BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Starter/Flexplate issues

Go down 
+7
mega
96Brougham
95brmw
bowtiepimp
toomanytoyz
sdstick
GasTT
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GasTT

GasTT

Starter/Flexplate issues Empty
PostSubject: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 pm

My Cadillac is having an issue. A few days ago I went to start it and it made a weird noise. I can't really describe it it was loud and scary. Then when the car started it was making some banging knocking noises. I drove the car and it went away. It comes and goes intermittently.

I suspect there is a crack or something in the flexplate. The car cranks more slowly now as if the battery is weak. I had the battery tested and it is good.

Now, I let someone use the car. It is now stuck. The starter just spins freely. Either the starter is broken, or the motor stopped on a broken flexplate tooth. Question is, assuming it is stuck on a broken tooth, can I just turn the engine at the crank and start it? The car is down in RI and I am in the cape so I need to plan ahead. Thoughts or suggestions? Starter or flexplate?
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Crap! Wish I had an answer for you.
IMO If you only plan on 1 trip you need to trailer it.
You need to plan for worst case= expired flex plate.
Even if you started it you dont want to drive it like that.
Unless you have local RI help. That would change your options.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah, that sucks man. May be in for a tow home...

BUT, it could be the starter itself. Maybe the awful noise you were hearing was the gear staying engaged once the car started... And now the solenoid can't kick it out anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 9:05 pm

AAA cheers
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 9:30 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
AAA cheers
+1!
When I did the trans on my 1A2, I replaced the flex plate because of the welds holding the teeth on were cracked. Hopefully its just a starter!

Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

I assumed it was what it was before when I heard noises like that; the catalytic converter breaking up. Started in RI. I drove it to the cape and back to RI. Now I need it back here. I have no AAA and I have no help. I'd rather not blow all that money on a tow. I'd prefer to spend the money on a new flexplate if needed. I also have access to lifts here on cape. If it's just the starter, I have a lifetime warranty on an Autozone vette starter.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am

I'd pull that shield down that covers the flex plate and take a peak. I had a problem with the tan wagon, I'd accelerate and hear a LOUD noise that scared the shit out of me. Sounded like the file plate was broken or something. Pulled the shield off, and a piece of the starter had broken off and was getting tossed around in there. Was a miracle that the starter still worked. The broken piece was supposed to stop the rod on the starter from going out too far. Maybe the issue your having but the starter gave out also?
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:04 am

I might be going to RI area tommorow if ye need a hand. Also when you bought the starter did they give you the shims? IDK if yours needs it but I just did one on a 99 3500 and it had them plus had more teeth. Text me if ya need me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am

I never changed the starter in this. I have the warranty from my Caprice. I'm hoping that's my problem, Paul. A broken starter and not a broken part of my engine.

Ted, call me or text me and let me know when you're heading down. If you go I'd ride with you so I can drive my caddy back. I'll toss you some dough for gas.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 7:33 am

no problem give ya t text when I know whats going on for tommorow
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:17 am

96Brougham wrote:
I'd pull that shield down that covers the flex plate and take a peak. I had a problem with the tan wagon, I'd accelerate and hear a LOUD noise that scared the shit out of me. Sounded like the file plate was broken or something. Pulled the shield off, and a piece of the starter had broken off and was getting tossed around in there. Was a miracle that the starter still worked. The broken piece was supposed to stop the rod on the starter from going out too far. Maybe the issue your having but the starter gave out also?

Starter was broken. Literally.

Got a new Corvette starter for free. Thanks to my Autozone lifetime warranty on the starter I put in my Caprice. Laid on my back in a parking lot with a flashlight and my tools and swapped it out.

Still have a horrid banging noise coming from under the car every now and then. I suspect there is a piece of the starter hanging out in the inspection cover. At least I got the car home. I'm going to put it on a lift tomorrow drop the cover and remove it.

On another note, got my Caprice here finally, too. It's now sitting in a nice big warehouse out of the elements.

Carnage affraid

Starter/Flexplate issues Starter1s

Starter/Flexplate issues Starter2

Starter/Flexplate issues Starter3
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 am

Wow, never seen that happen before...
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:28 am

I just replaced one that looked just like that in a 98 buick lesabre,
Was caused by engine kickback. Possibly from fuel issues,bad PCM, misfiring, crank position sensor, and there was a few other things on the list.
Maybe you got a CPS going?
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:03 am

The car runs absolutely perfect so I don't really understand. No check engine light.
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 am

The one on my tan wagon wasnt split down the middle, but that end piece was broken off like that one. There's def a piece in there getting thrown around by the flex plate, same thing happened on the tan wagon. On hard acceleration it would get tossed around and sounded AWFUL
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 am

My guess is that it stayed engaged when the car started and the engine won the battle.

Good call that it was probably the starter though, Paul. Rolling Eyes Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:57 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
My guess is that it stayed engaged when the car started and the engine won the battle.......

Agreed, that didnt split without a fight.
I've had the solenoid seperate from the body but never split the housing...wow Shocked
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

Holy crap! Never expected to see that!
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm

95brmw Was that your youtube vid? If so the guy in the background talking had me just short of wetting myself with his running comentary.
Back to top Go down
https://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w495/nttyfufu/
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 pm

nttyfufu wrote:
95brmw Was that your youtube vid? If so the guy in the background talking had me just short of wetting myself with his running comentary.

No, my videos are no where near that entertaining Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Ya me neither.
Back to top Go down
https://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w495/nttyfufu/
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm

95brmw wrote:
nttyfufu wrote:

No, my videos are no where near that entertaining Very Happy

Mine just have me swearing and losing my train of thought....awful to watch!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter/Flexplate issues   Starter/Flexplate issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Starter/Flexplate issues
Page 1 of 1