BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms Empty
PostSubject: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Question, and haven't found the answer via searching, yet...

I want to put a factory rear bar on the yellow Impala. Thing is, the 71-76 GM Passenger (B,C, RWD E body) rear bars are almost unobtainium. They came on a lot of 75-6 Caprices and I think most of the Pontiacs with the Radial Tuned Suspension. I'm going to look around, but no one wants to crawl under a car in a junkyard, esp. if it's a 70s car that's been sitting for 30 years.

From what I've read, the 77-96 rear control arms are the same part as the 71-76 control arms, I think the ? to 72 A body control arms might be the same as those too, but I forget. Some of the 77-96 arms have the predrilled holes for the factory mount brackets. I've seen those aluminum aftermarket ones people use on the wagons to mount the sedan bar with some spacers, and I think they would swap into my '74...

Which brings me to the wagons. I know there's issues putting the sedan bar on the rear of a wagon. I just can't figure out why. What is the difference? Because in my forum travels I've read that a 71-76 rear sway bar will bolt into a 77-96 wagon. How come? My '74 is wider than a 77+ car, especially the rear end. But are the rear control arms spaced the same way? The 71-76 bars don't have the bend in the bar to clear the pumpkin like the newer bars do, I know that.

I'm just trying to figure out if I can swap later rear control arms into my car and use the factory mounting brackets plus a later 9c1 bar like I'm going to do on the white 93, since there's really no aftermarket bar for the '74 other than those addco ones. Why does an older 71-76 sedan bar fit a later 77-96 wagon?

And what's with the Crown Vic rear sway bar, is that just a wagon mod? Is it better?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't see why the panther bar wouldn't work on a sedan, too. Nice cheap fix for a "no bar" problem! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 pm

You're going to have to work quick to get the Panther bar. They've been discontinued by Furd.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
You're going to have to work quick to get the Panther bar. They've been discontinued by Furd.

Ok, yeah. Cuz there's none of them in boneyards anywhere... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Ok, yeah. Cuz there's none of them in boneyards anywhere... Shocked

Thats what I thought but not all P71's got them.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I've got a sway bar from the dark side......
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am

MASShole9C1 wrote:
I've got a sway bar from the dark side......

I do too, My sister won't miss it too much. Just gimme da loot for it mang! Laughing

I had never actually heard about the CV bars into these cars. I'll have to go check out my sisters car now. Maybe I'll steal it for my caprice.

Matt, if I find you a stock one I'll stash it somewhere/get it for you.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

In my travels I found these threads with pertinent info:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=264572

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=265500

http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24532

And a great thread here, (still reading it) I see you went through this too Bill LOL

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=231762

I'm guessing the wagon's LCAs tilt outward at the axle tube end or something, making them wider apart and therefore able to use the 71-76 GM bar, whereas of people want to use the 77-96 bars they move them forward on the LCAs where they are narrower?

Anyway, I'll have to look for the CV bar, I saw some people mention that they used the bigger CV bar from the old Performance and Handling Package model that had the lace wheels, duals, etc. I don't know if I'll need that one compared with my stock 1974 front bar (need to measure that).

So I guess I'd have to drill holes in the chassis someplace, I'll have to take some pics under there to see if there's a place to even do it right. I'm thinking the axle tubes would be the right size as well.

I think I want to put some different more "stock" springs back in the rear of the '74, too. I have the variable rate TRW cargo coils in there, and for some reason it seems bouncy. I think my Bilsteins just don't like them, but I could be wrong. Maybe it would be better with just a more stiff "police and taxi" option rear spring?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms   Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms Empty

Back to top Go down

Sedan vs. Wagon sway bars and control arms
Page 1 of 1