BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Suspension Downgrade EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Suspension Downgrade EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Suspension Downgrade EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Suspension Downgrade EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Suspension Downgrade EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Suspension Downgrade EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Suspension Downgrade EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Suspension Downgrade

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SPCS

SPCS

Suspension Downgrade Empty
PostSubject: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Imagine a 1993 TBI car with 25k miles. A new car, pretty much. Only problem: It has the "Soft Ride" suspension setup. Ever tried driving something like that? It's plain ridiciulous. I have seen pillows with better handling

Shouldn't be too hard to fix, though. Springs, shocks, swaybars - ok, the body- and control arm bushings are somewhat softer, but that can't make all that much of a difference?

So I took a set of Hotchkis Impala SS Lowering Springs (because they were there), KYB Gas-A-Just Shocks (Sedan up Front, Wagon Shocks in the rear, same reason as above) and added a rear sway bar from a 91 9C1.

I didn't expect much in terms of finely tuned handling, I just wanted some of that very soft ride to go away, and certainly, Hotchkis Springs, KYB Shocks and a 9C1 sway bar, that's gotta be SOME improvement? I was going to swap out the smaller Soft Ride front bar for a 9C1 bar, too, but first I took the car for a test drive.

Oh boy. Not only did I make most of the soft ride go away, I've also created the worst handling, off-balance Caprice I have ever driven. What was an overly comfortable car is now something evil and unpredictable. On flat ground at moderate speeds, it gives a very false impression of a stable, low and level ride, but as you speed up, the front end bounces over every bump in the road, and takes much too long to stabilize, much like a car with bad shocks, while the rear has the perfect combination of stiffness, level ride and comfort. The setup seems to work incredibly (and I mean incredibly, absolutely neutral handling) well in long, fast turns, but try to take a tight turn, and the car will suddenly shift all its weight to the outside front corner.

Now I'm quite sure adding the 9C1 front bar will take care of the cornering issue, but what's up with the bouncy front end? It can't just be the imbalance between Sedan Front and Wagon Rear Shocks.

Long story, short question: Hotchkis Impala springs, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks - any comments? I noticed neither of the two brands come up a lot in the suspension discussions around here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldschoolcustoms.de
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:41 pm

PM sent.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

That's the first time I've heard complaints on the Hotchkis. I've used them many times and love them. I have never run KYB's but have heard nothing but bad stuff about them. It's the internet and all, but maybe try another set of front shocks. Even my cheap Gabriel HD shocks are pretty decent.

You don't have any broken endlinks? Spring is indexed correctly on both sides in front?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I would say the bars are fine, as is the springs. I would look at the KYBs and the tires for the issues. Tires may have too much sidewall, and not enough tread for that setup. You might need some 235/70/15s at least. I would also look at dry rotted bushings. A car that age with next to no miles might have bad bushings. You might not notice them with the soft ride, but now that things are firmed up, the issues that may have been there all along will show their ugly head. And Bill mentioned indexing the springs. This might be an issue too. End of front spring needs to sit end between the two little holes in the front lower control arm spring pocket.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Watching this thread to see how you make out. I'm going to be putting in some similar things in my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension Downgrade   Suspension Downgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension Downgrade
Page 1 of 1