BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Need help with parasitic draw EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Need help with parasitic draw EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Need help with parasitic draw EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Need help with parasitic draw

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

Need help with parasitic draw Empty
PostSubject: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Usually I'm "the wire guy", but this has me saying alot more curse words than usual.

1995 caprice battery keeps going dead, Brian said the battery was old so I put one in from another car.
Battery went dead after checking a few days later, put a battery charger on it and did 12v fast, car started up after about 15 min.
Gauge inside reads the normal 13.5-14v coming in.
Unhooked charger and shut car off. Turned key and it started right up again and amp gauge still reading good
Left car for 30 min and tried again.... DEAD BATTERY.

Got the multimeter out and checked inline for amp draw at the battery, was reading 5+ amps!!!!
Unplugged the power antenna cuz Brian mentioned the motor seemed to stay running after shutting off key. Dropped from 5 amps to .488 amps, this is better but not the .015 max it's supposed to be.
Started pulling fuses and it ended up coming down to the radio fuse, after pulling the 15a radio fuse amp draw goes down to .002

So now I put the battery cable back on and go to the radio harness.

Now there is an aftermarket radio in the car it is NOT cut in, it was wired with a harness kit and done correctly.
Here's the facts:
-Yellow wire is getting .488a draw in between the factory wire and the radios wire.
-With a test light I'm getting weak power at each of the 4 speaker wires with radio and car off.
-Connecting the blue antenna wire to the factory harness I can hear and audible click from the relay under the dash (with power ant disconnected at the firewall harness)
-with all radio wires hooked up I get power to the blue antenna wire with the car off.

My question is
A) should I be getting power at the speaker wires at all??
B) is this a ground problem?
C) any one know what else runs on the radio fuses in the panel (I believe it's #9 and #30)

Anyone have a shop manual with the schematics and can walk me through it?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:14 pm

For all your wiring questions
http://ss.lencolab.com/

I've never chased this stuff down so I'd be doing just what your doing

If you need me to look at specifics on my pc instead of your phone...ask away
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 pm

# 9 is radio & ignition
# 30 is radio only
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 pm

I see well pulling either one make the amps drop to .002
I wish I had a factory radio to test the actual radio, I'm getting power into the aftermarket one, but it's sending power out to the speakers and the antenna. Maybe something internally broken in the cd player, but I'm almost positive it's almost brand new.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
I see well pulling either one make the amps drop to .002
I wish I had a factory radio to test the actual radio, I'm getting power into the aftermarket one, but it's sending power out to the speakers and the antenna. Maybe something internally broken in the cd player, but I'm almost positive it's almost brand new.

If I'm not working tomorrow.. Wanna meet me in like Palmer or sturbridge and you can have the old one from my wagon?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Is it for 1995 caprice?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Is it for 1995 caprice?

It's that stock, pos radio that was in just about every GM car from the 80's and 90's Laughing

Need help with parasitic draw Gm_delco_stereo_5_sacramento_11052148
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Thought u were talking about a shop manual jocolor
That's not the radio that comes in a 94-96. I already have 2 or 3 of those ones.

I'm gonna try another aftermarket radio and see if the amp draw disappears first. Then I'm gonna try wiring directly to the battery.
If nothing changes then I'm gonna start pulling apart the dash board and checking wires and grounds.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I feel like this thread makes me look like an asshole. I just want to clarify here, that this car was daily driven for 2 years, with a new battery. I swapped my 3 year old 9C1 battery in it when it was for sale and it never died in 30 minute intervals. That SAME battery would slow crank the 9C1. When I swapped the new one in the 9C1, it started right up. I had an after market stereo in the car, but it was just plug and play with the harness, no cutting of any kind. When I got the car it had a shitty non working bonneville radio in it. I do remember I had unplugged the power antenna cuz it kept clicking while down with the key out. The only other electrical things i did were hook up HIDs (about a year ago maybe) and used the cigarette lighter light bulb harness to power the PRNDL display on the already installed blazer console (almost 2 years ago). So if that helps any of the diag, great. I feel bad that this car is such a piece.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:43 pm

If the internal limit switch in the antenna is messed up you may get some feedback.
Dark green should go dead after antenna goes full up (or full down)
The ground for that relay is behind the left kick pad

Brian just posted while I was away from my desk.
It's good your a stand up guy & felt the need to post...but...
I doubt anyone considered YOU as part of the problem....my 0.02
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 3:02 pm

It's not anything you did Brian. And actually with the Cadillac's battery it stays juiced for overnight.
So it could be going dead quickly because it's an older battery I put in, but that's not the point of the thread. The Point is I'm getting a draw that is not supposed to be there and my OCD is kickin in and I want it fixed. I don't think a 1/2 an amp is gonna kill the battery this quickly. But all online site's say anything more than .015 will kill the battery in 24-48 hrs. I'm at .388

I hope it's NOT the radio cuz it's a really nice one with an mp3 input. When I take apart the front clip I will check the antenna, I might just leave it up at all times and be done with it.
Sometimes the antenna wire when it touches the metal cd player frame will throw sparks, no idea on that.

Brian you ARE an asshole, but not cuz of this car or its problems Razz
Its also why I considering you a close friend. Arrow
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Ok so I just plugged the antenna back in and hooked up the radio.
With the car off and key out. I touch the constant power wire from radio to the factory power wire and the antenna instantly goes up. (WITH NOTHING ON). I un-touch them and it goes down and continues to "click" every 3 or so seconds, green wire is dead but the white and grey both have power. Steve any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Sounds like the aftermarket radio is giving constant power to the remote turn-on wires. Find a stock deck and see if it goes away.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Thats exactly what I'm thinking, but why? Internal damage? I'm getting another aftermarket deck tomorrow to swap in, the battery was going dead before I installed this radio, but that couldhabe been the antenna?? Or something else?
Serpentine belt IS chirping, even though it's showing 13.5-14v could a slipping belt cause any issues?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 pm

I'll be back

Just wrote a book & posted it.
I wasnt logged in so it threw it all away
I'm not typing again.....call me
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:17 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
Ok so I just plugged the antenna back in and hooked up the radio.
With the car off and key out. I touch the constant power wire from radio to the factory power wire and the antenna instantly goes up. (WITH NOTHING ON).

Whats the constant power wire from the radio?
The radio should have an ON Output wire to energize the antenna relay not constant.
Not sure what you mean factory power wire?
I'd have thought this was the radio power from #9 until you said you touched constant power to it....? Clarify

Ironfistdog wrote:
I un-touch them and it goes down and continues to "click" every 3 or so seconds, green wire is dead but the white and grey both have power. Steve any thoughts?

OK I was wrong about green ALWAYS being gnd. I knew that sounded wrong cuz greens always pwr SOMEHOW...sorry.
Anyway...
When antenna going down (radio off = antenna relay deenergized) White is pwr, green is gnd.
Once it bottoms out, down switch breaks that pwr When you turn radio on (radio on = antenna relay energized) , antenna relay supplies green pwr & Gray gnd.
Once it tops out, down switch breaks that pwr .

White & Gray shouldnt BOTH have power
Antenna internal switch is toast if so

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:27 am

Your probably right about the antenna I made it go up and then unplugged it so it is now a permanent antenna for now.

The power wire I am refering to is the constant 12v (cd player is yellow) car harness side is orange or orange/white.

With all wires hooked up on the radio I am getting constant power to the speakers + side and to the blue remote/ant wire. that's with the car off and key out of ignition. Radio doesn't power up without the key on, but I'm getting power in places I shouldn't. I think the head unit is damaged.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with parasitic draw   Need help with parasitic draw Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with parasitic draw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-
Jump to: