BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

How to flush and refill the power steering system

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

How to flush and refill the power steering system Empty
PostSubject: How to flush and refill the power steering system   How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 pm

I borrowed this from another LT1 related forum and thought I would post it up. Any positive criticism is welcome. Maybe we can add some pics to this. Proceed at your own risk. BE SAFE!

Flush and Refill Power Steering System

Flush procedure:
Raise vehicle so that front wheels are off the ground and free to turn.
Remove steering gear outlet hose (should be the hose that goes from the rack to the reservoir #33) at fluid reservoir and plug the reservoir port . You may want to unmount the reservoir to make it easier to get to the hoses.
Position the steering gear outlet hose (the one you just took off) toward a container to catch draining fluid.
While an assistant is filling fluid reservoir, start and run engine at idle.
Turn steering from lock to lock but do NOT hold it against the stops.
Continue draining until all old fluid is cleared from system. About a quart of fluid is needed to flush the system.
Unplug the port on the reservoir and reconnect reservoir hose.
Turn engine off and fill reservoir to the "C" mark on the level indicator.
Complete by following with bleeding procedure.

Bleed procedure:
Ignition off
Raise front wheels off the ground
Turn wheel full left
Fill reservoir to full cold and leave cap off
With assistant checking fluid level, turn wheel lock to lock at least 20 times. Engine remains off.
Check fluid while turning for signs of bubbles. If bubbles are seen check for any loose connections.
Start engine. With engine idling, maintain fluid level. Reinstall cap.
Return wheels to center and lower wheels to ground.
Keep engine running for 2 minutes
Turn wheels in both directions and verify that it is smooth, quiet, fluid at proper level, no leaks or bubbles.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: How to flush and refill the power steering system   How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 am

And you did this WHY?

That hose always seems to be the nastiest one in the engine compartment.
Only reason I'D touch that is when it gives up due to rust (just happened on the RMW)

Thanks for sharing tho Arrow Cool
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

PostSubject: Re: How to flush and refill the power steering system   How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 am

It is overlooked by most of us and don't realize it till It's to late. I thought it would be a helpful "how to".
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: How to flush and refill the power steering system   How to flush and refill the power steering system EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 am

OK, I get it & your right, I have always overlooked that & if you asked me to do it right, I wouldnt have.
Thanks Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to flush and refill the power steering system   How to flush and refill the power steering system Empty

Back to top Go down

How to flush and refill the power steering system
Page 1 of 1