pint size
Send me your address & I'll shlop some into a container & send it over to you
Gotta save some for Matt too

It's just like clear silicon that never sets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down   9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down Empty

Back to top Go down

9/8/12 Race Day Build Count Down
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next